German football season 2023/24

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Incredible!

I obviously wouldn't pick them to do it, but they have a great chance of making it to the finals. Koln hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire this season.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NYRFANMANI

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
My crazy ass hometown club got to the half finals of the DFB Pokal in 2018.

But we didn't beat Bayern on the way there last time. ;)

Next round against FC Kaiserslautern, which is THE DERBY for BOTH CLUBS.

It's gonna get wild!
Oh wait, it's Kaiserslautern? for some reason I thought it was Koln.

Even better for Saarbrucken

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Not sure what's crazier, the fact that there's a 3rd tier team in the top 4, or the fact that there's only one Bundesliga team in the top 4.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
My crazy ass hometown club got to the half finals of the DFB Pokal in 2018.

But we didn't beat Bayern on the way there last time. ;)

Next round against FC Kaiserslautern, which is THE DERBY for BOTH CLUBS.

It's gonna get wild!
Waldhof is for Kaiserslautern by far, but this against the French will probably get heated too.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Openda can finish again now that he's not playing against Real Madrid. Incredible header.

Leipzig puts the game away in about 7 minutes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brendan Aaronson is having his best game in Germany. After causing a lot of chaos in the first half he scores the 2-0, working a nice 1-2 with Vertessen...who had just opened his Union account with a nice goal for the 1-0.

We have a chance to do some real good for our goal differential if we can keep our foot on Werder's throat and don't fall asleep at the back.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's 28 points. Another 6 or 7 from these final 8 games and we should be safe. Currently a 9 and 10 pt lead over Mainz & Köln. Speaking of Mainz, Burkardt scored a brace (his 3rd & 4th goals of the season) to lead them over Bochum.

Really hope he can get back into form to close the campaign and come back from the summer clicking on all cylinders. Not the fastest, biggest, or most technical, the kid just has a great sense for what the attack needs from him and he's pretty good at everything.

Musiala's brace today bumped his rate up to a scorer point every 99.25 minutes and pushed him to 10 goals. The German goal scorer's race could be very interesting with Jamal heating up. Füllkrug has a chance to build on his 11 tomorrow; while Beier & Undav have 12 & 14, respectively, entering their match.

Elsewhere, JoJo got another Goal + Assist for St Pauli today, as they handled Wanner's Elvsberg 2-0. Up to 11 scorers on the season for the 25yo former phenom.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Can't draw too many conclusions from a match against bottom team Darmstadt, but again Kimmich looked so much better as a RB. Musiala also heating up.

Hopefully Pavlocic didn't injure himself (concussion forced substitution?) so badly, that he misses the NT matches.

And regarding Kane's hard collision with the post (you could hear it in the TV broadcast), hopefully it isn't a bad one. At first it looked like it was his knee that took most of the impact, but when he was treated before taken off, it looked like they paid most attention on his shin. As he was able to walk off unaided, it can't a broken bone really.

With Kim and Upamecano back in the squad and nearing full fitness, Dier needs to taken off from the starting line-up. He wasn't good enough today.

Tel keeps his good scoring ratio for the minutes played.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Can't draw too many conclusions from a match against bottom team Darmstadt, but again Kimmich looked so much better as a RB. Musiala also heating up.

Hopefully Pavlocic didn't injure himself (concussion forced substitution?) so badly, that he misses the NT matches.

And regarding Kane's hard collision with the post (you could hear it in the TV broadcast), hopefully it isn't a bad one. At first it looked like it was his knee that took most of the impact, but when he was treated before taken off, it looked like they paid most attention on his shin. As he was able to walk off unaided, it can't a broken bone really.

With Kim and Upamecano back in the squad and nearing full fitness, Dier needs to taken off from the starting line-up. He wasn't good enough today.

Tel keeps his good scoring ratio for the minutes played.
Oddly enough, Dier brings a lot of value in terms of being a long ball threat, which they don't really have otherwise. I'm not sure Tuchel is going to be willing to start Upamecano in any more "big" matches, which they pretty much all are for Bayern at this point, especially with DeLigt now seemingly back in favor

Woot, Stuttgart keeps rolling on. And Augsburg knocking on the door for European spots, lol. And Mainz picking up some desperately needed points.

I'm assuming Kovač probably gets the boot at this point? Wolfsburg shouldn't remotely be in the relegation discussion.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Oddly enough, Dier brings a lot of value in terms of being a long ball threat, which they don't really have otherwise. I'm not sure Tuchel is going to be willing to start Upamecano in any more "big" matches, which they pretty much all are for Bayern at this point, especially with DeLigt now seemingly back in favor

Woot, Stuttgart keeps rolling on. And Augsburg knocking on the door for European spots, lol.

Elsewhere, I'm assuming Kovac probably gets the boot at this point?

Yeah, I think the starting pair needs to come from the trio of DeLigt, Kim and Upamecano. Dier is a fine 4th choice who can get 1 or 2 matches before end of the season if others need a rest.

Long ball ability is a good point, but not really relevant if Kane is playing, at least not through the centre. Even on the flanks, other shorter passing and dribble creating approach/build up plays suits Bayern better, IMO.

As was shown today, although considering the level of the opponent, that long ball strategy might be more of a use against better opposition, if Bayern can't create enough/break through opponent otherwise.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gunna be tricky for Dier to continue playing with Kim grumbling about his PT as well as the injury-returnees. Especially with Kimmich / Laimer on the right, and Davis / Raphael on the left; they're not playing as many 3 CB + 1 FB shapes as they once did.

If TT clings to Dier as anything more than 4th choice down the stretch, the new manager will have a lot of work to do to convince Upa & Kim to both stay.

Will certainly be interesting to see how this Bayern team finishes the season now that things have started to clarify themselves in the back, and Musiala has started to get hot in the creative band. With him playing closer to his best and a strong foundation taking shape in front of Neuer, those jerks could still win the CL.

Hopefully the pill-pushers can keep racking up the wins and finish the job.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Christian Streich will leave Freiburg after this season. End of an era.
I look at him and I see Rupert from Ted Lasso

Anthony_Head.jpg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bummer to hear. Huge fan of what he's done. Hopefully they don't become a merry-go-round.

Yeah, he's been one of the best coaches in Europe for years. Wonder if the Bayern rumors materialize, as I can see Streich & Eberl having a very good relationship...though I'm still hoping he succeeds Nagelsmann if JN is only around through the euros.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Yeah, he's been one of the best coaches in Europe for years. Wonder if the Bayern rumors materialize, as I can see Streich & Eberl having a very good relationship...though I'm still hoping he succeeds Nagelsmann if JN is only around through the euros.
Streich and Bayern? Forget it! He is 59yo and IMO he will never coach a professional team again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad