OT: General Video Game Discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
@tomgilbertfan

What's the next Switch game you're looking forward to playing? I've heard raving reviews of Zelda, but not much else...

I'm thinking about trading in my DS because it's likely in Nintendo's best interests to discontinue the console. I expect not many more games to be announced for the console as Nintendo will be pushing to have everything on the Switch. Guessing DS value will plummet...

I'm probably going to pick up the Shovel Knight collection. I know a lot of people really enjoy those games and i haven't had the chance to play them yet.
Binding of Isaac:Afterbirth comes out this week and I've never played that either.

Stardew Valley is coming out this year and I'd love to play that on the go. Mario Kart 8 is coming to the Switch at the end of April and I never got to play that as I don't have a Wii-U, would be nice to have a multiplayer game.

Splatoon 2 is coming out this summer and I know people loved the first one.
Puyo Puyo Tetris is coming out at the end of April and I'm super pumped about that.

There's some other various indie games that have been teased that looked interesting, and of course Super Mario Odyssey at the Holidays.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Stardew Valley is one game I'm looking forward to playing... I'll probably pick that up on Xbox One when it comes out since I already own the console. Though, I can see the appeal of playing on the Switch.

I've played very little of Splatoon, but Splatoon 2 should be great.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Horizon Zero Dawn is living up to the hype so far, for me.

Amazing world graphics, interesting plot and combat mechanics.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

I thought it looked pretty cool but I've admittedly seen very little of it. Don't have a PS4 unfortunately.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I thought it looked pretty cool but I've admittedly seen very little of it. Don't have a PS4 unfortunately.

It's what I thought FFXV should have been.

There's too much driving in FFXV for my liking, plus it takes forever.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

Is it a PS4 exclusive?

My roommate is thinking of buying a PS4 to get The Show. If he does, I might pick this up.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Yeah, I've tried twice now to get into FFXV and i just can't. HZD is on my list ... but the list is so long right now and will get longer with Mass Effect, which is going to be a day 1 purchase and then Dark Souls right afterwards.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota

100% with you. This might be the best open world game I've ever played, no hyperbole. It's taken some of the best parts of a lot of other open world games, brewed them together with an extremely interesting world, figured out some (mostly) very tight combat, and managed to make one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen.... On a console. It's mind-blowing.

I played for more than 20 hours before going to Meridian. The main story has been solid, but exploring this world has been one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in a very long time.

I just killed my first Thunderjaw tonight. That was a tense and super rewarding experience.

The progression of level, weapons, weapon types, and simply learning the tricks of the game has been a blast. I don't see a situation where I'm ever going to feel overpowered, and that's super refreshing to me. Every single enemy in the game can mess you up if you're not paying attention, which is compelling in sort of a Dark Souls kind of way, but the game is more forgiving than DS or Bloodborne.

I honestly can't speak highly enough of this game. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a game this much, and I play a LOT of games.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Hearing so many good things about Zelda... It's killing me that I'd need to drop nearly $400 just to play it.

They need to bring back console rentals. :laugh:

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Hearing so many good things about Zelda... It's killing me that I'd need to drop nearly $400 just to play it.

:laugh:

I was thinking the same thing. I already said I wasn't going to be purchasing the switch and now I'm eyeing mycredit card rewards points thinking "hmmmm ... that should take care of it"

But I still can't justify it for just one game. Now, if Nintendo were to change their philosophy a bit and break out of their niche party games / casual gamers market they have been in since N64 and create more games I'd be interested in playing ... that might be a different story.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
100% with you. This might be the best open world game I've ever played, no hyperbole. It's taken some of the best parts of a lot of other open world games, brewed them together with an extremely interesting world, figured out some (mostly) very tight combat, and managed to make one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen.... On a console. It's mind-blowing.

I played for more than 20 hours before going to Meridian. The main story has been solid, but exploring this world has been one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in a very long time.

I just killed my first Thunderjaw tonight. That was a tense and super rewarding experience.

The progression of level, weapons, weapon types, and simply learning the tricks of the game has been a blast. I don't see a situation where I'm ever going to feel overpowered, and that's super refreshing to me. Every single enemy in the game can mess you up if you're not paying attention, which is compelling in sort of a Dark Souls kind of way, but the game is more forgiving than DS or Bloodborne.

I honestly can't speak highly enough of this game. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a game this much, and I play a LOT of games.

This game sounds TOTALLY in my wheelhouse. I love open world games that have a lot to see and explore. One of the reasons Skyrim is one of my favorite games ever (been playing that a lot lately)

The graphics being great are a major plus, as well!

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Anyone here play League? Looking for some people to play with as playing solo can get boring. I mainly play adc. IGN: malkin2471

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This game sounds TOTALLY in my wheelhouse. I love open world games that have a lot to see and explore. One of the reasons Skyrim is one of my favorite games ever (been playing that a lot lately)

The graphics being great are a major plus, as well!

HZD is awesome. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, wait until you kill your first Thunderjaw. One of the funnest fights in video game history.

The game is tremendous, with stunning graphics, a great main story, and I would say about 50% of the side quests are great in their own right (though there are quite a few duds in there as well). The gameplay is so fun because of the variety of enemies -- the different dinobots, and the different human enemies (cultists and bandits), all of whom require a different strategy to defeat.

There are only two things that are holding it back from being a masterpiece: 1) the skill tree: its like the Far Cry skill tree, which is to say, flimsy and shallow. If they had given you a really developed skill tree, say like Witcher 3 or Fallout 4, you could have developed your main character Alloy into something really special 2) the gear: just not enough of it, particularly the elite kind. Again they should have followed the Witcher 3 model, with a much larger assortment of gear available.

Other than that though, fantastic game. Highly recommended.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

If you play games on your PC the Switch right now is almost surely not worth it. I don't really play PC games (save Stardew Valley), so I'll be playing some of the indie games that will/are also on PC on my switch. First year of a console these days is usually pretty bare with games. I really hope Nintendo can get 3rd parties to develop games for the switch because I really like what they have there, but it needs original, non-nintendo, games to survive.

Also if they can make Virtual Console good that'd help.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

This is how I feel about Nier, tbh. If Square would've given it the FFXV graphical budget there would be almost be nothing wrong with the game.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
This is how I feel about Nier, tbh. If Square would've given it the FFXV graphical budget there would be almost be nothing wrong with the game.

So Nier's no good? Or you just don't like the visual? Only ask as it's on my list.

Broke down and downloaded HZD last night. Wonder how much I can get done before Mass Effect.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So Nier's no good? Or you just don't like the visual? Only ask as it's on my list.

Broke down and downloaded HZD last night. Wonder how much I can get done before Mass Effect.

I think Nier is what FFXV should have been, particularly since it's coming out of the same building (albeit outsourced to Platinum). Visually it's certainly not the level of FFXV, but everything else is better.

FWIW I got the platinum trophy in Nier and then deleted my saves so I could play it again. I was also ~5 hours into Horizon prior to starting Nier and I'm still not really interested in going back to that yet. I may be a bit of an edge case as someone who also played the original Nier and Drakengard, but I think the game is objectively pretty amazing regardless.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Hearing some mixed reviews on Mass Effect Andromeda. Was planning on getting the game right away, but I might hold off a week or two.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Hearing some mixed reviews on Mass Effect Andromeda. Was planning on getting the game right away, but I might hold off a week or two.

Was hearing the same thing. Will still probably pick it up day 1, but it might give me some time to finish H:ZD. Started playing that after the Wild **** the bed last night.... wow, you guys were right. Beautiful game with an interesting story, really excited to play more tonight.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
The only thing I've really seen about the new Mass Effect is that the facial animations are a colossal step downwards from the previous games, and I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad