Prospect Info: General Prospects Thread (2015-2016 Season)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Ritchie has the highest upside, offensively, amongst the group of Faksa and Janmark IMO.

He has the best shot, the ability and size to be a net-front presence, and the softest hands of the 3.

All-around game is something altogether different, but I think Ritchie's potential warranted, and still warrants being ranked higher than Faksa.

Without that injury, he likely would've been an impactful player on the team for most of the season this year.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The even easier answer is that power forwards take longer to come around. I think his development has been handled right. He had to battle through some consistency/work rate issues early on, as is common with power forward types...but every time he is on a big stage, be it the NHL or the WJCs, he pulverizes every one...meanwhile, in the AHL, he is working on skill stuff. Nothing not to like about his development so far for me.

Not to say that him "dropping" on whoever's list is unreasonable...just short-sighted...doesn't take into account differing development arcs and routes.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Ritchie scratched tonight vs Montreal: sweet sweet vindication for The Hockey News

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
My guess is Eaves gets the old "you don't lose your spot because of injury/illness" favorable treatment, as well as the vet treatment preference.

Brett didn't get that same treatment in the rankings.

I agree he has a higher upside than most, even if his game as a power forward may not yield great offensive numbers. With his play style, 20 goals a year in a few years is just fine, maybe 15, but he doesn't need to hit 30 to be a success.

The neatest part is he is always noticeable on the ice, both last year and this years "try outs." He passes the eye test, as does Janmark and Faksa. Even if Eaves plays tonight, I think Nill will be happy to fill his mid to bottom six forwards with his AHL call ups. With a full year, a younger lineup should do better in the playoffs than one littered with the likes of Eaves, Moen, Fiddler, etc. Looks to me like our forward ranks are in pretty good shape, especially with Dickenson, Shore, maybe DG not far behind.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I just hope some of the Vets get scratched too when everyone is healthy again. It's unlikely the Stars send Faksa and Ritchie back with just two callups left and no roster limitation.

Moen i can't see getting playing time over the young guys but the rest of them might make for scratches for the kids

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
With both Ritchie and Faksa up there is no possible justification to dress Moen in any game that even remotely matters. Only way he even plays in an NHL game again is when the team wants to rest guys if the games have no implications on standings anymore.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Moen's value is 90% cap related. Only way we dumped Gonchar was to take back a lower but still inflated salary for an extra year. Yeah, he can fill in when absolutely necessary, but his career is basically over at the NHL level.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Rangers fan here, what do Stars fans think of Stephen Johns? Do you guys think he fits long term with Dallas, or does he potentially get moved? Just curious

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I think he is a long term solution. He seems to be a good skater and if he does not go for the big hit all the time he should be just what Dallas needs

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Nemeth just graduated.

The past few seasons we've graduated quite a few prospects. Good scouting.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
and Backman ? resign ?

I'd definitely resign him, but his steady-eddy defensive play has really tailed off in the last few months. I'm not as confident in him as I once was towards him cracking the lineup next year with the big club. Lindell has definitely put some distance between himself and Backman on the depth chart.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I know I asked you guys about this a couple of months ago - but do you have any inkling re whether the Stars are anticipating Chris Martenet (2015 - 4/103) to play in the AHL next season (he currently plays for the London Knights). He's a late birthday, so is AHL-eligible next season even though he was drafted from the OHL last season.

I'm just asking b/c if he was returned to London, he'd take up one of the team's 3 overage spots - and we were talking in the Knights threads about who those players might be. So that's why I was wondering.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Depends alot on how the defense shakes out for the big club , who then makes the big club out of the youngsters and whats left for the AHL . Don't think anyone can really answer this yet but i wouldn't anticipate him in Texas next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad