Prospect Info: General Prospects Thread (2015-2016 Season)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Out of the 2014 draft picks who do you guys think will get offered a contract at the end of this year? Obviously the season is long, but the only defence out of the billion we picked that year that has impressed me is Honka. Pollock should be a no brainer for a contract in my opinion.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think passing on Barzal is going to haunt us for quite a while. Continues to tear up the WHL, Guryanov on the other hand has put up 1 point in his past 22 games in the KHL, 4 points total over 32 games. His TOI has been reduced to about 4-5 mins per game the past few games.

Don't judge recent draft picks by how they score in khl. 18 year Olds rarely get opportunities in khl.

Kucherov 5 pt in 18 gm.
Kamenev 10 in 41 gm.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Don't judge recent draft picks by how they score in khl. 18 year Olds rarely get opportunities in khl.

Kucherov 5 pt in 18 gm.
Kamenev 10 in 41 gm.

Doesn't help that DG plays on one of the worst teams. I'm sure he'd be near the top guys in scoring if he was in the WHL, OHL, or the Q. At least he's playing against men right now. Yeah it would be nice to see him put up more numbers, but if you watch his highlights he's always finding away to get scoring chances. Give the guy time I think we'll be happy with him in a few years

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Doesn't help that DG plays on one of the worst teams. I'm sure he'd be near the top guys in scoring if he was in the WHL, OHL, or the Q. At least he's playing against men right now. Yeah it would be nice to see him put up more numbers, but if you watch his highlights he's always finding away to get scoring chances. Give the guy time I think we'll be happy with him in a few years

The question is would we have been happier sooner with either Barzal or Konecny?...instead of going off the board...again.

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
Something to consider regarding Guryanov's numbers/icetime in his first full season: Barring a few exceptions, rookies don't get top 6 icetime in the Russia/the KHL, even in cases where the team is a hot pile of garbage (like Lada is this season). As some have pointed out, a lot of his goals have come from sheer determination, which is awesome to see considering how wicked his shot is.

I get that some people would want to point to say, Tarasenko's KHL numbers for comparison. In doing this, there's an important thing to consider with him, which is that his rookie season, 2009-10, was also his father Andrei's first season as head coach of the team. This gave him Vladimir top line minutes and enabled his rapid development as an offensive force in the KHL. Having a parent in a coaching, managerial etc position goes a long way over there in terms of getting you priority ice time. If you read Dave King's book "King of Russia" which covers his first season as the first North American coach in (it was at the time the KHL predecessor) the Russian Superleague; you read him talk about the problems he had with management in that he refused to give priority icetime to a son of one of the team's higher ups. He refused because there were better players on the team, and this behavior by him was considered almost offensive. It doesn't surprise me to see that a team like Lada is sticking the old ways of giving veterans priority no matter what.

Obviously there are a handful of young Russian KHL'ers to compare to but the above is just one example that I wanted to use given that I've seen Tarasenko's name pop up on here in Guryanov discussions.

It is a huge disappointment that he got cut from the Russian team, I know a lot of us would have loved to have gotten a fresh look at him playing against his peers.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
The question is would we have been happier sooner with either Barzal or Konecny?...instead of going off the board...again.

We as fans would be happier right now because of familiarity and being able to watch these guys more.

Something to consider regarding Guryanov's numbers/icetime in his first full season: Barring a few exceptions, rookies don't get top 6 icetime in the Russia/the KHL, even in cases where the team is a hot pile of garbage (like Lada is this season). As some have pointed out, a lot of his goals have come from sheer determination, which is awesome to see considering how wicked his shot is.

I get that some people would want to point to say, Tarasenko's KHL numbers for comparison. In doing this, there's an important thing to consider with him, which is that his rookie season, 2009-10, was also his father Andrei's first season as head coach of the team. This gave him Vladimir top line minutes and enabled his rapid development as an offensive force in the KHL. Having a parent in a coaching, managerial etc position goes a long way over there in terms of getting you priority ice time. If you read Dave King's book "King of Russia" which covers his first season as the first North American coach in (it was at the time the KHL predecessor) the Russian Superleague; you read him talk about the problems he had with management in that he refused to give priority icetime to a son of one of the team's higher ups. He refused because there were better players on the team, and this behavior by him was considered almost offensive. It doesn't surprise me to see that a team like Lada is sticking the old ways of giving veterans priority no matter what.

Obviously there are a handful of young Russian KHL'ers to compare to but the above is just one example that I wanted to use given that I've seen Tarasenko's name pop up on here in Guryanov discussions.

It is a huge disappointment that he got cut from the Russian team, I know a lot of us would have loved to have gotten a fresh look at him playing against his peers.

Thanks for this. Appreciate it.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
DBD's New Top 10 Prospects: (different graduation rules than HF so some prospects are not here)

1. Lindell
2. Honka
3. Shore
4. Dickinson
5. Faksa
6. Hansson
7. Johns
8. Guryanov
9. Pollock
10. Backman

What are your thoughts?

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
DBD's New Top 10 Prospects: (different graduation rules than HF so some prospects are not here)

1. Lindell
2. Honka
3. Shore
4. Dickinson
5. Faksa
6. Hansson
7. Johns
8. Guryanov
9. Pollock
10. Backman

What are your thoughts?

Ive never seen or really read much on Hansson besides the prospect updates Dallas gives us, so cant say much oh him. Im guessing this is assuming Ritchie isnt a spect also?

Either way i would say that its a pretty good list, and you could argue a few guys spots. Guryanov is still hard to predict but really could be top 3 if he wasnt in his situation and was getting some icetime

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Such a shame Shore got injured . He looked great and could've seen more time with the big club this season . Hope he recovers well.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Ive never seen or really read much on Hansson besides the prospect updates Dallas gives us, so cant say much oh him. Im guessing this is assuming Ritchie isnt a spect also?

Either way i would say that its a pretty good list, and you could argue a few guys spots. Guryanov is still hard to predict but really could be top 3 if he wasnt in his situation and was getting some icetime

Yes, Ritchie is graduated according to DBD requirements.

I think Honka is our #1 prospect. He is 1.5 years younger than Lindell. He has more points than Lindell this year, way better skating than Lindell, 1st Round pedigree, and I think overall higher upside. Lindell has size on Honka and that's about it by my estimation.

Guryanov's upside alone (probably being the highest of all of our prospects IMO...though you could argue Honka) puts him in the top 5 at least IMO, but that's personal taste as far as rankings go.

It's a good list overall.

I like Faksa at about 5th where they have him, and I like Hansson's inclusion in the sweet spot of the list.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Using the DBDs Prospect Requirements...My top 10 would look something like this:

1. Honka
2. Guryanov
3. Dickinson
4. Lindell
5. Shore
6. Faksa
7. Johns
8. Pollock
9. Backman
10. Ully

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Button has Hansson @50th of all drafted prospects not in the NHL, but he doesn't make your top 10?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
i have no idea what the DBD prospect requirements are, i've made assumptions that Ritchie, Nemeth, Oleksiak aren't prospects (thanks 4 the link boyz) but my top 10 looked like this in the summer

1. Honka
2. Dickinson
3. Guryanov
4. Lindell
5. Johns
6. Ritchie
7. Nemeth
8. Shore
9. Pollock
10. Desrosiers

it probably shapes into this

1. Honka
2. Dickinson
3. Lindell
4. Guryanov
5. Hansson
6. Faksa
7. Shore
8. Johns
9. Pollock
10. Backman

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Button has Hansson @50th of all drafted prospects not in the NHL, but he doesn't make your top 10?

Here you go...with Hansson.

1. Honka
2. Guryanov
3. Hansson
4. Dickinson
5. Lindell
6. Shore
7. Faksa
8. Johns
9. Pollock
10. Backman

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Anyone here ever seen Hansson play? From what I know hes just another offensive D that needs help getting better in the defensive side ( although thats lots of D prospects )

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
For me...

1. Honka
2. Guryanov
3. Lindell
4. Dickinson
5. Hansson
6. Faksa
7. Shore
8. Backman
9. Ully
10. Johns

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Anyone here ever seen Hansson play? From what I know hes just another offensive D that needs help getting better in the defensive side ( although thats lots of D prospects )

He looks like Lindell with better skating and more offensive flair from the videos I've seen.

Stats are really impressive in the SHL.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Henri Kiviaho was a total disaster early in the season and far away from a starter in a Finnish league. Markus Korhonen (goalie coach in Ilves) has, however, done a great job with him and at the moment he looks like a great prospect. The similar thing happened with Joonas Korpisalo who was almost a lost prospect, but after 1,5 years in Korhonen´s clinic a starter in Blue Jackets.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't think we still have Kiviaho's rights, do we?

EDIT - We do, huh. Completely forgot about him.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
These lists are always a bit funny. Faksa in the NHL still a prospect but Ritchie has graduated......Hard to know exact rankings, but I have bolded the ones I think we will eventually see in the NHL for at least 50 games.

In the past, only a small percentage or our prospects has made it. I think this crop will be higher, but not 100%, maybe 50%. I left Shore off, for instance, thinking the injury sets him back..

1. Lindell
2. Honka
3. Shore
4. Dickinson
5. Faksa
6. Hansson
7. Johns
8. Guryanov
9. Pollock
10. Backman

Discuss.

Ad