German Players in North America - 2013/14

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks to information provided by user Binary Code, I have added 2 kids (Niko Selivanov and Sebastian Gruhler) currently playing Midget in North America.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Do you know something about Niederbergers situation who's in the ECHL now? Is it safe that he'll get at least some starts there? I was pretty disappointed that he wasn't able to stick with the Manchester Monarchs in the AHL.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Do you know something about Niederbergers situation who's in the ECHL now? Is it safe that he'll get at least some starts there? I was pretty disappointed that he wasn't able to stick with the Manchester Monarchs in the AHL.

I don't really know anything about his situation, but my guess would be, that he will get some starts. His team has only played 1 game in the regular season so far, in which the other goalie got a shutout. The also played 2 pre-season games. Niederberger played in one of them and stopped 37 of 38 shots. This is really nothing more than a guess, but I think they will share the games between both goalies at least in the beginning, until one emerges as a clear number one.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Very intrigued about Niko Selivanov. Some interesting bloodlines.
Father 500 NHL games mother daughter of Phil Esposito.

Additionally a good youth Program he is attending and his stats look very good. Can somebody tell me more about his play.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
I have to say, I'm very disappointed in how Noebels and Abeltshauser are playing. Noebels really should be playing better, he showed how good he could play last year but now I don't know what happened. Abeltshauser should be playing better also he's already been scratched a couple times even if he's new to the AHL. Rieder on the other hand is playing better than I expected.:handclap:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Since I am spending Christmas at my parents' place, my time on these boards is somewhat limited, so this thread may not be as frequently updated as usual.
When I get back home this weekend I will temporarily add a list with the WJC-statistics for the German team.

Finally I just want to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas!

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
As you can see in the OP, another German has mad a mid-season move to North America. Goalie Kevin Reich has already played 3 games for the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the USHL.

Last edited:

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
There are currently some rumours about a German having signed with an NHL-team floating around.

Not much about who it is, but the options are rather slim. Felix Schütz is having a pretty good year in the KHL, but somehow I doubt it's him. The only other two who have the right age and talent that I can see are Jerome Flaake and David Wolf, everyone else is either too old or not good enough for an offensive role while lacking the size and physicality for any other role.
Wolf already has been to a summer-camp, has the size and physicality which would allow him to find a role even if he weren't good enough to make it on a scoring line, and kind of slipped in a tv-interview last Sunday when he mentioned a possible move in the near future before correcting himself.
Flaake should have the most talent of the three, but while he has the necessary size and balance to keep the puck away, he isn't nearly as physical as Wolf is.

It being Wolf or Flaake would also explain the rumours about Hamburg looking at offensive additions beyond the also rumoured Clarke deal. The offense looks pretty much set, but if one or both of them leave there would obviously be a need for a replacement. That's just my speculation though ;)

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Freddy Tiffels has found a home in Cedar Rapids. His point production has increased since his arrival here and is playing extremely well. He is centering the 2nd line and has one of the best sets of hands I have seen in a long time in the USHL. Saturday night he ended a 9 round shootout by scoring on felllow countryman Kevin Reich.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Dominik Kahun has signed with Red Bull München for next season.
There is a chance he will play for Salzburg in the MHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the DEL right away.

Looks like Red Bull is really trying to build a team with young German players.
Reich, Treutle, Bender, Herpich, Merl, Kahun, Ritter, Sedlar to name a few.

Hopefully they will succeed in developing them properly.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
There were rumours about München being interested in pretty much all the more well known young Germans currently playing AHL/ECHL/major juniors, so this doesn't come as a surprise. Will be interesting to see if anyone else will join him.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
There were rumours about München being interested in pretty much all the more well known young Germans currently playing AHL/ECHL/major juniors, so this doesn't come as a surprise. Will be interesting to see if anyone else will join him.

not sure about the AHLers, but red bull has the goal to have 10 germans, 10 austrians and 10 other on their MHL team. they were not even close to 10 germans this season because they started to recruit too late. but next season they should achieve their goal and it's quite obvious that they need the most talented germans for the MHL and not the ordinary DNLers. kahun fits well in those plans IMO.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
not sure about the AHLers, but red bull has the goal to have 10 germans, 10 austrians and 10 other on their MHL team. they were not even close to 10 germans this season because they started to recruit too late. but next season they should achieve their goal and it's quite obvious that they need the most talented germans for the MHL and not the ordinary DNLers. kahun fits well in those plans IMO.

I could also see them trying to get guys like Shevyrin or Andreas Eder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad