German Football 2021-2022

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I forget where I heard this, but I saw someone saying that the best option was keeping Rose, even if you don’t have complete trust in the job he’s doing. If things don’t get better early next season under Rose then you can always go to Terzic mid season at some point. Now, Dortmund has put themselves in a corner, if Terzic struggles next season.

It’s possible though that Rose was the one who said he won’t continue without complete backing. At that point, they either lie to him to keep him or he walks away, so it may not be as simple as keeping Rose without completely backing him.

Anyway, all speculation. Bigger issue I see is that this club can’t find any stability with managers.
But then Terzic - again - has no preseason and no time to implement his ideas. I think in the end it was kind of a mutual decision, the club bosses were not satisfied with Rose's "plan" for improvement and Rose was not satisfied with the lack of total trust in him.

Imo it was the right decision to let him go, the big problem for me was the lack of improvement or at least a visible "plan". The team looked as about the same in the last game as it did in the first. And I can't really tell what kind of football Rose wanted to play. His supposed strength, the pressing was worse than in years before, the defense was shakier than ever and offensively we looked clueless many times. And against good teams we were vastly outclassed. Apart from the fact that there were many injuries and we got good results in the Bundesliga (although we were very lucky in many games), there isn't much in Rose's favor.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jaissle would've been too similiar to Rose and as you say, not much more proven. Same for Maaßen and ten Haag simply isn't available, so not an option. Maybe Urs Fischer, he's doing great work at Union, but - as with Streich in Freiburg - the big question is how it would translate to a bigger club. Svensson had a great start at Mainz but cooled off.

In the end I don't think there is any obviously better candidate and Terzic is the logical choice. But yes, also very unproven.

FWIW Jaissle’s Salzburg is lot better than Rose or Marsch’s RBS were. So hopefully he doesn’t end up at BorussiaCorp :laugh:

Hamburg stays down yet again and Hertha manage to stay up
It would’ve been hilarious had they gone down, but it’s nice to have our little brothers in the first division with us :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: robertmac43

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Kovac at Wolfsburg is official

Hoffenheim also name their new manager, Andre Breitenreiter who just won the Swiss league with Zurich

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
In terms of the other managerial openings, Sandro Schwarz seems likely to go to Hertha once the Russian season ends (he still remained there unlike the other German managers Farke and Gisdol). The favorite for the Augsburg job seems to be Peter Zeidler who is coaching in the Swiss league but has links to the Red Bull system while haven't read on much about the Schalke opening

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
There's a rumor that RBNY are interested in Charles Aranguiz. I've always been a big fan of him dating back to Copa America in 2016. Caught some glimpses of him this season during Champions League. However, hoping someone here can give an opinion on how he looked this season. How far off his prime level is he? Can he play attacking mid at a lower level like MLS? Anything would be appreciated.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Dresden will be Dresden. Goodbye and welcome back, Lautern.
Dynamos are crap, doesn't matter if Dresden or Berlin.

Reactions: cgf

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Schwarz to Hertha is now official, he still will manage Dynamo Moscow is the cup final Sunday before heading to Berlin next week

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Kramer the new Schalke manager, was last with Bielefeld where they sacked him few weeks before the end of the season. Only Augsburg now looking for a new manager

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he does well, he’ll be the next Dortmund manager. There was a chance he would’ve been next in line if Terzic was sacked midseason.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Another skilled former talent wasted his career. Marko Marin retired from football. I remember the "Deisler-type" hype back in the day (Deissler was a different story of course).
Next coming up: Max Meyer.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Getting excited for next year even without Ortega or Gnonto.

Forwards
Awoniyi
Becker
Leweling
Michel
Vogelsammer
Behrens

Midfielders
Khedira
Haberer
Haraguchi
Pantovic
Seguin
Schäfer
Möhwald
Öztunali

Fullbacks
Trimmel
Ryerson
Gießelmann
Puchacz

Centerbacks
Knoche
Doekhi
Baumgartl
Jaeckel
Heintz
Van Drongelen

Goalkeepers
Rönnow
Grill

Reactions: Gecklund

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah when I saw that some 2.Liga teams started their pre-season yesterday, I had to do a double take. Particularly bad for the teams that played Reli (HSV and Lautern) who basically had a 3 week off-season. Most of those guys will only see the World Cup via TV screen as well, but I guess they can take a long nice vacation in December. Tropical luxury resorts must be salivating at the thought of all these wealthy guys looking for vacation spots this coming winter.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Start of the season could be huge for us. After starting the season with the derby against Hertha, we go to Mainz for game 2; before heading home for the Ossi-duel with Leipzig. Week 4, we travel to Schalke, before Bayern comes to the Alte Försterei.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Start of the season could be huge for us. After starting the season with the derby against Hertha, we go to Mainz for game 2; before heading home for the Ossi-duel with Leipzig. Week 4, we travel to Schalke, before Bayern comes to the Alte Försterei.
Shocking!
Two teams who know what they are doing, one that just got promoted, one 16th place team and a mid-table side. Must be against humanity or something.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Shocking!
Two teams who know what they are doing, one that just got promoted, one 16th place team and a mid-table side. Must be against humanity or something.
I guess that depends on how you look at it.

You could also say that we're facing: the 10x defending Champs; the Pokal winning team that beat us out for the final CL spot by a point; the 8th place team...who I suspect will be even better next season if they find adequate CB replacements...our local derby; and a freshly promoted traditionsvereine that has more money than us...

TBH I forgot that Köln beat Mainz out for the final european spot when I made that post. So I thought it was 3 European teams plus the derby.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I guess that depends on how you look at it.

You could also say that we're facing: the 10x defending Champs; the Pokal winning team that beat us out for the final CL spot by a point; the 8th place team...who I suspect will be even better next season if they find adequate CB replacements...our local derby; and a freshly promoted traditionsvereine that has more money than us...

TBH I forgot that Köln beat Mainz out for the final european spot when I made that post. So I thought it was 3 European teams plus the derby.
Union finished in 5th place. AFAIK you didn't lose any important player yet (I read your striker maybe). I don't see trouble vs. Hertha, Schalke or Mainz. Let's see what Bayern will do without Lewa (probably) and Süle.
So, don't worry, though I don't think Union will be that good next year again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Union finished in 5th place. AFAIK you didn't lose any important player yet (I read your striker maybe). I don't see trouble vs. Hertha, Schalke or Mainz. Let's see what Bayern will do without Lewa (probably) and Süle.
So, don't worry, though I don't think Union will be that good next year again.

I see Mainz as a club on our level, with more talent…and Hertha’s a derby, those are always tense.

As for the roster: we’ve already lost Prömel, who was our best midfielder, and Lüthe, our starting goalkeeper who bailed us out in numerous matches.

Our best CB, Baumgartl, was diagnosed with cancer at the end of the season & isn’t going to be 100% this season. We’re likely to lose our star, Awoniyi, this summer.

Our big summer signing, Leweling, tore a ligament while playing for u21s the other week…and finally, I just don’t trust Becker to match the form he hit after Kruse left; which was a big part of our strong close to the season.

Ultimately I will enjoy the season even if we get relegated, so it’s not really stressful…but if Taiwo leaves, almost beating Leipzig to the cup & final CL spot last season, may have been our peak.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
For me, the BuLi used to be a great league to follow - But this last decade not so much.
I don't find much entertainment in leagues where 1 team wins year after year.

Bayern are just sooooo far ahead of any other team these days, no one comes close (10 championships in a row speaks for itself - It is so predictable, it must not even be fun for the BM fans).

CGF, do you see any other teams able to take a championship in the near future?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad