OT: General Video Game Discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Really debating whether or not I'm going to buy NHL 16 tomorrow.

Didn't play 15. I don't know if I can go another year without a hockey game.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Is this one supposed to be any good?

Was utterly disappointed with the last.

I have been playing the Mad Max game and have enjoyed it despite the poor reviews...

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
NHL 16 largely returned the franchise to what it was before moving to next gen.

360/PS3 version is still NHL 14 with new rosters.

X1/PS4 version has most of the features that were cut before aside from GM connected mode. Apparently the skating/player control is better than ever.

All of that said, I've spoken to a few who have played it in EA Access and for the most part they aren't really fans of this. Not much of an improvement. I know I'm not getting it.

I'm still more than happy with Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. Between that and a few others I'll probably return to (Halo: MCC, Arkham Knight, Shadow of Mordor) I'm more than set until October/November when Halo 5 and Star Wars: Battlefront come out.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hmm, also very much debating getting NHL 16 tomorrow. I'm buying it for sure eventually. Could probably get it $25 cheaper by Black Friday. Sounds like initial impressions have been positive, but I haven't seen full reviews yet.

Also going to buy the Destiny full collection soon I think. Never owned it but played the beta. Of course Halo is the big one soon.

Finished the first Metro game last night. Solid game. Loved the atmosphere/location.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
FIFA coming out next week would be the reason for me to not buy NHL 16.

If NHL 16 was 30 bucks, I'd buy it for sure. But I think FIFA is going to be fantastic this year. So I'm wary of paying 60 bucks for NHL and then have FIFA come out, and that's all I end up playing.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Buying NHL tomorrow for sure. Didn't buy last years and I can't take playing 14 anymore. I NEED a new hockey game.

I just hope the changes to GM mode are good. Usually that is the only thing I do with NHL games. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Buying it as well. Bought every NHL game from 2003-2011. Downloaded the most recent one because of the EA Access pass. Buying this one with blind faith that it doesn't crush my soul.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I drive directly past a Game Stop on my way home from work. I'm guessing that I will cave, and stop in there to buy it tomorrow. :laugh:

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I find that being able to purchase/download a game right on the console is my biggest issue. If I were to try to buy a game while at Target with the gal or something, I'd certainly catch hell...

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well, I caved in the last Steam sale and bought Rocket League. Enjoying the heck out of it. Anyone else playing still? If anyone does want to play, private message me, and I'm sure I'll be down for a game or two.

FIFA coming out next week would be the reason for me to not buy NHL 16.

If NHL 16 was 30 bucks, I'd buy it for sure. But I think FIFA is going to be fantastic this year. So I'm wary of paying 60 bucks for NHL and then have FIFA come out, and that's all I end up playing.

Aside from awful reviews for the last several games, the only other reason I don't purchase NHL games is because of the cost. $60 is a lot of money, especially for a guy in college. Personally, I've always loved the FIFA games, sometimes more than the NHL games, but if they're the same price and similar quality, I'd go with NHL. I think it all comes down to personal preference... unless you can afford both. Don't tell the missus. :naughty:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Well, I caved in the last Steam sale and bought Rocket League. Enjoying the heck out of it. Anyone else playing still? If anyone does want to play, private message me, and I'm sure I'll be down for a game or two.

Aside from awful reviews for the last several games, the only other reason I don't purchase NHL games is because of the cost. $60 is a lot of money, especially for a guy in college. Personally, I've always loved the FIFA games, sometimes more than the NHL games, but if they're the same price and similar quality, I'd go with NHL. I think it all comes down to personal preference... unless you can afford both. Don't tell the missus. :naughty:

Oh yeah, FIFA is the best sports game out there, IMO.

FIFA is an auto-buy every year. NHL has (unfortunately) now become a year-to-year, if I'm feeling it, type purchase.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I feel like with sports games, I always get hyped then just pass. I used to buy the snot out of NCAA Football and Madden in the day, then it just to the point of only small changes were made..........so...........whats the point of buying a new game?

I seriously still play NHL 12.....or 11.........can't remember on my PS3. Hockey is still hockey, lol.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yep, I bought it. Couldn't go 2 years without a hockey game. :laugh:

It's pretty good. Played 3 games so far. TB vs. Chicago, Minnesota vs. Edmonton, and Minnesota vs. Toronto (online). I'm glad I bought it, I think it's a big step up from NHL 14 on 360 (the last hockey game I had). Presentation is great with the NBC integration.

It's got a lot of the same AI issues that have plagued the series for years, but I knew that going in, so I'm not disappointed by it.

Don't buy it if you're looking for a hardcore, true to life hockey simulation. That's just not what it is.

However, I think it's a pretty damn fun game. Really interested to see what GM mode looks like when I'm done tweaking the sliders.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Played one game with EA Access. Feels much better than the Xbone version from last year. I scored one goal (Pominville at home) and when the horn sounded up and the Wild goal song started playing, it felt so right. Never felt that before in a hockey game. Kinda cool.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Just played the intro Chicago/Tampa game. Spanked them fools with Stamkos and co.

Some collision detection issues with the puck but that'll get patched in no time. Like the pace of play and hitting ease/power with the default settings.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Ran into my first gripe. Started Be a GM Mode and right off the bat I noticed I have to be concerned with player morale. Luckily they give me a handy indicator graphic of a smiley face for happy (and presumably a neutral and sad face later on). And Locker room chemistry to worry about? On a video game? This is dumb.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ran into my first gripe. Started Be a GM Mode and right off the bat I noticed I have to be concerned with player morale. Luckily they give me a handy indicator graphic of a smiley face for happy (and presumably a neutral and sad face later on). And Locker room chemistry to worry about? On a video game? This is dumb.

Without knowing any of the details other than what you've just explained, I like that they're adding new features like that to game modes, especially Be A GM. It makes it more interesting than just "sim, draft, sign, repeat"

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Without knowing any of the details other than what you've just explained, I like that they're adding new features like that to game modes, especially Be A GM. It makes it more interesting than just "sim, draft, sign, repeat"

Different strokes I guess. I don't sim on Be a GM unless I'm in a time crunch. I like the draft-sign-trade-play method. I'll play an RPG if I want to be concerned with personality conflicts and the like. Balancing a team with playing styles, overall ratings, contract lengths & terms and age is enough for me.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Hmm...any reason why I should/would pick up the actual game copy at a store/amazon rather than download from the store on Live?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

I like it. Adds a little more depth to the GM mode. After playing Football Manager, any GM mode in any other game feels so shallow.

From what I've read, it gets a little repetitive, but I think it's a good thing. I read someone who said that you can't just blow up a team without some negative effects. His particular scenario, he did a GM mode with the Leafs, and just tried to bottom out, trading away a bunch of people (Kadri, JVR, Phaneuf, etc). And apparently after a couple of those trades, his team morale took a nosedive. That's cool.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Hmm...any reason why I should/would pick up the actual game copy at a store/amazon rather than download from the store on Live?

IMO, the only reason to get physical copies of games is if you plan to trade them in, later.

And keep in mind, sports games trade in for absolute squat. No one wants to pay a decent price for a game that will be replaced so quickly.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
IMO, the only reason to get physical copies of games is if you plan to trade them in, later.

And keep in mind, sports games trade in for absolute squat. No one wants to pay a decent price for a game that will be replaced so quickly.

But sometimes, especially lately, there are trade in deals. Like for FIFA next week at Best Buy, you bring them FIFA 15, and you leave with FIFA 16 for only $30. That's a crazy deal. I know some people with only the digital version of FIFA 15 pulling their hair out because of that.

I would assume EA goes to Best Buy and tells them to do this so there are a ton fewer copies of FIFA 15 out there for the Game Stops of the world to sell, in the secondary market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad