Prospect Info: General Prospects Thread (2015-2016 Season)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think we still have Kiviaho's rights, do we?

EDIT - We do, huh. Completely forgot about him.

As long as Dallas qualifies him, they hold his rights until he's 27 years old.

It's a win-win for Dallas. He won't count against the roster limit, but he can develop in Finland. If they feel he's earned a shot in North America, they can try to convince him to come back, and Dallas is only option for the next few years.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
As long as Dallas qualifies him, they hold his rights until he's 27 years old.

It's a win-win for Dallas. He won't count against the roster limit, but he can develop in Finland. If they feel he's earned a shot in North America, they can try to convince him to come back, and Dallas is only option for the next few years.

Welcome back, man!

hommeDC

Nov 20, 2014
So I just noticed Lagace's potential score got upgraded in the last couple days on our Hockey's Future page. I wonder if anything else is going to change?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
So I just noticed Lagace's potential score got upgraded in the last couple days on our Hockey's Future page. I wonder if anything else is going to change?

I predict that this change will not stop anybody that posts here from freaking about how we have no goalies at all if they already freak out about it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He hasn't garnered much interest, but I think we really need to have a discussion about Jason Dickinson and how he fits in next year.

He's got 10 goals in his last 12 games down with the Baby Stars, 45 points in 60 games to go with 20 goals. He's third in rookie scoring behind Rantanen (who is tearing up the AHL right now) and Riley Barber, good for 15th overall in league scoring. And this is all coming from a guy who's biggest question marks were on offense. I think he's definitely going to make a significant push to get on the roster full-time next year, but I'm not really sure where he fits in.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
He hasn't garnered much interest, but I think we really need to have a discussion about Jason Dickinson and how he fits in next year.

He's got 10 goals in his last 12 games down with the Baby Stars, 45 points in 60 games to go with 20 goals. He's third in rookie scoring behind Rantanen (who is tearing up the AHL right now) and Riley Barber, good for 15th overall in league scoring. And this is all coming from a guy who's biggest question marks were on offense. I think he's definitely going to make a significant push to get on the roster full-time next year, but I'm not really sure where he fits in.

Unless he Janmarks in camp, send him back down without thinking twice about it.

Benn Seguin Nichushkin
Janmark Spezza Hemsky
Eakin Roussell Sharp
4 spots left
Scevior is worth bringing back
Faksa
Ritchie
McKenzie
Ranford/Stransky (if we go 14 forwards)

Big minutes for Dickinson, Shore, Gurianov, etc in the AHL.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

I don't think this is crazy. I think there's a pretty good chance he does exactly that, actually.

Benn Seguin Nichushkin
Janmark Spezza Hemsky
Eakin Roussell Sharp
4 spots left
Scevior is worth bringing back
Faksa
Ritchie
McKenzie
Ranford/Stransky (if we go 14 forwards)

Big minutes for Dickinson, Shore, Gurianov, etc in the AHL.

I think Ruff giving Ritchie top line minutes right off of the bat is pretty telling - he's here to stay, I believe. The rest looks right, although I think we're gonna have to choose between Sceviour and Eaves. I don't really care, they're not too dissimilar and both play a similar role. Faksa should be a lock, so there's a fourth line right there. McKenzie should also be a regular, I agree with that. I don't think Stransky has much of a chance at all, although Ranford could be an alright 14th forward.

Actually, maybe we bring back both Eaves and Sceviour if their contract demands aren't too rich. I'd be fine with that.

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Janmark - Spezza - Sharp
Roussel - Eakin - Hemsky
McKenzie - Faksa - Ritchie
Eaves, Sceviour

Defense is a different story, not for a Prospects thread.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'd bet against Dickinson making it out of camp, he'll probably see some NHL time but I think that would be more of a 1st/2nd call-up in the event of an injury type of a scenario.

Ritchie is a lock, he'll require waivers, and ya know, good at hockey. Faksa will be a lock too.

I think McKenzie will be the designated 13th forward. His contract shifts from a 2 way deal to a 1 way deal, he requires waivers and at only 675k he's very cost effective. I don't think he'll be one of the main 12 because I don't think he's overly good.

I'd take Sceviour over Eaves, I think they're both pretty mediocre but Colton isn't a walking disabled list.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't think this is crazy. I think there's a pretty good chance he does exactly that, actually.

I think Ruff giving Ritchie top line minutes right off of the bat is pretty telling - he's here to stay, I believe. The rest looks right, although I think we're gonna have to choose between Sceviour and Eaves. I don't really care, they're not too dissimilar and both play a similar role. Faksa should be a lock, so there's a fourth line right there. McKenzie should also be a regular, I agree with that. I don't think Stransky has much of a chance at all, although Ranford could be an alright 14th forward.

Actually, maybe we bring back both Eaves and Sceviour if their contract demands aren't too rich. I'd be fine with that.

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Janmark - Spezza - Sharp
Roussel - Eakin - Hemsky
McKenzie - Faksa - Ritchie
Eaves, Sceviour

Defense is a different story, not for a Prospects thread.

I just made a list, not really any thought into who goes where. And I doubt we can find some UFA who is cheap and good enough to play. Nill is gonna Nill.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

I thought that Dickinson was one of the best looking forwards in camp this past year. If he hadn't had such a slow start this year in the AHL, he'd probably already have had a cup of coffee in the NHL this season...at the very least.

I think he has a really good chance of making the team out of camp because of his versatility to play wing and his 200-ft game...he's another Faksa, but with more offensive potential.

If we have more injuries, Dickinson will probably get the next call up instead of McKenzie.

Brendan Ranford is someone who will get a look sooner or later as well. He leads the T-Stars with 49 pts in 62 games...he has pretty good wheels, and playmaking ability...a lot of hustle. He's another alternative to McKenzie for a call-up.

Given Faksa, Ritchie, Dickinson, Shore, and Ranford...at this point I'm beginning to think that McKenzie's days here are numbered.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I thought that Dickinson was one of the best looking forwards in camp this past year. If he hadn't had such a slow start this year in the AHL, he'd probably already have had a cup of coffee in the NHL this season...at the very least.

I think he has a really good chance of making the team out of camp because of his versatility to play wing and his 200-ft game...he's another Faksa, but with more offensive potential.

If we have more injuries, Dickinson will probably get the next call up instead of McKenzie.

Brendan Ranford is someone who will get a look sooner or later as well. He leads the T-Stars with 49 pts in 62 games...he has pretty good wheels, and playmaking ability...a lot of hustle. He's another alternative to McKenzie for a call-up.

Given Faksa, Ritchie, Dickinson, Shore, and Ranford...at this point I'm beginning to think that McKenzie's days here are numbered.

I don't think there's any doubt about McKenzie not being a core piece. He is cheap, and he was a 6th rounder, so he's essentially house money for us to play with. He can sit in the pressbox as often as we want, and nobody will cry about how he needs to play. Plus when he does come in, he can offer something different against physical teams, so he can be useful if we need him to.

Dickinson may be the 13th best forward we have next year, but he needs to play and Ruff might not want to play 4 rookies at once. I'm not sure who they hope can replace Spezza, but another year of developing chemistry between him and Shore/Elie/Gurianov could mean big rewards down the line.

Ranford is even more house money that McKenzie. He can't play bottom 6 according to Sean Shapiro, he's probably a Morin type then who we could stick in the pressbox without anybody caring, but we're probably better off letting him help the AHL team.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I am thinking Dickinson could take Eakins place. If he is included in a trade for a dman. I don't think Ranford offers much and is a career AHLer. Not saying that is a bad thing but the Morin comparison is a good one. Maybe Dickinson plays some left wing on the second line while janmark plays center on third. They can switch out.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Anyone know which players in Texas would require waivers next season?

Out of the players who have a shot of making the team or are likely to make the team...

Require Waivers:
Backman
Ritchie
McKenzie
Ranford (I think they'll sneak him through anyways)

Exempt:
Johns
Faksa
Lindell
Dickinson
Shore
Honka

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I thought Johns required waivers?

EDIT - Nope, I'm wrong. He indeed does have another year.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/future-watch-2016-the-nhls-top-10-falling-prospects/

Interesting from the Hockey News on "falling prospects". Granted, they qualify it, and mention his current NHL status, but call it all questionable. No Stars love from THN. Honka and Gurionov both made the top 50 (20, 34) in another article.

Some other interesting prospect names on the droppers list, too.

4. Brett Ritchie, RW, Dallas Stars (-41)
Last year: 35th
This year: Not ranked

Ritchie, 22, wouldn’t have dropped in the rankings nearly as much had he not missed a significant chunk of time after wrist surgery in September. He returned to the AHL Texas Stars’ lineup in December and didn’t miss a beat, playing a heavy power forward game and flashing some goal-scoring ability. Dallas called him up to the NHL last week, but it remains to be seen if he can stick there for good. Playing with Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin sure is an opportunity of a lifetime. Ritchie does have six goals in 33 career games with the big club but hasn’t quite graduated from Quad-A status.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It's a reasonable opinion to have. Ritchie hasn't really lived up to the hype at the NHL level in terms of counting stats, he was drafted 5 years ago and sits in the middle of his round in terms of NHL games played, and the easiest narrative to impose is "injury causes fall down depth chart." It's silly to us, but way easier than admitting they were wrong about how high he should have been in the first place and that Janmark's and Faksa's impacts have been much greater than their experts predicted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad