OT: General Video Game Discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
^Nailed it. I thought about that game after it was over for such a long time...certainly doesn't give you a great feeling that's for sure. It's extremely well done...

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So my complaining about input lag on the Freespace Open forums has resulted in meaningful code changes resulting in smoother and more responsive joystick input in games that use that engine.

Yay complaining!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I love card games, but Freespace never grabbed me.

Freecell.gif

thatsthejoke.jpg

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I love card games, but Freespace never grabbed me.

Freecell.gif

thatsthejoke.jpg

Groan.

So, I bought a Thrustmaster T16000M. The one downside to this stick is it lacks buttons on the stick.

Using an old Gravis Gamepad Pro, some twisty ties, and VJoy, I have rectified that situation:
dCTVCEB.jpg

Yep, the gamepad is held solidly in place. The red button is a little hard to reach, so that will be assigned some obscure function. The start and select buttons are also useable, as are the R1 and 2 buttons with a little effort. Hell, the L1 and L2 buttons are reachable too if I really want to.

The only way this could get more jury rigged is if I had used chewing gum and duct tape.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Groan.

So, I bought a Thrustmaster T16000M. The one downside to this stick is it lacks buttons on the stick.

Using an old Gravis Gamepad Pro, some twisty ties, and VJoy, I have rectified that situation:
dCTVCEB.jpg

Yep, the gamepad is held solidly in place. The red button is a little hard to reach, so that will be assigned some obscure function. The start and select buttons are also useable, as are the R1 and 2 buttons with a little effort. Hell, the L1 and L2 buttons are reachable too if I really want to.

The only way this could get more jury rigged is if I had used chewing gum and duct tape.

e9c1c2d15701e13a46b3ba482028f46d.gif

That's... actually quite beautiful. :laugh:

I do see why you'd be shopping for a new flystick though.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Actually I got this one because it has a well deserved reputation for accuracy. The only downside to it is lack of buttons....well I solved that, hehe.

What video games do you play with that sort of setup? :laugh:

Stuff with about a million controls that you need to configure.

The more buttons you have at hand directly on the stick, the less often you need to take your hand off it. Never having to hunt for a key somewhere means never taking your eyes off the screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOTAS

This stick is one half of that kind of setup. The CH Pro throttle I plan on getting shortly is the other half.

Puhis takes his racing sims seriously. I'm starting to take flight/space sims seriously.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Actually I got this one because it has a well deserved reputation for accuracy. The only downside to it is lack of buttons....well I solved that, hehe.

Stuff with about a million controls that you need to configure.

The more buttons you have at hand directly on the stick, the less often you need to take your hand off it. Never having to hunt for a key somewhere means never taking your eyes off the screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOTAS

This stick is one half of that kind of setup. The CH Pro throttle I plan on getting shortly is the other half.

Puhis takes his racing sims seriously. I'm starting to take flight/space sims seriously.

I still wonder if you could use racing pedals on flight sims.

Here's probably the best lap I did last week on Donington:

I don't normally capture hotlaps, but I took the pole by half a second (!) on an official race so I kinda had to. Only real mistake was going too fast into McLeans corner (around :36 seconds), so I had to lift too much after the apex but the straight afterwards is really short, so it didn't really matter. I gained so much time on the entry that I ended up losing only .01-.02 seconds on that sector.

This week is Laguna Seca, but we've been mostly driving Spec Racer @Sebring or Solstice @Summit Point, because Finnvasion. :naughty:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
You can use racing pedals as a rudder axis, you just might need to use a virtual joystick to combine then to manipulate the same axis in different directions.

That's an option I'm considering myself, actually if I want to try foot operated rudder instead of twist operated.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Games like DCS World, where every single function of the aircraft is mappable? :P

I've used my racing pedals as rudder pedals before in War Thunder, but it requires a lot of fiddling to get it working right. They don't work quite as intended because the pedals have different weights to them for the brake, accelerator and clutch, but they do work.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Games like DCS World, where every single function of the aircraft is mappable? :P

I've used my racing pedals as rudder pedals before in War Thunder, but it requires a lot of fiddling to get it working right. They don't work quite as intended because the pedals have different weights to them for the brake, accelerator and clutch, but they do work.

DFGT might be perfect for Avder, then. No clutch, and the weight is really not an issue. :laugh:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I don't know. I think if I do decide to learn to fly with pedals, I might just go whole hog and get the CH Pedals. My legs are kinda restless tho, plus I grew up using the twist axis for various stuff. Yaw for atmoshperic flight games and roll for space combat where yaw is more important for aiming.

Or I think there's a cheap $30 wheel and pedals combo on amazon I could use to give it a try before I spend $130 on a CH product.

Of course if I'm going with Pedals I should probably just get the CH Flightstick too :laugh:

But then again, the T16000M is considered to be just HAIR more accurate, plus its single spring whereas the fighterstick is dual springed. I've heard you can really feel it when you cross center of either axis. That might be bothersome.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I love this stick so far except for one thing: the twist axis has a deadzone. That's unfortunate, but I generally relegate the least important axis to the twist in all games, so it's not THAT big of a deal.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Gears of War Ultimate Edition is incredibly fun. Brings back tons of nostalgia from the first game I really played in a dedicated way on xbox live back in 2006.

This guy got mad as hell after this

I still died, but the way I went out had me laughing so hard hahaha

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Re-playing Pokemon because I'm still mentally a child (now with disposable income).

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Ha, I have to admit I've done that 3-4 times in the last 4-5 years :laugh:

Especially if you're able to get it on your computer on an emulator...it runs at like 300% speed so you can run though everything extremely fast. I always end up settling on Fire Red.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Whoever mentioned how much fun they were having with Tales from the Borderland is absolutely correct. I'm a Telltale games fan, but hadn't tried this series yet because I had never played Borderlands. Awesome game! Awesome enough that I ended up buying the handsome collection and am having fun with that.

However . . . all that stops tomorrow when Metal Gear Solid is playable. Man, I cannot WAIT for this, all jacked up!

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Probably me! I talk about that game a lot...it's great. It's been pretty damn fun the last however many months when a Borderlands/Game of Thrones Telltale episode has been coming out each month.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Never been a huge MGS fan, though I do plan to play Phantom Pain.

I'm pretty excited for Mad Max, though. I always seem to enjoy those big free roam games.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I've gotten both MGS:V games for free, so I suppose I should probably play them. Everybody is talking about The Phantom Pain like it's the second coming of Christ so I guess I'll start playing Ground Zeroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad