German Players in North America - 2013/14

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
[size=+2]Junior (OHL/WHL/QMJHL/USHL/NAHL/Midget)[/size]

Pos | Name | Team | League | Game Type | GP | G | A | P | PIM | +/- | DOB
C|Leon Draisaitl|Prince Albert Raiders|WHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-10-27
RW|Markus Eisenschmid|Medicine Hat Tigers|WHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-01-22
F|Sebastian Gruhler|OHA Maroon Mavericks Midget AAA|OEMHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1996-03-08
F|Maximilian Kammerer|Regina Pats|WHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1996-09-28
F|Lukas Laub|Minnesota Magicians|NAHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1994-05-29
F|Marc Michaelis|Minnesota Magicians|NAHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-07-31
F|Niko Selivanov|Shattuck St. Mary's Midget AA|Midget|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1998-09-23
F|Huba Sekesi|||Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1993-09-05
F|Denis Shevyrin|Minnesota Magicians|NAHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-03-29
F|Nico Sturm|Austin Bruins|NAHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-05-03
LW|Frederik Tiffels|Western Michigan University|NCAA|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-05-20
F|Parker Tuomie|Sioux Falls Stampede|USHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-10-31

D|Lukas Gärtner|Phoenix Junior Coyotes U18|MWEHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-01-25
D|Janik Möser|Ohio State University|NCAA|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-09-26

Pos | Name | Team | League | Game Type | GP | Minutes | GAA | Pct. | W | L | OTL | DOB
G|Marvin Cüpper|Shawinigan Cataractes|QMJHL|Regular Season|0|0:00|0.00|.000|0|0|0|1994-02-16
G|Kevin Reich|Dubuque Fighting Saints|USHL|Regular Season|0|0:00|0.00|.000|0|0|0|1995-10-26

[size=+2]Pro (AHL/ECHL)[/size]

W|Tom Kühnhackl|Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins|AHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1992-02-21
C/W|Nickolas Latta|Hartford Wolf Pack|AHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1993-10-05
LW|Marcel Noebels|Lehigh Valley Phantoms|AHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1992-03-14
RW|Tobias Rieder|Portland Pirates|AHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1993-01-10
LW|David Wolf|Adirondack Flames|AHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1989-09-15

D|Konrad Abeltshauser|Worcester Sharks|AHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1992-09-02
D|Korbinian Holzer|Toronto Marlies|AHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1988-02-16

Pos | Name | Team | League | Game Type | GP | Minutes | GAA | Pct. | W | L | OTL | DOB
G|Philipp Grubauer|Hershey Bears|AHL|Regular Season|0|0:00|0.00|.000|0|0|0|1991-11-25
G|Elmar Trautmann|Bradford Rattlers|GMHL|Regular Season|0|0:00|0.00|.000|0|0|0|1993-10-30
G|Rob Zepp|Lehigh Valley Phantoms|AHL|Regular Season|0|0:00|0.00|.000|0|0|0|1981-09-07

[size=+2]Pro (NHL)[/size]

C|Leon Draisaitl|Edmonton Oilers|NHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1995-10-27
C|Marcel Goc|Pittsburgh Penguins|NHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1983-08-24

D|Christian Ehrhoff|Pittsburgh Penguins|NHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1982-07-06
D|Korbinian Holzer|Toronto Marlies|NHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1988-02-16
D|Dennis Seidenberg|Boston Bruins|NHL|Regular Season|0|0|0|0|0|0|1981-07-18

G|Thomas Greiss|Pittsburgh Penguins|NHL|Regular Season|0|0:00|0.00|.000|0|0|0|1986-01-29

[size=+2]NHL Draft 2014[/size]
Round | Pick | Name | DOB | Team
1|#3|Leon Draisaitl|1995-10-27|Edmonton Oilers

[size=+2]CHL Import Draft 2014[/size]
Round | Pick | Name | DOB | Team | League
No German players selected

[size=+2]USHL Entry Draft 2014[/size]
5|#80|David Trinkberger (D)|1996-08-25|Muskegon Lumberjacks
11|#169|Marc Michaelis (LW)|1995-07-31|Youngstown Phantoms

[size=+2]NAHL Entry Draft 2014[/size]
6|#120|Marc Michaelis (LW)|1995-07-31|Minnesota Magicians

Notes:

Injuries/Not Playing:

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
[size=+1]Playoffs[/size]

Away Team || Home Team | Result | Series | GP | Goals | Assists | Points | PIM | +/-
|||| Total | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0

Last edited:

ficohok*

Just one correction, Justin Krueger signed with SC Bern ;)

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
Alex Sulzer isn't signed for next year with the Sabres (yet).

But i'm pretty optimistic he'll get an extension, especially because the Sabres are probably going to be very active this off-season and could possibly trade away 2-3 guys of their defensive core.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Alex Sulzer isn't signed for next year with the Sabres (yet).

But i'm pretty optimistic he'll get an extension, especially because the Sabres are probably going to be very active this off-season and could possibly trade away 2-3 guys of their defensive core.

I know, but i was kind of lazy and am hoping he gets to stay there, that's why I just kept the Sabres as his team until it is final where he is going to play. ;)

But thanks for the response, it is good to know, that people will point out any mistakes I make in this thread.

the skipper

Jan 16, 2010
Canada
I admit I have not looked this up recently but how is Tom Kühnhackl coming along? Such high hopes for him a few years back. Keep up the good work Maverick

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I admit I have not looked this up recently but how is Tom Kühnhackl coming along? Such high hopes for him a few years back. Keep up the good work Maverick

That is a very good question. Unfortunately I have no answer. He hasn't played much due to several injuries and one lengthy suspension, during his time in Niagara.

If he can't stay healthy for this coming season, I don't see much of a future for him in the NHL. At least not the way I thought he would have 2-3 years ago.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
i personally think he kuehnhackl looked great in his AHL games until his injury. still a bit shy, the long suspension really make him lose some grit in his game, but the skill was there.
but his injury of course ruined the season.

if he is healthy at the start of the season i expect a very good AHL campaign from him. 2 years in the AHL and then he should be able to knock at the door of the NHL.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I just checked up on some of the articles about the USHL-Draft on the websites of the teams that drafted German players.

I think it's kind of funny that the Sioux Falls Stampede apparently mixed up Janik Möser and Jannik Moser.
It is not really surprising since the names are so similar and there is no "ö" in the English language, but it still makes you wonder.

Here are a few links to articles that have, albeit very little information about the exploits of Tuomie and Möser at the Sioux Falls Camp.

http://www.sfstampede.com/news_article/show/261322?referrer_id=627591-news
http://www.sfstampede.com/news_article/show/261689?referrer_id=627591-news
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.../4402460/sioux-falls-stampede-tryout-thoughts

EDIT: Apparently two more players from Mannheim attended the tryout camp at Sioux Falls. According to a roster sheet I found online, Lennart Palausch and Jan Pavlu were also there.

Last edited:

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Kind of funny how Möser is mentioned as a possible pick for the NHL draft 2014 while Tuomie is 'a little more borderline'. Judging their careers so far, I'd think it's very much the other way round, though Möser does have a bit of a size advantage.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Kind of funny how Möser is mentioned as a possible pick for the NHL draft 2014 while Tuomie is 'a little more borderline'. Judging their careers so far, I'd think it's very much the other way round, though Möser does have a bit of a size advantage.

I guess size has a lot to do with that assessment. I have seen Möser a lot more than Tuomie, but I liked a lot of what I saw. I really hope he can work on his defensive game and his physicality and turn into a complete defenseman. I already like his skating and offensive game a lot.

Tuomie could get into the same situation as Kahun, who gets overlooked a lot, just because of his size.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
What can people tell me about Markus Eisenschmid?

I think this HF-article by Chapin Landvogt is pretty much spot on about Eisenschmid. It really seems to be hurting him to be asked to do so many different things.

I remember that I really liked his game a couple of years ago, but the last few times I watched him (admittedly on crappy streams during the WJC-18) it didn't seem like he developed as I had hoped and expected. He definitely got more physical in this last year, but at some point he, and the teams he is playing for, will have to decide whether he should be more of a scoring forward or a 3rd/4th-line grinder with an edge, which is what he looked like to me at the WJC-18.

Personally I was quite surprised to see him ranked so far ahead of any other German players for this draft by CSS. Then again those guys didn't even rank Dominik Kahun among the North American Skaters.

I don't expect Eisenschmid to get drafted in the NHL draft this year, but if he's coming to play in the CHL next season and does well he might have a chance next year, although I have my doubts.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think this HF-article by Chapin Landvogt is pretty much spot on about Eisenschmid. It really seems to be hurting him to be asked to do so many different things.

I remember that I really liked his game a couple of years ago, but the last few times I watched him (admittedly on crappy streams during the WJC-18) it didn't seem like he developed as I had hoped and expected. He definitely got more physical in this last year, but at some point he, and the teams he is playing for, will have to decide whether he should be more of a scoring forward or a 3rd/4th-line grinder with an edge, which is what he looked like to me at the WJC-18.

Personally I was quite surprised to see him ranked so far ahead of any other German players for this draft by CSS. Then again those guys didn't even rank Dominik Kahun among the North American Skaters.

I don't expect Eisenschmid to get drafted in the NHL draft this year, but if he's coming to play in the CHL next season and does well he might have a chance next year, although I have my doubts.

Thanks

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Mathias Niederberger has apparently signed with the Manchester Monarchs (AHL).
Interesting move.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Mathias Niederberger has apparently signed with the Manchester Monarchs (AHL).
Interesting move.

Thanks for the info and thank god. It would be such a waste of talent if he would have gone back to Germany. Next year I'll watch a lot of Monarch games! :handclap: I love this guy.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So no Germans were selected in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Going into the draft this didn't surprise me, since the most promising prospect for this year, Dominik Kahun, had been sliding in all the rankings throughout the year.

Going into last season, I was sure he would be drafted, and I was also very optimistic regarding Frederik Tiffels and Tim Bender, but after this season it was obvious that none of them were the type of prospects that are highly regarded by the NHL teams.

I am pretty sure that Kahun will have a really good season in the OHL this year making some people wonder, why he was passed over.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Going into last season, I was sure he would be drafted, and I was also very optimistic regarding Frederik Tiffels and Tim Bender, but after this season it was obvious that none of them were the type of prospects that are highly regarded by the NHL teams.

pretty disappointing 2nd half of the season for those guys. i was really hoping for 2-3 germans 6-7 months ago, but the hope got smaller every week.

but the good thing is that most talented germans head to NA these days. so they don't need to get drafted to raise attention. tiffels for example will enter college and has 4 years to impress scouts. and i'm still convinced he will get his NHL contract sooner or later.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
After a disappointing draft (from the german point of view), I really hope that Draisaitl will play a good season and that he'll be picked in the top 10, maybe top 5. What do you guys think? Is this likely or is there some sort of mistrust in german prospects?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
After a disappointing draft (from the german point of view), I really hope that Draisaitl will play a good season and that he'll be picked in the top 10, maybe top 5. What do you guys think? Is this likely or is there some sort of mistrust in german prospects?

I don't know about the NHL scouts, but I have a general mistrust in German prospects. ;)

I still expect Draisaitl to slide in the rankings (though no further than the 20-40 range). But this is partly due to me being a pessimist most of the time in all things German hockey related.
I don't know remotely enough about the other prospects next year (I know barely enough about Leon) to make even an educated guess about where he should be picked, but given what I have seen of him I can say with confidence that I have never seen any German prospect at the same level, and that includes Goc, Kühnhackl and Rieder.

I believe 3 things will be essential for Leon, who has enough hype to be well scouted.

First, he obviously must play a very good (not necessarily an outstanding) season in the WHL, just so that he meets the expectations.

Second, he needs to perform at the World Juniors, at least as well as last year.

Third, he must show improvement in his weaker areas. Particularly his skating needs to be more consistent and better overall. But also he must get a better feel when to pass and when to shoot. Sometimes, especially on the power play, he passes too much and should shoot a little more, because I think his shot, while not spectacular, ist pretty good.

the skipper

Jan 16, 2010
Canada
Interesting about Leon Draisaitl. I saw him for the 1st time at the Juniors in December 2012. He had just turned 17 three (?) months earlier and was the second youngest player in that tournament (I think I'm correct on this). Anyhow, he played with Kahun and Rieder and they formed a pretty good line. Draisaitl has tons of upside and scouts are recognizing this. He is now a top 10 prospect on many lists. Yes, he needs top improve (skating is often mentioned) certain aspects of his game but I believe he is real. I too am losing confidence in German hockey but I'll make an exception with him. If he has a good (hopefully better than last) season, I think he stays in the top 10. I think he has a little something you cant teach players and that counts for a lot.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Interesting about Leon Draisaitl. I saw him for the 1st time at the Juniors in December 2012. He had just turned 17 three (?) months earlier and was the second youngest player in that tournament (I think I'm correct on this). Anyhow, he played with Kahun and Rieder and they formed a pretty good line. Draisaitl has tons of upside and scouts are recognizing this. He is now a top 10 prospect on many lists. Yes, he needs top improve (skating is often mentioned) certain aspects of his game but I believe he is real. I too am losing confidence in German hockey but I'll make an exception with him. If he has a good (hopefully better than last) season, I think he stays in the top 10. I think he has a little something you cant teach players and that counts for a lot.

Must be the Czech part of him. ;)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Can't believe Kahun wasn't picked in the 6th or 7th round. The kid is going to tear up the OHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad