Prospect Info: General Prospects Thread (2015-2016 Season)

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Bernhardt and Nieuwendyk considered him that. Whether Jackson and the rest of the scouting staff did is a matter of speculation. From what I understand Nieuwendyk and then later Niewy & Bernhardt had control of the 1st round picks. The staff wanted Kulikov, but Nieuwendyk wanted Kadri. When Toronto took Kadri there wasn't a plan B and so Nieuwendyk took the next guy on their list Glennie, whom they hadn't actually spoken to, because Kulikov was never going to be chosen. I have no idea if that list was Joe and Bernhardt's or the list the scouting staff gave. Again that's a matter for speculation and I'd pay real money to sit down and have a long conversation with Les Jackson about all that.

On Campbell, Bernhardt locked in to the exclusion of all else. It didn't matter that both Fowler and Gormley were still on the board, Dallas was always going to take Campbell. It's the reason Bernhardt was later fired. It's also a main reason why Nieuwendyk was eventually fired. He meddled with the 1st round picks and none of them worked out, plus Crawford and everything else that subsequently happened.

Just thank god that Jackson and company made several other good picks because had we drafted like Edmonton in the 2-7th rounds well this franchise would be more like Arizona and Nill wouldn't be here.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
we need more chatter on here from fans about the prospect tourney... curious how Lindell has been

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Bystrom and Johns are the big performers on the blueline it seems. If Johns is starting to break away from the pack then there isn't much reason to think Lindell will make his NHL debut this year.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Bernhardt and Nieuwendyk considered him that. Whether Jackson and the rest of the scouting staff did is a matter of speculation. From what I understand Nieuwendyk and then later Niewy & Bernhardt had control of the 1st round picks. The staff wanted Kulikov, but Nieuwendyk wanted Kadri. When Toronto took Kadri there wasn't a plan B and so Nieuwendyk took the next guy on their list Glennie, whom they hadn't actually spoken to, because Kulikov was never going to be chosen. I have no idea if that list was Joe and Bernhardt's or the list the scouting staff gave. Again that's a matter for speculation and I'd pay real money to sit down and have a long conversation with Les Jackson about all that.

On Campbell, Bernhardt locked in to the exclusion of all else. It didn't matter that both Fowler and Gormley were still on the board, Dallas was always going to take Campbell. It's the reason Bernhardt was later fired. It's also a main reason why Nieuwendyk was eventually fired. He meddled with the 1st round picks and none of them worked out, plus Crawford and everything else that subsequently happened.

Just thank god that Jackson and company made several other good picks because had we drafted like Edmonton in the 2-7th rounds well this franchise would be more like Arizona and Nill wouldn't be here.

From what I have heard Kulikov is who Bernhardt wanted us to take instead of Glennie, that pick was all Joe

SeanShapiro

Jul 21, 2015
Great stuff.

Could you expand on your Alex Peters point? Timing as in what? Pivoting too late? Challenging too late? Passing?

I'm hoping he can turn into a professional player. Our defensive prospects in the OHL are a promising bunch.

Timing in reading the play.

Seemed a bit slow recognizing and reacting to the play. He often looked fine against players his own age, but some of the older prospects at tournament took advantage of this.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yeah, that's definitely believable. Losing virtually all of last year really hurt his development. He needs to have a huge year in Flint.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I am eager to know your opinion on how many Finnish dmen will be in the rooster in the beginning of the season? Is Jokipakka a lock? How about Honka and Lindell?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I am eager to know your opinion on how many Finnish dmen will be in the rooster in the beginning of the season? Is Jokipakka a lock? How about Honka and Lindell?

It looks like Joki is a lock, but how much ice he gets is up in the air. Johns is probably first called up, so Honka and Lindell are unlikely to play in the NHL this year.

SeanShapiro

Jul 21, 2015

Jokipakka should be in the NHL to start the season, I would bet on that.

Honka probably still a year from the NHL because of depth, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindell make his NHL debut this season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The other major factor keeping Honka out of the NHL is his contract. He's eligible for a 2nd year to have his contract slide. He signed a 3 year contract last training camp, but because he did not play in 10 games as an 18 year old, it slid making this year the first year of his contract.

As a 19 year old, if he again plays less than 10 NHL games, he will again receive the benefit of a contract slide. This contract slide is only afforded to 18 and 19 year old players signed to entry level contracts.

As on overage draft pick (birthday falls between September 15th and December 31st), he is only eligible for this 2nd slide year because he signed his contract as an 18 year old. Overage players who sign at 19 are not eligible for a slide year. On the other hand, players born between January 1st and September 14th are eligible to slide 1 year even if they sign as a 19 year old player (refer to Jason Dickinson as an example).

I don't believe given Dallas' depth that Jim Nill will be interested in burning an extremely valuable Entry Level Contract year off of Honka's contract. Look at Klingberg's major raise after just 60 games in his NHL career. Honka boasts a similar level of talent, and he has the potential to command a lengthy contract ignoring the standard bridge deal. If you played Honka this season, that raise would be coming at the same time you're trying to negotiate a new deal for Tyler Seguin. Let him grow and develop in the AHL and you have an extra year to see how Honka and his potential raise fit in to Dallas' new salary structure which will include significant raises to Benn and Seguin.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
The other major factor keeping Honka out of the NHL is his contract. He's eligible for a 2nd year to have his contract slide. He signed a 3 year contract last training camp, but because he did not play in 10 games as an 18 year old, it slid making this year the first year of his contract.

As a 19 year old, if he again plays less than 10 NHL games, he will again receive the benefit of a contract slide. This contract slide is only afforded to 18 and 19 year old players signed to entry level contracts.

As on overage draft pick (birthday falls between September 15th and December 31st), he is only eligible for this 2nd slide year because he signed his contract as an 18 year old. Overage players who sign at 19 are not eligible for a slide year. On the other hand, players born between January 1st and September 14th are eligible to slide 1 year even if they sign as a 19 year old player (refer to Jason Dickinson as an example).

I don't believe given Dallas' depth that Jim Nill will be interested in burning an extremely valuable Entry Level Contract year off of Honka's contract. Look at Klingberg's major raise after just 60 games in his NHL career. Honka boasts a similar level of talent, and he has the potential to command a lengthy contract ignoring the standard bridge deal. If you played Honka this season, that raise would be coming at the same time you're trying to negotiate a new deal for Tyler Seguin. Let him grow and develop in the AHL and you have an extra year to see how Honka and his potential raise fit in to Dallas' new salary structure which will include significant raises to Benn and Seguin.

This is a severely underrated fact, if Honka is able to spend this year in the AHL with a contract slide, and then potentially have 3 years in the NHL at an entry level deal would be huge for our salary cap situation.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I just realized I screwed up years while I was at work. Benn not Seguin's contract is up in two years, and Honka's would end the same year as Seguin's if they let him slide this year.

Sorry for the messed up contract years, but the point stands that Dallas benefits for maximizing the ELC years as much as possible.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I just realized I screwed up years while I was at work. Benn not Seguin's contract is up in two years, and Honka's would end the same year as Seguin's if they let him slide this year.

Sorry for the messed up contract years, but the point stands that Dallas benefits for maximizing the ELC years as much as possible.

I've missed reading your post Biggy! You need to start posting more again ;)

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Dallas Stars Prospect Report: http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781736&navid=DL|DAL|home

Quick Breakdown:

RW Denis Guryanov

Guryanov is starting to settle into the KHL after coming back from injury, he is averaging about 11:42 TOI and is currently playing on the 2nd line. Earned KHL Rookie of the Week honors last week.

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
8 |1| 1| 2| -1| 0|

Niklas Hansson

Hansson leads HV71 and ranks third in the league with 22:48 of ice time per game. He’s also tallied four assists in his first six games and is tied for ninth among SHL defensemen in scoring.

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
6|0|4|4|-1|4

D John Nyberg

Nyberg scored his first professional goal, tallying what proved to be the game-winner in Oskarshamn’s 3-2 win over Karlskoga in the HockeyAllsvenskan, Sweden’s second-highest league

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
8|1|1|2|-2|6

D Aleksi Makela

Makela has played for both Ilves in Finland’s top league and Leki in the Mestis, Finland’s second-highest league

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
5|0|1|1|+1|2

D Miro Karjalainen

Karjalainen is playing in juniors for HIFK in Finland. He has picked up one assist in three games and ranks second in the league with 52 penalty minutes.

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
3|0|1|1|+1|52

D Troy Vance

Vance, who played for Idaho and Missouri of the ECHL last season, is with Assat in Finland’s top league this season

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
9|0|1|1|0|4

G Henri Kiviaho

Kiviaho who played with Idaho (ECHL) last season, is with Leki in Finland’s second-highest league this season. He has played two games, posting a 0-1-1 record and stopping 52 of 58 shots.

GP|W-L-O|GAA|SV%
2|0-1-1|2.98|.897

G Markus Ruusu is playing for JYP in Finnish juniors, posting a 2-7-0 record, 4.23 goals-against-average and .883 save percentage.

GP|W-L-O|GAA|SV%
9|2-7-0|4.23|.883

LW Brett Pollock scored the game-winner in overtime as Edmonton defeated Swift Current, 3-2, Sunday night in the WHL

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
4|2|2|4|-2|6

D Patrick Sanvido has registered three assists in four games for Windsor, all the helpers coming in a 7-1 win over Saginaw on Thursday. Sanvido is in his second season as captain of the Spitfires.

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
4|0|3|3|+1|6

D Alex Peters has no points in five games for Flint. Peters, who missed almost all of last season with a knee injury, is the captain of the Firebirds this season.

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
5|0|0|0|-1|4

D Chris Martenet has no points and a plus-two rating in four games for the London Knights.

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
4|0|0|0|+2|8

D Aaron Haydon has no points in five games for Niagara. Haydon is serving as assistant captain this season.

GP|G|A|PTS|+/-|PIMS
5|0|0|0|-2|7

G Brent Moran has started four of five games for Niagara, posting a 1-3-0 record and 3.52 goals-against average.

GP|W-L-O|GAA|SV%
4|1-3-0|3.52|.880

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Wow, now that's an update.

Awesome to hear about them all. Thanks.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Legace has had a great training camp and preseason, glad he is getting a chance to start. The goalie situation down in Austin is going to be interesting to say the least this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad