OT: General Video Game Discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Grohnlund should be an HFWild trademark. I swear our discussions helped lead Russo to address it which led to NBCSN addressing it.

I adjusted a couple stats too with Zucker. Made him have better speed, acceleration, wrist shot speed and stick checking, IIRC

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I started a BAP as an offensive defenseman. Really liking the on-ice trainer for defensive positioning. I turned everything else off, but left that one on. Sometimes I get caught puck watching, but it's great having that on, reminding you to cover the back door guy.

I chose to play in the CHL before going into the draft. Taking advantage of the fact that McDavid is not on the Oilers roster yet, I chose to play with Erie Otters :laugh:

I am playing right now and what possessed the EA squad to make Dalpe our generic 4th line LW?

Haha, I've been thinking the same thing.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I started a BAP as an offensive defenseman. Really liking the on-ice trainer for defensive positioning. I turned everything else off, but left that one on. Sometimes I get caught puck watching, but it's great having that on, reminding you to cover the back door guy.

I chose to play in the CHL before going into the draft. Taking advantage of the fact that McDavid is not on the Oilers roster yet, I chose to play with Erie Otters :laugh:

Haha, I've been thinking the same thing.

He did snag a GW for me against the Rangers online this afternoon. :nod:

Also, the 3-3 OT in the game is solid ha, I had a few games in my GM Mode and none of them ended in shootouts!

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
HUT team all set to go, basically everything is self-opened.

Elias-Coyle-Vrbata
Hoffman-Brassard-Callahan
Abdelkader-Killorn-Sekac
Raffl-Soderberg-Terry

Quincey-Lovejoy
Beauchemin-Prout
Emelin-Gudas

Hammond
Kuemper

......yeah I'm gonna need a defense. A whole goddamn defense.

Wildlife

Sep 16, 2009
Minnesota
Glad to hear the game is better. I held off for one day, undecided still on when I buy it.

And I was also going to mention that FIFA trade in deal. Definitely a great deal to get $30 off since they are worthless after a year otherwise. So that's one incentive to get the disk.

If you're just going digital.. you could also consider EA Access. You don't own it, but it's only $30 per year for access to a bunch of games. So you could basically upgrade to the new NHL for $30/yr along with being able to play other games.

And note that I'm not 100% sure on all the details of it, but I'm fairly positive I didn't misinterpret anything about EA Access.

Can someone provide a link to something talking about this FIFA deal? I feel like an idiot because I can't find anything talking about it. I'd rather have something more official to quote when I go to trade it in instead of saying I read it on a message board. Haha

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Can someone provide a link to something talking about this FIFA deal? I feel like an idiot because I can't find anything talking about it. I'd rather have something more official to quote when I go to trade it in instead of saying I read it on a message board. Haha

To be honest I can't find anything on it anymore. Found one source that said the deal expires today, but don't see it online today.

The deal was that you get $20 for trading in the current gen game ($15 last gen), along with a $10 coupon off of Fifa 16. You could call and ask if it's still live I suppose?

Edit: If you have Gamers Club Unlocked, it's $10 cheaper, and you may or may not get an extra $2 on the trade in. Also if you pre-order, you get a $10 gift certificate. So you could get it for $18 + $10 gift certificate I think. Wish they did that for NHL. :amazed:

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Well, got bored and just bought NHL 16. First time I've had an NHL game that isn't at least a year behind. :naughty:

Alright, played two games. For reference, I'm pretty good at the previous games. Usually win on all-star.
Game 1 I won 7-1 and dominated on Pro. Then I flipped it up to all-star and got an ***-whooping to remember. Lost 7-0 and was thoroughly dominated the whole game. Quite the difficulty jump, partially combined with me just not used to the game yet.

But initial impressions are positive. Seems way better than the little I played of '15 on X1.

Oh, and I often find myself seeing number #24 on D and wondering who that is. Not used to that yet.

What happened to the music?

Last edited:

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Well, got bored and just bought NHL 16. First time I've had an NHL game that isn't at least a year behind. :naughty:

Alright, played two games. For reference, I'm pretty good at the previous games. Usually win on all-star.
Game 1 I won 7-1 and dominated on Pro. Then I flipped it up to all-star and got an ***-whooping to remember. Lost 7-0 and was thoroughly dominated the whole game. Quite the difficulty jump, partially combined with me just not used to the game yet.

But initial impressions are positive. Seems way better than the little I played of '15 on X1.

Oh, and I often find myself seeing number #24 on D and wondering who that is. Not used to that yet.

What happened to the music?

They removed the soundtrack in 15 and just added a generic looping music. I prefer that instead of hearing the same goddamn 6 tracks.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I miss the soundtrack...would at least like to be able to add your own songs in there.

Hmm, I kind of miss it as well. Weren't we able to add our own songs way back in NHL '09? I'm pretty sure I did in that game.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
The PS4 and Xbone don't really support custom soundtracks in the same sense that enabled that feature on PS3 and Xbox 360, so I wouldn't expect that anytime soon.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I always uploaded my soundtracks into the game too. Was a neat feature. Disappointed that kind of customization isn't in the game. Now I just settle for listening to music elsewhere while I play NHL.

Speaking of customization, it's amazing to me that the NHL series doesn't have face scanning technology, either through a Kinect or off of a picture. Other series have been using that for years and it adds a nice touch.

I guess that would hard to justify when only a few players from each NHL team has their real face loaded in. Then you have the Madden series that released an update that included true-to-life body and face scans of every player in the league last year. With how HD graphics are and how there's such attention paid to little details nowadays, you'd think having players actually look like themselves would be a high priority.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I'm really enjoying this year's NHL. Granted, I mostly only play Be a GM. I've never actually played any online game of the series. Not sure I'd really like it anyway as I always tinker with sliders and enjoy a faster paced game.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I'm really enjoying this year's NHL. Granted, I mostly only play Be a GM. I've never actually played any online game of the series. Not sure I'd really like it anyway as I always tinker with sliders and enjoy a faster paced game.

Too many quitters for me to enjoy it anymore. It's almost instinct where I expect a Pause-->"Lost connection to your opponent" message right after scoring a goal in the 3rd to put the game out of reach.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Quitters have been a problem in online games for years.

Winning in Mario Kart DS? Opponent quits.

Narrowly defeating your Starcraft 2 Opponent? He quits.

Etc, etc. Quitters make the online experience worse for everyone.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I actually get a kick out of the ragers, lol. It's so gratifying. I hate quitters because I often shutout opponents (#humblebrag) so when they quit the shutout doesn't register. Just counts as a win. I want an accurate reflection of my dominance, damnit.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
What someone ought to do is organize an old fashioned ladder that you have to sign up for and then you know you'll at least get an opponent who stays for the whole game or risks getting booted off the ladder.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I forgot who it is but some company is making an entirely different "online world" for those who get caught hacking, cheating and quitting once the game launches. And they can't ever go back to the normal area. Basically an online wasteland for all the insufferables. Pretty cool actually.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I actually get a kick out of the ragers, lol. It's so gratifying. I hate quitters because I often shutout opponents (#humblebrag) so when they quit the shutout doesn't register. Just counts as a win. I want an accurate reflection of my dominance, damnit.

Ragers. But I meant the raggers. The ones that just try to hold onto the puck and not even play hockey.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I got a message from a dude I was playing against who cussed me out for poke checking too much. I don't even think about it when I play, but I do poke check a lot.

Maybe I am the kind of guy that everyone *****es about, and I don't even know it. :amazed::laugh:

It's just a habit from playing BAP, where I'm constantly trying to hold the poke check button while cutting off passing lanes, to knock pucks away (I play as a defenseman).

Speaking of BAP, I'm having a ton of fun playing it. Currently playing in the OHL as an offensive defensemen. I'm leading my team (even have McDavid beat by 1!) in points through about 11 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad