News Article: Georgiev requests trade

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
at the very least in season you need to get a 2nd for AG, anything less is comical. After the season is where you may see a 3rd or something like that, but if someone is trading for him now it is because they NEED him, and he has been playing very well.

Trading him now has to be a net benefit, not just a move for the sake of a move...

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
at the very least in season you need to get a 2nd for AG, anything less is comical. After the season is where you may see a 3rd or something like that, but if someone is trading for him now it is because they NEED him, and he has been playing very well.

Trading him now has to be a net benefit, not just a move for the sake of a move...
Even after his supposed hot streak all his stats & analytics are horrible. Still has a .904SV% lmao.
If we got offered a 3rd they should take it and run

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Kinkaid stats are still better than Georgievs, by a landslide

He played 1 game v. the worst team in the league this season where he was really good. In 20-21, he played 9 NHL games where his save percentage was 898. In 19-20, he played 6 NHL games where his save percentage was 875. In 18-19, he played 41 NHL games where his save percentage was 891. I'm not trading Georgiev to give this guy potentially 10-15 starts the rest of the season. If they're trading him, they better find someone solid to replace him with for the remainder of the season.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Sorry but if edm wants Georgiev this year they need to pony up their first because we need him. . If it is the offseason, than a second.

i would be open to a second with a condition that it becomes a first if edm goes to conf finals. If Edm wins cup and Georgiev plays at least 1 game in finals, than 1 first and next years 2nd.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I just look at moving him relatively soon because if Igor goes down for an extended time, I don’t see them going anywhere anyways.

If Igor comes back from Covid say after the next 3 games, and remains relatively healthy for the rest of the season, how many games is the backup really starting 8-10?

You are asking say Koskinen (just using him as an example) or Kinkaid to go 500 in those games.

If your getting a second round pick that you can then use as a trade asset at the deadline for rentals, I think that’s good business.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I'm sure they'll try to. It remains to be seen whether other teams will bite, or if they'll prefer to wait until he becomes a UFA.
If he becomes a UFA, any team interested would be competing with other interested teams. If they actually want Georgiev, they will make a trade so they can then negotiate with him without competition.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
1 bite my new favorite.....1 month ago Georgie and removing his cap hit(no other asset) was the ask...now I want to sell high and a 3rd is not enough...
OOFAH!
Yes. But clearly the front office had a higher opinion of Georgiev’s upside. So I think a second round or higher valuation is reasonable, knowing what we know now.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He really cannot be moved this season--too much uncertainly as Igor--as much as I love him--just cannot stay on the ice. Every few weeks, there's something else...and Georgie seems to play well with the bigger workload that can be expected when Igor is out.

Wait til the offseason/draft, we'll still have his rights, and there may be more suitors as teams evaluate their situations in net (and may sign him longer term to starter money.)
This is a reasoned take and probably how the front office will handle it. Personally, though, I’d like to be done with the whole saga. Hajek too. But I don’t expect either. Maybe Hajek.

Reactions: McSauer

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've said it several times with Georgiev, going back a couple years now--you gotta move your backups when they're coming off a good season. When you're only getting 20 starts, a handful of bad games can make an otherwise decent season look terrible. And then you don't exactly have an abundance of time to turn it around.

With that said, I'm not super confident in Shesterkin's ability to stay in the lineup. This might be a situation where it's best to hold onto the asset and trade his rights in the off-season.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I've said it several times with Georgiev, going back a couple years now--you gotta move your backups when they're coming off a good season. When you're only getting 20 starts, a handful of bad games can make an otherwise decent season look terrible. And then you don't exactly have an abundance of time to turn it around.

With that said, I'm not super confident in Shesterkin's ability to stay in the lineup. This might be a situation where it's best to hold onto the asset and trade his rights in the off-season.

Backups aren't worth enough on the market to warrant us possibly not having a capable backup in a covid year.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Kinkaid has mediocre position on a good day, no lateral mobility and has really shitty rebound control too. I don’t care what his numbers are. He’s a good AHL goalie and would get exposed so bad if he has to string together a bunch of games like Geo has.
Remember when our backups had good numbers when Hank went down and ppl were saying Hank was a product of the team and not really that good? In a season like this one a solid backup is worth more than usual, plus our starter has had trouble staying healthy since he broke into the league.

Reactions: McSauer

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Move him whenever you get what you feel is your best offer, something like a second, 5th and Koskinen for cap purposes if it happens in season, or a 3 and 5th or 6th over the summer.
Koskinen is a net-negative player due to his contract. If we're helping EDM open up $2M in cap space, I'm going to need more than a 2nd and a 5th. I think EDM's prospect pool is thin on D talent, so maybe something like Koskinen and Holloway for Georgiev and Robertson? That, to me, addresses a need for us, and offsets the risk of trading away Geo. From EDM's perspective, it upgrades goalie, fills a prospect pool need with a D that's close to NHL-ready, and opens up $2M in cap space for another move. Only question would be is if they're willing to move Holloway to make that all happen.

Reactions: egelband

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Koskinen is a net-negative player due to his contract. If we're helping EDM open up $2M in cap space, I'm going to need more than a 2nd and a 5th. I think EDM's prospect pool is thin on D talent, so maybe something like Koskinen and Holloway for Georgiev and Robertson? That, to me, addresses a need for us, and offsets the risk of trading away Geo. From EDM's perspective, it upgrades goalie, fills a prospect pool need with a D that's close to NHL-ready, and opens up $2M in cap space for another move. Only question would be is if they're willing to move Holloway to make that all happen.

i would guess Edmonton eats 50 then the contracts lineup closely

get a 3rd and it’s fair but then NTR takes a greater risk W Koskinen and Kinkaid as backups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad