OT: General Video Game Discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've actually played X/Y. Pretty cool to see it in 3D and everything for sure. Still fun, but doesn't have the same magic as the older games. There's just way too many Pokemon now.

My favorites by far and away were Gen 3, Ruby/Sapphire. Also bought the remake of those of course.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I just had probably my best night of Gears since this remake came out. I did really well getting kills, even though I died quite a bit.

And I got easily my favorite moment of this game thus far. Probably #2 all-time in Gears moments for me.

Patience is a Virtue

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I just had probably my best night of Gears since this remake came out. I did really well getting kills, even though I died quite a bit.

And I got easily my favorite moment of this game thus far. Probably #2 all-time in Gears moments for me.

Patience is a Virtue

Nice kill :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're making me want to play Gears again. I think I've got you on XBL, if I get it we should play :nod:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Got my Throttle today.

Ghetto Stick evolves into Ghetto HOTAS:
67m1p1T.jpg

Replaced the twisties at the bottom with zip ties. Wanted to replace the top one, but I could not get the zip ties to stop interfering with the thumb button on the main stick. With twisty ties I can. That Gamepad isn't going anywhere man. And for good measure I put the cords of both through some conduit.

This throttle feels nice. It's big. Gonna have fun learning to program it, hehe.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
That's just all kinds of awesome. It's just missing a bunch of duct tape and some chewing gum and we're at McGyver territory.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So I got really into Far Cry 4 over the past weekend, had a blast with the game. Gotta love riding an elephant and flipping over cars while throwing some bait down so a tiger charges in to attack the enemy. :laugh:

About to start playing the Metro games now that were free from GWG. Looking forward to these, as it looks like the kind of game I would like.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
That's just all kinds of awesome. It's just missing a bunch of duct tape and some chewing gum and we're at McGyver territory.

Hey the zip ties are a step up from the mangled mishmash of twisties that was at the bottom!

And it works great. Therefore it ain't stupid.

So I got really into Far Cry 4 over the past weekend, had a blast with the game. Gotta love riding an elephant and flipping over cars while throwing some bait down so a tiger charges in to attack the enemy. :laugh:

About to start playing the Metro games now that were free from GWG. Looking forward to these, as it looks like the kind of game I would like.

How long were they free for? I've got 2033 on my to-play list and I'd love to add the other one.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Man with this throttle its like learning to pilot all over again in every game I've got.

And it's awesome.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Man with this throttle its like learning to pilot all over again in every game I've got.

And it's awesome.

Man, that setup looks brilliant. Also, that is what I'm afraid of when getting new pedals - having to learn them all over again. Good thing with DFGT flappyplastics is that I'm used to them. Plus I can't drive with socks or shoes on to save my life, and they are comfy barefoot.

On another thing, I avoided a wreck:

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
You should really check out the HD collection on PS3/360. MGS3 is the best game ever made

Definately one of the best made. I remember playing MGS2 when it first came outback in the day. It was my first Metal Gear experience, I had no idea what the hell was going on, but I don't ever recall being enthralled with a game like that one.

Phantom Pain is fantastic as well. But each time I play any MG I'm quickly reminded of how terrible I am with stealth games.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Has anyone played State of Decay?

It's a zombie game, Bought it on XBL last night. It's an arcade (or whatever XB calls them now) game, so it's only 30 bucks.

The graphics and controls aren't as good as a full $60 game, obviously, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's a completely open world game, you start off the game playing as one guy, but you join a camp, and you can control several characters. The caveat is, when someone dies, they die. No respawning at a checkpoint or anything like that.

I have already gotten two of the "main" characters killed. Which sucked because I had been leveling them up pretty well in a variety of skills :laugh:

It seems really cool so far. I've only been playing it for 2 or 3 hours so far, but there seems to be a ton of stuff to do. You can go out scavenging for supplies (it's actually a necessity. Food, medicine, building, etc, supplies run out and need to be replenished), clear out infestations, find more survivors to join your camp, fortify and improve your camp, create outposts, and more.

If you're into zombie stuff, and open world games, check it out.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hell yeah, great game. Never played the expansions, but loved it. One of the few games I've gotten into big time in the past couple of years.

The fact that you can lose a character forever makes everything MUCH more intense. You're just waltzing around, no problem, then a zombie sees you - whatever. Then all of a sudden a horde finds you, and you're running for your life to save your best character.

Awesome game.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hell yeah, great game. Never played the expansions, but loved it. One of the few games I've gotten into big time in the past couple of years.

The fact that you can lose a character forever makes everything MUCH more intense. You're just waltzing around, no problem, then a zombie sees you - whatever. Then all of a sudden a horde finds you, and you're running for your life to save your best character.

Awesome game.

No kidding! I learned the hard way that hordes and infestations are not something to take lightly. Took my two best people in and just tried to bash my way through an infestation, and they both died. :cry:

So now half my camp is sick/wounded, and the other half that I can control are not very experienced.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
No kidding! I learned the hard way that hordes and infestations are not something to take lightly. Took my two best people in and just tried to bash my way through an infestation, and they both died. :cry:

So now half my camp is sick/wounded, and the other half that I can control are not very experienced.

Yeah, I'd say I probably lost about four characters along the way. Two I cared about, two I didn't. The infestations are definitely tough if you don't take someone else with. I ended up using Maya through most of the game, and somehow never died with her.

Actually, with one of my characters, can't remember who, I'm pretty sure I was about to die, so I paused and quit the game so I didn't lose them since it saves right away. :laugh:

Against the spirit of the game, but I did let them die every other time.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Man, that setup looks brilliant. Also, that is what I'm afraid of when getting new pedals - having to learn them all over again. Good thing with DFGT flappyplastics is that I'm used to them. Plus I can't drive with socks or shoes on to save my life, and they are comfy barefoot.

I need to find out if the CH Pro Rudder Pedals are comfy with socks on.

So after a week or so of using this setup, I have a few observations:

The throttle friggin rocks. I can more or less program it to do everything except calculus at the push of a button. It's made for giant gorilla hands, but I've gotten used to it. The minstick is great, but it needs a small deadzone since it doesn't center absolutely perfect all the time.

The Thrustmaster is very accurate but it has a few quirks. It, too, is made for gorilla hands and I have to hold my index finger well forward of my other fingers when gripping the stick. Not the most comfortable. The gamepad is not really in the way, and in fact I can remove it if I like if I'm playing, say, Descent, which doesn't have enough functions to fully load both the throttle and the stick, let alone need the extra buttons on the gamepad. The bottom zip tie can be dislodged from the stick with a little pressure, and then after that I can just tilt it forward and slide it out of the one across its center.

The sensor also has an odd quirk. If I push the stick down directly into the base with more than just idle hand resting pressure it goes way off center. Like way off. This has somewhat been a minor nuisance. I'll just have to learn to not put pressure on it.

And the LED lit base is kind of annoying, but I dont notice it anymore unless I look for it. I'd probably notice it more if my monitor screen wasn't matte.

Also I need to stop deathgripping the thing. I'm giving myself hand cramps. That was what was nice about the Saitek Evo I was using before this stick arrived...grip it as hard as I want and it didn't cramp my hand. This stick is so damn big though that it's hard not to. I actually improved it a little by swapping out the right handed thumb rest for the left handed palm rest on the left side of the stick..my fingers were pressing too hard against it when wrapped around it.

Said Evo btw is still useful btw...as a lefthanded stick. I'm going to rampage through the mechwarrior series with that stick in my left hand and my mouse in my right. I've got it set up so that the stick does stuff that does not at all require precision: The forward half of the Y axis is a throttle, the twist controls the mechs heading, and the X axis has some digital commands bound it it. Cold I make a better setup with the throttle? Probably. But this setup just feels really fun!

I have got so much controller programming software on my computer right now it's silly. I've got tons of sim games to rampage through. Gonna be fun as hell!

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
This damn throttle might just be what finally gets me to learn how to code.

I just spent about 6 hours writing 500 lines of script in the CH Control Manager to make all 8 directions of the throttle's 8 way hat useable as buttons by making the throttle ignore cardinal direction input if a diagonal is pressed before a cardinal direction is released back to center. and I can also sit on a cardinal direction and press the two neighboring diagonals with reckless abandon.

I could use this thing as a 6 position shifter switch for a driving game if I wanted, bwahaha.

Plus I've already got ideas for how to improve it further when I get home tomorrow.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So last night and today I took that hat switch code I wrote in CH Control Manager and implemented the same thing in autohotkey, so now I can use any hat switch as 8 independent buttons.

And of course if anyone wants the script, just let me know.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Finally, the Donington AOR race is up. It was interesting, and fun, even though I kinda screwed up in T1.

Starting grid will come up at 3:06, start is at 5:22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad