German football season 2023/24

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Leverkusen do it again, they were losing 1-0 at Dortmund with couple of minutes to go. Earlier Hradecky got a hand on Fullkrug's effort, but it went in via post.

There was a melee during added time, where Boniface got a red at first, but it was changed to a yellow.

And now Stanisic headed in the equalizer and Kusen stay undefeated.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That was probably Leverkusen's toughest game remaining, so going undefeated is again one step closer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Burkardt with another goal to draw Mainz level with Freiburg. Sucks that he doesn't have enough time to make the euro squad because this kid is just so crafty in the final third. Brandt is the only one who has reminded me of a young Müller as much as Joni.

E:
Gruda almost carves out the 2-1...if they stay healthy and stay up, Burkardt - Weiper - Gruda will be an awesome attacking trio next season.

They simply don't lose.

They're a team of destiny and Flo might be the best player in Europe this season.

Reactions: Bon Esprit

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
At this point the stoppage time goals are becoming annoying :laugh:

8 matches (4 league, 3 UEL, 1 Pokal) stand between them and being the first ever team to go undefeated in all comps in a single season. Even though it's the Europa League rather than the CL, I think you'd still likely have to call it the most impressive club season in history if they pull it off. No one has ever done an undefeated treble.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
At this point the stoppage time goals are becoming annoying :laugh:

8 matches (4 league, 3 UEL, 1 Pokal) stand between them and being the first ever team to go undefeated in all comps in a single season. Even though it's the Europa League rather than the CL, I think you'd still likely have to call it the most impressive club season in history if they pull it off. No one has ever done an undefeated treble.
I went back to check. They've scored 28 goals after the 80th minute and, of those 28, 14 were in 90 or later.

7 of the 28 goals in the 80th or later were game tying goals (of which, 4 were in the 90th or later) and 8 were game winning goals (of which, 6!! were in the 90th or later).

It's a remarkable run of luck or form or whatever you want to call it.

Reactions: gary69

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
That depends on what it consists of I guess, for example Celtic won the league, the cup, and the league cup undefeated a few years ago.
Given that Celtic didn't go undefeated in Europe (to my knowledge, although maybe I missed the Celtic UCL win), this doesn't count for what I'm referring to. Undefeated treble as in: wins a treble, undefeated in all competitions. An undefeated domestic treble is amazing, but Celtic didn't have an undefeated season - they lost 6 times in Europe.
I went back to check. They've scored 28 goals after the 80th minute and, of those 28, 14 were in 90 or later.

7 of the 28 goals in the 80th or later were game tying goals (of which, 4 were in the 90th or later) and 8 were game winning goals (of which, 6!! were in the 90th or later).

Combination of both. A big part of it is luck. But a big part of it also is that Leverkusen leave their opponents so absolutely ragged that they're able to expose fatigue late in the game extremely effectively.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It's a combination of talent, play style, confidence/self-belief, and luck. Luck is undoubtedly part of it, but a big part of it is also just how exhausting it is to defend against them. They have some serious weapons around a kid who's playing like the best footballer in Europe this season, and Xabi has them playing a suffocating style that just passes the ball so quickly..

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So schalke got a conditional license for the 3rd division if they do get relegated. Though they're in decent shape to stay up, with a 5pt lead over the playoff spot and a 6pt lead over the auto-relegation spot...Schalke currently having the better GD (-10) than Hansa (-23) or Lautern (-13).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hoffenheim looking like they're ready for the summer. Just completely apathetic & checked out performance against a motivated Bochum side.

EDIT:
Kramaric pulls one back with 20ish still to go. Does Bochum start to crumble?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Hoffenheim looking like they're ready for the summer. Just completely apathetic & checked out performance against a motivated Bochum side.

EDIT:
Kramaric pulls one back with 20ish still to go. Does Bochum start to crumble?
Typical Hoffenheim, world beaters for a month or two, total garbage for another, rinse and repeat. Part of what got Hoeness fired, but none of the bosses since have been able to solve it either.

Mainz victory and a BoMo/Union draw tomorrow starts making things really interesting at the bottom of the table.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Typical Hoffenheim, world beaters for a month or two, total garbage for another, rinse and repeat. Part of what got Hoeness fired, but none of the bosses since have been able to solve it either.

Mainz victory and a BoMo/Union draw tomorrow starts making things really interesting at the bottom of the table.

tbf to them, they don't really have much left to play for. Too far from the top 6...6pts behind Frankfurt...with games against Bayern & Leipzig still on their schedule, and too many points already in the bank to worry about relegation.

At this point they're just getting ready for next year unless they wanted to push for the conference league...that'll still go to the 7th place team assuming Leverkusen wins the Pokal, right?

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
tbf to them, they don't really have much left to play for. Too far from the top 6...6pts behind Frankfurt...with games against Bayern & Leipzig still on their schedule, and too many points already in the bank to worry about relegation.

At this point they're just getting ready for next year unless they wanted to push for the conference league...that'll still go to the 7th place team assuming Leverkusen wins the Pokal, right?
I think so? But what happens if Germany gets the extra CL spot AND Bayer wins Pokal? Still just 5 with one Europa and one Conference League? And if Bayern/BVB//Bayer win CL/EL?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think so? But what happens if Germany gets the extra CL spot AND Bayer wins Pokal? Still just 5 with one Europa and one Conference League? And if Bayern/BVB//Bayer win CL/EL?

My guess is that wouldn't change the total number of European spots, just their allocation. But I don't really know.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Actually everywhere I read about the "European Performance Spot" mentions it being an extra spot. So maybe it will be 5+2+1...in which case Hoffenheim could've still stumbled into an EL spot over Augsburg & Freiburg.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Actually everywhere I read about the "European Performance Spot" mentions it being an extra spot. So maybe it will be 5+2+1...in which case Hoffenheim could've still stumbled into an EL spot over Augsburg & Freiburg.
Still might. Freiburg has been very inconsistent as well and Augsburg has a really tough remaining schedule.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Still might. Freiburg has been very inconsistent as well and Augsburg has a really tough remaining schedule.

Augsburg has the roughest schedule, but Hoffenheim's isn't exactly easy either:

TSG (39pts) has Leipzig (H), Darmstadt (A), and Bayern (H)
SCF (40pts) has Wolfsburg (H), Köln (A), Heidenheim (H), & Union (A)
FCA (39pts) has Werder (H), Dortmund (A), Stuttgart (H), & Leverkusen (A)

It should be Freiburg's spot to lose...which they totally could...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
During his first stint with Dortmund I talked a lot of s*** about Sancho being a product of Haaland, who thought he was better than he was...but he's just been fantastic for BVB of late. Wonderful opener in the war for 4th.

WTF? How was Simons not offsides in the build up to that equalizer?

EDIT:
Oh s*** Ryersen on the far side did play Xavi just onsides, not even a half step between the equalizer and no-goal. Great catch by the VAR.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No penalty after the replay. Could've seen it given, but that would've been soft.

Dortmund can't be this sloppy against PSG. Openda, Sesko, Xavi, Olmo, etc. are fast, but they're not Mbappe.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Damn Simons, great battle against Nico before smashing it off the post, as Openda shanked the rebound.

Xavi & Olmo get over-shadowed by Flo & Jamal, but both are world class attackers in their own rights.

EDIT:
2-1 Sesko tucks in the rebound after Köbel doesn't see a rocket from Schlager until late.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad