OT: General Video Game Discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Glad to hear the game is better. I held off for one day, undecided still on when I buy it.

And I was also going to mention that FIFA trade in deal. Definitely a great deal to get $30 off since they are worthless after a year otherwise. So that's one incentive to get the disk.

If you're just going digital.. you could also consider EA Access. You don't own it, but it's only $30 per year for access to a bunch of games. So you could basically upgrade to the new NHL for $30/yr along with being able to play other games.

And note that I'm not 100% sure on all the details of it, but I'm fairly positive I didn't misinterpret anything about EA Access.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
For EA Access, do you get the game itself? I know that you get to play it for 10 hours the week before it's released. Like, for FIFA, people with EA Access will be able to play the full retail game for 10 hours starting this Thursday (before the release date on Tuesday next week). So then after that 10 hours, do you get to play it more?

Or is it just that 10 hours, essentially a "try before you buy" program for any EA game?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Scripting stuff for your joysticks is fun and educational. Re-learning a lot about basic programming just by making that hat switch stuff I talked about in the last thread work in various scripting doodads.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
For EA Access, do you get the game itself? I know that you get to play it for 10 hours the week before it's released. Like, for FIFA, people with EA Access will be able to play the full retail game for 10 hours starting this Thursday (before the release date on Tuesday next week). So then after that 10 hours, do you get to play it more?

Or is it just that 10 hours, essentially a "try before you buy" program for any EA game?

EA Access adds games to it's lineup that you can play for free (with your subscription) well after its release date. IIRC, Madden 15 wasn't added until a little after the Super Bowl and NHL 15 wasn't added until around when the playoffs started. Members get a 10% discount if they buy/download direct to console, but chances are you can find the disc cheaper elsewhere.

So if you want to play the latest and greatest you still have to buy the game. When I first bought my Xbox One a couple months ago EA Access was perfect because I could pay $30/year for a year and play NHL 15, Madden 15, Titanfall, Battlefield 4, FIFA 15, UFC/MMA 15 and a couple others on the cheap.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
EA Access adds games to it's lineup that you can play for free (with your subscription) well after its release date. IIRC, Madden 15 wasn't added until a little after the Super Bowl and NHL 15 wasn't added until around when the playoffs started. Members get a 10% discount if they buy/download direct to console, but chances are you can find the disc cheaper elsewhere.

So if you want to play the latest and greatest you still have to buy the game. When I first bought my Xbox One a couple months ago EA Access was perfect because I could pay $30/year for a year and play NHL 15, Madden 15, Titanfall, Battlefield 4, FIFA 15, UFC/MMA 15 and a couple others on the cheap.

Ahh, okay. I thought it might be on a delay, but wasn't sure. I had the one week free trial a couple months ago and played half of Battlefield 4 and some NHL 15. It's definitely a good deal if you don't mind waiting then.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
That's cool that they release games on there to play.

I know a couple people who happily pay $30 a year just to be able to try the games before buying them.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
You know that used to be called renting a video game from the video store.

Man I feel old.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
When I was a kid, I rented Castlevania III from a store. Kept it a week longer than I should have, and when we went to return it and pay the late fees, the store had closed down.

I'd still have it if I hadn't made the mistake of selling my video games.

Biggest regret as an adult is selling those video games.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Isn't digital renting easier? And cheaper?

And isn't Gamefly a decent deal? Don't know a ton about it. Suppose it depends on how many games you play in the average month.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I bought NHL16 last night, downloaded direct to my xbox and played it today. Not a huge fan but its ok. I love sports games and played 15' to the death. I am a fan of the HUT gameplay and that is what I have been doing. I get super biased with players though, on my team now I have 7 Wild players...

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota

And isn't Gamefly a decent deal? Don't know a ton about it. Suppose it depends on how many games you play in the average month.

I'm still a huge fan of Gamefly. I don't get as much use out of it as I used to, having moved more towards PC gaming, but it's still a great way to get console exclusives and Vita/3ds games.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN

Depends on what your definition of "easier" is in this case. Easier to me is taking 15 minutes out of my day to drive to my local Blockbuster (RIP in pepperonis) and rent a game, instead of renting a game off Gamefly and having it shipped to me so I can play it in a few days. And that's on top of the fact that it's a subscription service so you have to pay to keep using it. All you had to pay to go to Blockbuster was gas money, which when Blockbusters were around was a lot cheaper than it is now.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I bought NHL16 last night, downloaded direct to my xbox and played it today. Not a huge fan but its ok. I love sports games and played 15' to the death. I am a fan of the HUT gameplay and that is what I have been doing. I get super biased with players though, on my team now I have 7 Wild players...

Do you think the gameplay itself is much improved? I played about 10 hours of '15 on X1, so enough to at least have a feel of the last one.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Depends on what your definition of "easier" is in this case. Easier to me is taking 15 minutes out of my day to drive to my local Blockbuster (RIP in pepperonis) and rent a game, instead of renting a game off Gamefly and having it shipped to me so I can play it in a few days. And that's on top of the fact that it's a subscription service so you have to pay to keep using it. All you had to pay to go to Blockbuster was gas money, which when Blockbusters were around was a lot cheaper than it is now.

Yeah, I was partially referring to movies as well there. Gamefly wouldn't be a digital rental, though, so that's not really what I was getting at. Definitely understand your point.

Also, what about Redbox? You can rent games cheap through that, right?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Do you think the gameplay itself is much improved? I played about 10 hours of '15 on X1, so enough to at least have a feel of the last one.

I am on the X1 as well. The gameplay feels different to me right away. Their new seamless puck pick-up seems to be noticed as it doesn't bounce over sticks all the time but the precision skating is a bit off it feels. No fluency but they do turn quicker. I haven't played enough yet to know a lot but I will tomorrow

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
there was nothing better than going to Blockbuster on a Friday night and picking out a game to try and conquer over the weekend if you knew you had no plans for Saturday night.

There was also nothing more heartbreaking than walking into Blockbuster and wanting a certain game only to see that is was already rented out

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I got my mom to rent an N64 system that came with two games from Blockbuster twice before I convinced her to buy me the system. Once I was smart enough to figure out that 4 system rentals could buy an actual system, game over.

On an unrelated note, you know how there's always that one random depth player on a given team that is so much better in the video game than in real life? Well the last two years it seems to be Haula for the Wild. Just dominates.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yep Haula is reallllly good in the game. For some crazy reason they had his speed higher than Zucker's though...I had to make a few adjustments to the player ratings (did quite a bit of adjusting on Zucker to make him better. Also created Mike Reilly since I didn't want to wait on an update).

Good game so far, although there's some minor things that bother me...like for some reason after a score it doesn't show who scored+assits underneathing the score bug.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yep Haula is reallllly good in the game. For some crazy reason they had his speed higher than Zucker's though...I had to make a few adjustments to the player ratings (did quite a bit of adjusting on Zucker to make him better. Also created Mike Reilly since I didn't want to wait on an update).

Good game so far, although there's some minor things that bother me...like for some reason after a score it doesn't show who scored+assits underneathing the score bug.

Really? It does for me.

I've been playing BAP but I can't imagine it would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad