• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Are there any up and coming coaches?

How is Knoblauch when it comes to Xs and Os?
I've been watching HFD for a good chunk of Knoblauch's tenure. He's been running the same system as the parent team. So, if he is some genius with Xs and Os one wouldn't know.

It's kinda shocking to me how there are people who want Knoblauch to be promoted after everyone's been bashing Hartford for the past 4 years. It's not like he just became the Wolfpack coach this season. Or for this playoff run. He's been there for some really mediocre seasons and it's not like HFD's got some stellar track record of development. It's been fine. Not stellar. Not terrible. But because he basically runs the same systems as Quinn and Gallant have, there's no sense of whether he'd be anything like an upgrade. I think he'd be quite similar. HFD is suddenly on a run because it stockpiled vets (lockwood, leschyschyn, carpenter, blidh, Clendening) and have an over abundance of assets with all the prospects on tryouts. To remind everyone, HFD was having a very poor season and was out of the playoffs until all the deals went through.

I don't know who the next Rangers coach should be. But I don't believe Knoblauch would be an upgrade over Gallant. There not some mountain of evidence to prove he would be.

If we're looking for someone that isn't just another NHL retread, can anyone name any college or European coaching options?

Quinn was meh, but Montgomery had a good season (minus the playoffs).

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
View attachment 703544

Lets goooo. Make life hell for a while. Been too comfortable for too long.
I cannot stress just how on board with this I am. They need a royal prick at the helm. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's at a time like this I almost wish Torts was available. There is ZERO true accountability on this team.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
It's a shame there's nobody else on the planet available to coach a hockey team other than Joel Quenville and Daryl Sutter

Incredible how the same guys just float around the NHL to different teams.

There's gotta be some other guys than these two lazy options..

There are, but the onus is on the organization to actually look.

Jon Cooper had never coached in the NHL when Tampa gave him the job.
Colorado was Bednar's first coaching job.
Brind'Amour was an assistant for years with Carolina before they gave him the job, and Carolina was his first assistant job.

That means possibly pulling a David Quinn move out of their hat and getting someone with no experience at this level. I had high hopes for that move when it was made and obviously ended up disappointed - clearly, you have to carefully judge personalities because for some people (like Quinn, apparently) becoming an NHL coach - as with any leadership position - can go to one's head / lead them to micromanage.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
So, a team with clearly worse players (Carolina) is playing a system to stifle the Devils (who look even that much worse in games 1 & 2 as they did against us)?

Makes you think if we were coached differently we might've had a bit more success, eh?

If the players had a game plan and the determination and commitment to execute it, we would've beaten the Devils. Rush teams historically are not successful in the playoffs because if they're defended properly they cannot execute their game plan. This is why I picked the Rangers to win the series - if they were f***ing coached properly, they should've won. Period.

Out with this guy. O-U-T.
Its not that difficult to understand why. Carolina is relentless on the forecheck they are able to expose the Devils weakness which is working the corners and their defense. NJ also had similar problems with the Islanders this year for same reason. Rangers never really were able to dump the puck in and work the corners. They need a couple of guys willing to do the work. That is why I like KK more than Laf. KK may struggle to score but he does a lot better on the forecheck.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
It's a shame there's nobody else on the planet available to coach a hockey team other than Joel Quenville and Daryl Sutter

Incredible how the same guys just float around the NHL to different teams.

There's gotta be some other guys than these two lazy options..
It may be worth it to hire Sutter for the sole purpose of having 10-8-20 waive there NTC at the end of next season . Use the picks wisely and fire Suter after 1 year and have another retool. I know I am desperate.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
-
Its not that difficult to understand why. Carolina is relentless on the forecheck they are able to expose the Devils weakness which is working the corners and their defense. NJ also had similar problems with the Islanders this year for same reason. Rangers never really were able to dump the puck in and work the corners. They need a couple of guys willing to do the work. That is why I like KK more than Laf. KK may struggle to score but he does a lot better on the forecheck.
Well, actually we need more than a couple of guys to work the corners. We need all 3 guys on each line willing to go to work. Tarasenko and Kane were interesting adds at the deadline, but both of them had the habit of ruining shifts because they were often the last dog to the fight.

Kane just wouldn't really engage in the corners. He played like he was afraid of having his career ended by one hit.

Tarasenko, while a freakin ox, was often slow to his spots. He has a lot of disappearing in his game where tries to disappear in the o zone and suddenly find himself open in the slot for a shot. That's great, but you gotta get to the right spots to help retrieve the puck. Finally, as much as I love Zibby and Kreids, that duo has a habit of pulling the puck off the walls too quickly and forcing passes into the slot. They're a far better 5v5 unit when they retrieve pucks and go low to high. But they have bad habits. Same with Panarin. And don't get me started on how different a game Tro and Panarin play. They aren't great at puck support as a duo because Tro is going mach 10 into the corners and Panarin is 30-40 feet away, hanging out along the boards above the circles. We were a bad 5v5 team because we have players who don't have the will, physicality or fortitude to play a winning brand of hockey at even strength. It's really that simple.

What the team really needs is to find a top 6 player who can lead by example and drag the team into the physical battles and the game. Could that be Othmann one day? maybe but i mean that's years away.

Can Kakko turn into an SOB? Maybe, I finally saw signs in the playoffs of him getting angrier.

But we desperately need a guy who isn't Kreider, Panarin and Zibby to lead and change the identity of the team.

Coaching issues? yes.

But actually I think we have a bigger issue in our team construction. Every time we talk about coaching changes, I keep thinking what system or style would fit best for this team and that the best fit style-wise for this current group is really not a winning brand of hockey. And no coach is great at it, because it's pond hockey. A wizard with X's and O's isn't going to fix this crew in the playoffs. Maybe regular season. We need to win battles 5v5 in the playoffs. Right now, we have a team built for the regular season. It's like a team of Mattieu Schneiders.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
-

Well, actually we need more than a couple of guys to work the corners. We need all 3 guys on each line willing to go to work. Tarasenko and Kane were interesting adds at the deadline, but both of them had the habit of ruining shifts because they were often the last dog to the fight.

Kane just wouldn't really engage in the corners. He played like he was afraid of having his career ended by one hit.

Tarasenko, while a freakin ox, was often slow to his spots. He has a lot of disappearing in his game where tries to disappear in the o zone and suddenly find himself open in the slot for a shot. That's great, but you gotta get to the right spots to help retrieve the puck. Finally, as much as I love Zibby and Kreids, that duo has a habit of pulling the puck off the walls too quickly and forcing passes into the slot. They're a far better 5v5 unit when they retrieve pucks and go low to high. But they have bad habits. Same with Panarin. And don't get me started on how different a game Tro and Panarin play. They aren't great at puck support as a duo because Tro is going mach 10 into the corners and Panarin is 30-40 feet away, hanging out along the boards above the circles. We were a bad 5v5 team because we have players who don't have the will, physicality or fortitude to play a winning brand of hockey at even strength. It's really that simple.

What the team really needs is to find a top 6 player who can lead by example and drag the team into the physical battles and the game. Could that be Othmann one day? maybe but i mean that's years away.

Can Kakko turn into an SOB? Maybe, I finally saw signs in the playoffs of him getting angrier.

But we desperately need a guy who isn't Kreider, Panarin and Zibby to lead and change the identity of the team.

Coaching issues? yes.

But actually I think we have a bigger issue in our team construction. Every time we talk about coaching changes, I keep thinking what system or style would fit best for this team and that the best fit style-wise for this current group is really not a winning brand of hockey. And no coach is great at it, because it's pond hockey. A wizard with X's and O's isn't going to fix this crew in the playoffs. Maybe regular season. We need to win battles 5v5 in the playoffs. Right now, we have a team built for the regular season. It's like a team of Mattieu Schneiders.

Oh man if Othmann could turn into our Marchand.....

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Oh man if Othmann could turn into our Marchand.....
Marchand became Marchand in part because he showed up on a team that had good leadership already. Bergeron and Chara. Marchand on a shitty team is Sean Avery but with more skill. That's what scares me about my own suggestion. I don't see Othmann as a great gatekeeper. See this year. He has nothing to prove in juniors and his game slacks a bunch. Meaning, his discipline, his focus, his ability to lead others, that's not nec his thing. He's a catalyst. But a catalyst on an undisciplined, unled team is just a sh*t-disturber who could be very undisciplined and almost seem like a problem. A Marchand needs to be on a team with a strong, solid leader of men.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I've been watching HFD for a good chunk of Knoblauch's tenure. He's been running the same system as the parent team. So, if he is some genius with Xs and Os one wouldn't know.

It's kinda shocking to me how there are people who want Knoblauch to be promoted after everyone's been bashing Hartford for the past 4 years. It's not like he just became the Wolfpack coach this season. Or for this playoff run. He's been there for some really mediocre seasons and it's not like HFD's got some stellar track record of development. It's been fine. Not stellar. Not terrible. But because he basically runs the same systems as Quinn and Gallant have, there's no sense of whether he'd be anything like an upgrade. I think he'd be quite similar. HFD is suddenly on a run because it stockpiled vets (lockwood, leschyschyn, carpenter, blidh, Clendening) and have an over abundance of assets with all the prospects on tryouts. To remind everyone, HFD was having a very poor season and was out of the playoffs until all the deals went through.

I don't know who the next Rangers coach should be. But I don't believe Knoblauch would be an upgrade over Gallant. There not some mountain of evidence to prove he would be.

If we're looking for someone that isn't just another NHL retread, can anyone name any college or European coaching options?

That's a given, but where did Knoblauch come from and what are his strengths/views? He's an unknown to me.

I want a Rob Brind'Amour. Sutter is the only guy, that I know of, that can get his team to be strong 5v5 and give a consistent effort. He's not going to pus$yfoot around his stars...

Yes, he has a small window. I don't care tbh. The Country Club needs to be closed for remodeling. He's arguably the necessary evil right now.

Calgary was a top3 team in xG% this season. Top5 last season. Isn't this what we are all clamoring for? To be a top 5v5 unit? Calgary was done in my terrible goaltending and special teams. It seems like a perfect match.

I have no clue why they decided to play pond hockey with Edmonton last season. They failed on many levels. We also do not have Markstrom. We have the best goalie in the world.

It'd be last call for Panarin as well. I can see him going back to his relentless 2019 New York Rangers style....

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
-

Coaching issues? yes.

I agree with 95% of this.

Tarasenko was willing to go into the corners and do the work, the problem was he was often alone and the Rangers' system under Gallant is such that when the puck is contested in the offensive zone along the wall, one player has to win a puck battle by himself (often against two defenders) and the other two forwards position themselves on both sides of that player along the wall as a "chip" option which of course even if the player does win the battle results in immediately another contested puck. That's the reason offense off the cycle always seemed like it had to come with shots from the point - because those were the only guys open that didn't immediately find themselves under pressure when the puck was moved to them. The other thing about Tarasenko was that he was much more responsible with line changes than most of the people on this team, which often led to him being the only forward to change and the Rangers getting pinned in their own end after with mishmash lines because Tarasenko was the only forward who changed. Certainly didn't help.

We don't put someone in a scoring area on the forecheck like most teams do (teams that keep the third forward off the wall in a small triangle configuration on the strong side of the ice), nor do we put a forward behind the net on the cycle and opportunistically move him around to scoring areas based on where the puck is going. Instead, if the puck's in the corner, it's consistently one forward in the corner battling 1v2, 1 behind the net, one forward at the strong side half wall. It's hard to create off the forecheck like that unless you have a massive size advantage or are playing a demoralized team that stopped giving a crap.

Kane I 1000% agree with. He played like he was scared of board battles, and instead of sheltering him and letting him play on a line with Kreider and Trocheck where they did the bulk of the dirty work, they forced Zibanejad on that line instead of leaning into offense by putting 93 with 10 and 91.

I loved the aggressive, trolling side of Kakko we saw in the playoffs. If he can play like that, get a bit stronger, and add a little bit of speed, we really might see something from him someday.

I do, however, think that change has to start somewhere and that coaching is the way. We've never have a coach known for developing offense that I can remember in the last 30+ years of watching hockey. It's always been defensive coaches, coaches with no identity, or "offensive" coaches who just happened to luck into top flight talent earlier in their career (aka Vigneault) and got a favorable reputation but whose offensive system was basically, "I'm a players' coach"

My favorite part of your post, however, was the part about Panarin and Trocheck. They simply don't/won't work together, and a good coach would have realized this by the first week of November and never tried them together ever again. Instead, GG tried to force feed that anemic duo all the way through Game 7 of the playoffs, and whenever they were split up, that duo was one of the first ones he "reunited" as part of his "I didn't like what I saw" mid-game line changes.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

The thing is if you're firing Gallant during the season Knoblauch makes a lot more sense then as a replacement because you're not bringing in someone who's going to be changing all that much. If the Rangers do fire Gallant in the off season then everybody comes into training camp and the new staff works to get everyone on the same page there and then.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Ottawa is selling team anyway can we poach Brady while nobody's looking...like Mika? Wouldn't they love to have 1oa favorite son of Canada? Add as needed

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
not at all. this team is partially built to be a weapon on the pp and when it fails it nukes the team in multiple ways. i was agreeing with you.
lol, you can see i'm losing my mind... im turning on my brothers...

thats what following this franchise for 30 yrs does to you

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Okay I’m going to mention this again. What about Mike Babcock?
Babcock is retired now. Rangers could
try to lure him out of retirement, but they’d be hiring someone who is only willing to coach in the NHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I see Knoblauch being mentioned in here, too. I said it in the Hartford thread: he's done okay, but Hartford has generally been a disappointment since he's been coaching here. They caught fire after receiving a bunch of reinforcements towards the end of the year and have carried it over into the playoffs, and credit to Knoblauch for that, but this is the first time they've truly looked good. Normally they look slightly a mess, playing kind of aimlessly, not unlike the Rangers.

Knoblauch IMO is working towards an assistant job in the next couple of years, if things keep trending right for him. But he'd be a terrible choice for head coach at this point. It would be more of the same but probably worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad