OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I've been thinking about checking put Inscryption. Deck building games aren't generally my thing.... but this games been getting a ton of good reviews

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I see Inscryption is a rogue-like. Does it feel similar to Slay the Spire at all? That's one of the GOATs.

walloftvs

Mar 8, 2010
Minnesota
Got this from Santa
PXL_20211225_152133423.PORTRAIT.jpg

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Did it get lost in the mail for 40 years?

For those that may not be as big of a nerd as I, I built an emulation station with a Raspberry Pi. Rather than having to rely on the old hardware (which I would like to preserve), this is a much easier way to play and store games. If anyone is interested, I can help you build one.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

walloftvs

Mar 8, 2010
Minnesota
Wait a second, I just realized the cartridge isn't gold. What gives?

Yeah, I was hoping for a gold one but I can't be a beggar chooser. At least the battery in it works so I can save my progress.

Did it get lost in the mail for 40 years?

For those that may not be as big of a nerd as I, I built an emulation station with a Raspberry Pi. Rather than having to rely on the old hardware (which I would like to preserve), this is a much easier way to play and store games. If anyone is interested, I can help you build one.

I like working on and fixing old systems. Here's my retro lineup of consoles:

Atari 2600 (original one from my childhood even!)
NES
Sega Genesis
PS1
N64

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Yeah, I was hoping for a gold one but I can't be a beggar chooser. At least the battery in it works so I can save my progress.

I like working on and fixing old systems. Here's my retro lineup of consoles:

Atari 2600 (original one from my childhood even!)
NES
Sega Genesis
PS1
N64

Nice to see someone has the same sort of collection as myself.

I currently have the following with the older ones hooked up to a nice tube TV for some Duck Hunt.

NES
Super NES
N64
A couple NES classics
Switch
PS2
PS3
PS4
PS5
Sega Saturn
OG Xbox (modded but in need of repair or replacement... CD drive is going out)

Next up is a Dreamcast and a Genesis. NHL 94 and 96 are much better on the Genesis than they were on the Super Nintendo. Some more games as well.

Reactions: walloftvs

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nice to see someone has the same sort of collection as myself.

I currently have the following with the older ones hooked up to a nice tube TV for some Duck Hunt.

NES
Super NES
N64
A couple NES classics
Switch
PS2
PS3
PS4
PS5
Sega Saturn
OG Xbox (modded but in need of repair or replacement... CD drive is going out)

Next up is a Dreamcast and a Genesis. NHL 94 and 96 are much better on the Genesis than they were on the Super Nintendo. Some more games as well.
I still have my Genesis, PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4

I wanted a Sega Saturn back in the day, but I was waiting for the price to drop at the time first... the system didn't survive long enough for that to happen. Great system, but it's price and lack of support from game makers did it in.

By contrast I was unimpressed with the PS1, it didn't look like the true next gen upgrade that the Saturn appeared to be, but it was cheaper and was getting the games...

I just stuck with my Genesis, and other than occasionally gaming on a friend's N64 a bit later, waited until the PS2 blew through the door looking all hot and sexy!

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Very cool. I'm pretty sure we had a gold LoZ growing up and it makes me sad to remember that we sold it when we upgraded to a PS2 (I think). Really wish my family would have kept everything, but we usually traded stuff in.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
I still have my Genesis, PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4

I wanted a Sega Saturn back in the day, but I was waiting for the price to drop at the time first... the system didn't survive long enough for that to happen. Great system, but it's price and lack of support from game makers did it in.

By contrast I was unimpressed with the PS1, it didn't look like the true next gen upgrade that the Saturn appeared to be, but it was cheaper and was getting the games...

I just stuck with my Genesis, and other than occasionally gaming on a friend's N64 a bit later, waited until the PS2 blew through the door looking all hot and sexy!

That sounds like a pretty similar story to mine. I started with the NES which I had for a pretty long time and then had the Genesis for an even longer time (or I suppose it seemed to be when I was that age). My next system was the Dreamcast as I unfortunately missed out on a super Nintendo or an N64 in my youth. From there it went to a PS1 then Xbox.

Unfortunately none of those original systems from my childhood are the ones I have now. One of the things I'm most disappointed about my collection is the fact that when I was young I had a brand new copy of Metal Storm for the NES which is kind of one of those games for my childhood that's iconic but the price is ridiculous on it now.

Here's a couple pics of the collection. The more I see it the more I think I need more games lol
20220101_115010.jpg
20220101_115044.jpg
20220101_115022.jpg

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That sounds like a pretty similar story to mine. I started with the NES which I had for a pretty long time and then had the Genesis for an even longer time (or I suppose it seemed to be when I was that age). My next system was the Dreamcast as I unfortunately missed out on a super Nintendo or an N64 in my youth. From there it went to a PS1 then Xbox.

Unfortunately none of those original systems from my childhood are the ones I have now. One of the things I'm most disappointed about my collection is the fact that when I was young I had a brand new copy of Metal Storm for the NES which is kind of one of those games for my childhood that's iconic but the price is ridiculous on it now.

Here's a couple pics of the collection. The more I see it the more I think I need more games lol
View attachment 494726 View attachment 494727 View attachment 494728
I started with a Colecovision back in '82, then went to an NES in '86- these were both from my parents when I was a kid... the Genesis was the first system I bought myself in '91. The parents sold both the NES and Colecovision in a garage sale in the early 90's.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
I started with a Colecovision back in '82, then went to an NES in '86- these were both from my parents when I was a kid... the Genesis was the first system I bought myself in '91. The parents sold both the NES and Colecovision in a garage sale in the early 90's.

Wow... I think I may faintly remember a pong game that my dad picked up or playing an Atari at a friend's house but I was probably too young to remember. How was the colecovision? Never really played that. Are there any interesting games or anything?

now that I think about it I think I had a 32x on my Genesis for a little while as well... But I wouldn't consider that a system anyways

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wow... I think I may faintly remember a pong game that my dad picked up or playing an Atari at a friend's house but I was probably too young to remember. How was the colecovision? Never really played that. Are there any interesting games or anything?

now that I think about it I think I had a 32x on my Genesis for a little while as well... But I wouldn't consider that a system anyways
The controller was weird, had this number pad on it, a couple of side bumper buttons and a joy stick.

The best games we had were Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Ladybug, Turbo and Smurf Rescue.

For Turbo, we had a steering wheek and pedal setup. The wheek came with a shift lever for up and down shifting, so that was pretty cool.

The system was pretty similar to the Atari though if I remember correctly - just not all the same games available... just some crossovers.

Here's what the system looked like
latest

Ladybug

Zaxxon

Smurf Rescue

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackBusa24

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
The controller was weird, had this number pad on it, a couple of side bumper buttons and a joy stick.

The best games we had were Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Ladybug, Turbo and Smurf Rescue.

For Turbo, we had a steering wheek and pedal setup. The wheek came with a shift lever for up and down shifting, so that was pretty cool.

The system was pretty similar to the Atari though if I remember correctly - just not all the same games available... just some crossovers.

Here's what the system looked like
latest

Ladybug

Zaxxon

Smurf Rescue

The picture doesn't seem to be loading on my end.

For turbo how did the peripheral and everything work? That has to be the first one that I've ever heard of.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The picture doesn't seem to be loading on my end.

For turbo how did the peripheral and everything work? That has to be the first one that I've ever heard of.
upload_2022-1-1_12-48-1.png

Yeah, worked great!
upload_2022-1-1_12-51-22.png

I forgot the lever for shifting was the controller pad being placed in a slot on the side of the wheel, so you could use the joystick for the shift lever.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackBusa24

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
View attachment 494745

Yeah, worked great!
View attachment 494750

I forgot the lever for shifting was the controller pad being placed in a slot on the side of the wheel, so you could use the joystick for the shift lever.

That is really cool. There's something very familiar about that game but I am sure I have never played it. The peripheral was done really well too pretty surprising for stuff back in that era. I bet it was a blast.

Gives me an itch to play some road rash (which is about 50% of the reason I want a Genesis again), pole position, spy hunter or super offroad. Unfortunately I don't have any of those but RC pro am will have to do in a pinch

Reactions: TaLoN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad