OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
His knee buckled after he got punched in the head and lost equilibrium. Seems to be Ngannou rocked him and then he fell awkwardly on his knee. Whether he fell better or not I think that fight wasn't going in his favor.
Ya his knee definitely buckled after that punch.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Cain got old, how surprising
It's tough to really conclude anything out of this. Ngannou has insane power, we know that, so getting KOd by him isnt surprising.
It happening so fast doesnt help us determine anything about Cain.
We didnt see anything.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Ya his knee definitely buckled after that punch.

Cain claims Ngannou's punch didn't get him, it was all the knee. Who knows but I thought Ngannou was throwing some nice shots even if they weren't perfect.

It's tough to really conclude anything out of this. Ngannou has insane power, we know that, so getting KOd by him isnt surprising.
It happening so fast doesnt help us determine anything about Cain.
We didnt see anything.

Velasquez May Retire If Comeback Goes South

He said he would retire if he's not competitive but he truly believes it's a fluke of some sort. We'd have to see him vs another guy but he just made his path to the title a lot longer.

I'd love to see Stipe/Ngannou go at it again in a #1 contender match while Lesnar fights DC. Cain can fight Blaydes(coming off a KO from Ngannou too) or go a little lower and fight Overeem and JDS who are in top 10.

Reactions: LeHab

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I guess this sets up DC fighting Ngannou to avenge his buddy and beat another monster on his way out, Rocky 4 style. I suspected from the get-go this was way too hard a matchup for Cain's comeback after such a long time. Ngannou might not be the most polished fighter out there but he's a freak and he's got power to burn in the early minutes of a fight . You need to be sharp to survive that early storm, before he gets tired .

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Cain claims Ngannou's punch didn't get him, it was all the knee. Who knows but I thought Ngannou was throwing some nice shots even if they weren't perfect.

Velasquez May Retire If Comeback Goes South

He said he would retire if he's not competitive but he truly believes it's a fluke of some sort. We'd have to see him vs another guy but he just made his path to the title a lot longer.

I'd love to see Stipe/Ngannou go at it again in a #1 contender match while Lesnar fights DC. Cain can fight Blaydes(coming off a KO from Ngannou too) or go a little lower and fight Overeem and JDS who are in top 10.
I have no interest in watching Lesnar fight for the title. Much rather see a Stipe vs DC rematch.
Give Ngannou to Lesnar but I doubt Brock would take that fight.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I have no interest in watching Lesnar fight for the title. Much rather see a Stipe vs DC rematch.
Brock didn't do too good against big guys that can strike, for sure. Overeem just eviscerated him and we all know what Ngannou did to the guy.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Brock didn't do too good against big guys that can strike, for sure. Overeem just eviscerated him and we all know what Ngannou did to the guy.

Overeem has better TD defense than Ngannou tho. If Brock doesn't get the fight down, he's toast. But if he does..

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Well, it seems to be already planned. At end of the day if DC fought Lesnar on the timeline he was supposed to(DC is currently injured) it would and may still mean DC will have fought and defended title twice before Stipe even took another fight after a 1st round KO loss. At a certain point Stipe needs to fight again.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Wasn't he going through his issues vs Cain and Overeem? I think he loses anyway because steroid Overeem and steroid Lesnar are a wash physically and one has more technical knowledge and experience. Just saying, I don't think that was Lesnar's peak.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, it seems to be already planned. At end of the day if DC fought Lesnar on the timeline he was supposed to(DC is currently injured) it would and may still mean DC will have fought and defended title twice before Stipe even took another fight after a 1st round KO loss. At a certain point Stipe needs to fight again.
I'd love to continue this convo but I'm st a rooftop bar in bangkok taking regrettable decisions. TBC mate.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
His knee buckled after he got punched in the head and lost equilibrium. Seems to be Ngannou rocked him and then he fell awkwardly on his knee. Whether he fell better or not I think that fight wasn't going in his favor.
Yeah I rewatched, you are right. I was mostly going off of the Cruz commentary which was incredibly bad tbh.

Reactions: Acadien86

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Every time I see Cain, I can't help but wonder how a fighter with 'White Pride' tattoo'd on his chest would be received lol.

Reactions: overlords

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
https://www.tsn.ca/report-gsp-to-announce-retirement-1.1260632?tsn-amp&__twitter_impression=true

The UFC has called a press conference for Thursday at the Bell Centre in Montreal where RDS's Benoit Beaudoin reports that Georges St-Pierre will announce his retirement.
I actually hope it's for good this time. He's made people forget the whole Hendricks thing, added a belt to his resume, etc. No use risking his legacy at this point. ditto for DC after his next fight in my book. Go out on top, with your health.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
But GSP said a couple days ago he wanted Khabib? Odd. Maybe his head is really that far gone. Glad to see him retire if this is true.
Strange. Thought he was angling for a fight with Khabib. I wonder if he's had health setbacks?
That fight wasn't happening, which is apparently a large part of the reasoning behind his decision to retire. It's the only thing that still motivated him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
How do you know it wasn't happening or ever going to happen?
It's mentioned in the original article
Sources: GSP to announce retirement from UFC

St-Pierre, 37, had hoped secure a fight against lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov later this year, sources say. However, once it was clear that fight would not materialize, the longtime welterweight champion decided it was time to walk away.

It's all from a well informed source apparently, maybe GSP himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad