General Preds Talk Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
With the official boards DOA and the team floundering like a catfish thrown onto the ice, it's no surprise that those who are posting have a bit of a 'tude about things.

I see only three things happening that could change things up:

1. A winning streak.
2. Pekka returns - healthy.
3. Trotz and/or Poile are fired.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
With the official boards DOA and the team floundering like a catfish thrown onto the ice, it's no surprise that those who are posting have a bit of a 'tude about things.

I see only three things happening that could change things up:

1. A winning streak.
2. Pekka returns - healthy.
3. Trotz and/or Poile are fired.

Honestly, I think only #3 will actually fix anything.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
We don't have any pure scorers. We don't have anyone who is a threat to score every time they are on the ice. And that is what ultimately dooms this franchise to mediocrity

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Our goalies with those with more than 15 starts:

GAA: 35 and 36th out of 46 qualifying (Maz then Hutton)
Save%: 29 (Maz) and 36 (Hutton)

Our skaters:
Top goal scorer: Tied for 62nd with 15 other skaters - Craig Smith with 13 goals; Mike Fisher with 12 goals tied for 77th with 16 other skaters.
Top points: Tied for 84th with 6 other players - Shea Weber with 29 points, then Legwand at 90/tied with 14 players.
Top assists: Tied at 52nd overall with 8 other players, Legwand with 21 assists; then weber at 79 with 13 other players (19 assists).

Our forward with most TOI this season: Fisher at 19 then Legwand with 16:44

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Our skaters:
Top goal scorer: Tied for 62nd with 15 other skaters - Craig Smith with 13 goals; Mike Fisher with 12 goals tied for 77th with 16 other skaters.
Top points: Tied for 84th with 6 other players - Shea Weber with 29 points, then Legwand at 90/tied with 14 players.
Top assists: Tied at 52nd overall with 8 other players, Legwand with 21 assists; then weber at 79 with 13 other players (19 assists).

Amazingly, our underperforming goalie duo both have better sv% than Emery, Pavelec, Dubnyk, Ward, and Backstrom. We have two guys who were supposed to be backups forced into starting roles. Those other names are allegedly NHL starters including a one time Conn Smythe trophy winner.

It seems things could actually get worse between our pipes.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

Our skaters:

Ugh, that's all that needs to be said about this team's ability to score.

Last edited:

BOS77

Jul 17, 2011
Nova Scotia
Ugh, that's all that needs to be said about this team's ability to score.

I think it's more of the system's inability to score then the team in general,i think a few players are grossly underachieving more so due to the system them anything,a coaching change and new system being put in place is long over due.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Is it just me, or is this the quietest and least active this team has been in a LONG time.

In recent years, it seems that we have used the waiver wire, heard Poile talk about adding top 6 forwards, forwards or defensemen were called up from AHL.

This year, the roster has been essentially set minus the comings and going of Filip Forsberg and the injury to Pekka Rinne. Even in that situation, our team choose to ride out the what, 3-4 month absence if not more, of their starting goalie?

I'm baffled, truly baffled.

I guess the results are acceptable?

Or maybe Poile is too busy elsewhere.

And how is THAT acceptable?

There are problems among every aspect of this team except on role players and face off wins.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
3-6-4

In the last 13 games we are 3-6-4. The Predators have lost 10 of their last 13. The only transaction made during that time, Filip Forsberg to the AHL.

Really?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
3-6-4

In the last 13 games we are 3-6-4. The Predators have lost 10 of their last 13. The only transaction made during that time, Filip Forsberg to the AHL.

Really?

If ownership is willing to write this season off there is no point wasting assets to try to to get back to .500. The market for our tradeable assets wont be ripe until after the Olys, and if we havent made some miracle resurgence I think we dump a lot of the dead wood for picks and try to rebuild this summer

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It's funny the talk about faceoffs. When we were poor at faceoffs we were a tough team to play against. Now that we're actually good at faceoffs and should be better because of it, we're actually worse which really makes no sense but it tells me one thing, the faceoff stat is worthless and overrated. For years we were lucky to have one guy that could win over 50%. Now we have a few guys that are very good at but our winning percentage is not acceptable.

Here's my question yet again, you can't score yet you continue to play guys who have a hard time putting the puck in the net. How many f'in grinder types do you need on the ice? Nystrom, Hendricks, Gaustad, Clune and even Spaling to some extent are taking up 5 spots on the ice. Spaling has at least done a nice job of playing on the wing with Legwand and Smith. I don't understand why Spaling is on the PP while Wilson sits on the bench. That baffles me. When you're not able to score, put your more gifted guys together on lines and give them more ice time. Put a grinder line together and let them play 10-12 minutes a night, max. Stalberg is useless to me but if he's playing with the likes of Gaustad and Nystrom, why do we think his results are poor? Cullen playing with Hendricks and Clune? Really? A child could do better at making up lines.

We've all seen the success Smith and Cullen have together on the ice yet they are on the ice on the PP and not much else during the game. With about 6 minutes left tonight they were teamed together for one shift if I remember correctly. Once again, Bourque was sat in favor of Clune. While I love Clune's energy, he is the same type of player that our other grinders are, which leads me back to, how many f'in grinders do you need playing in any one game? By the way, we aren't only offensively challenged but these grinder types were guys that were added to the lineup to add sandpaper and grit and make it hard for the other team to play against. When is that actually going to happen? The other thing about these guys who are supposedly tough, why do you have to raise your hands multiple times after a fight to get the crowd into it? Oh that's right, you all suck at fighting so be a cheerleader instead. Once again, I bring up the Tootoo point. The guy could change the momentum of a game with a big hit or beating the tar out of an opponent in a fight. Even our grinder/fighter types suck at fighting. If we can't beat a team, can we at least beat them up a little bit? Nope, we don't even do that well. While I applaud Nystrom, Hendricks and Gaustad for their efforts in trying to get this team going, they just aren't very good at it. And for all the complaints about Tootoo, at least he was fun to watch, put up some points here and there and won the majority of his fights. People said he got overpaid by Detroit but look at what we're paying Nystrom, Hendricks and Gaustad and tell me he wouldn't have produced offensively and with the same, if not more, toughness than these guys have shown?

This team has no heart. It was like watching a pickup team play an NHL team tonight. Both teams played last night. We were at home so there was no travel yet Minny came in from the road and schooled us at home without their two best offensive players and made it look easy. All their other guys stepped up. Coyle and Heatley ate us alive and I thought Heatley was done. Their 3rd string goalie shut us down yet our backup and effectively fourth string goalie haven't done squat for us, although most, if not all of the goals tonight Maz didn't have a prayer on, yet again.

If Poile is too busy to take care of his job here because of the Olympic team then he either needs to let Fenton take over in his absence or he just needs to let Fenton or someone else come in and take care of the team. Also, Trotz is done. His line combos are a joke. His emphasis on D and detail to the game are outdated and worthless. The new NHL does not work like it did and it's time he changed his game plan but he's unable to adjust to that level. He doesn't do it on a period by period basis and certainly doesn't have the ability to do it over the long haul. 15 years of mediocrity is enough. I really believe we've lost guys from this team because of it's his way or the highway mentality. I don't think it's fun for the players to play in his system. It's not fun for the fans to watch any more too. I honestly don't even know why I waste my time watching this crap anymore. I really don't. I think I watch because it's like waiting for a train wreck, you just want to see what the pile up is going to look like the next time it happens. It's only going to get worse if something doesn't change but no one upstairs has a clue about what's going on on the ice to know better. Idiots. All of them. Me too I guess for continuing to care.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
It's funny the talk about faceoffs. When we were poor at faceoffs we were a tough team to play against. Now that we're actually good at faceoffs and should be better because of it, we're actually worse which really makes no sense but it tells me one thing, the faceoff stat is worthless and overrated. For years we were lucky to have one guy that could win over 50%. Now we have a few guys that are very good at but our winning percentage is not acceptable.

Here's my question yet again, you can't score yet you continue to play guys who have a hard time putting the puck in the net. How many f'in grinder types do you need on the ice? Nystrom, Hendricks, Gaustad, Clune and even Spaling to some extent are taking up 5 spots on the ice. Spaling has at least done a nice job of playing on the wing with Legwand and Smith. I don't understand why Spaling is on the PP while Wilson sits on the bench. That baffles me. When you're not able to score, put your more gifted guys together on lines and give them more ice time. Put a grinder line together and let them play 10-12 minutes a night, max. Stalberg is useless to me but if he's playing with the likes of Gaustad and Nystrom, why do we think his results are poor? Cullen playing with Hendricks and Clune? Really? A child could do better at making up lines.

We've all seen the success Smith and Cullen have together on the ice yet they are on the ice on the PP and not much else during the game. With about 6 minutes left tonight they were teamed together for one shift if I remember correctly. Once again, Bourque was sat in favor of Clune. While I love Clune's energy, he is the same type of player that our other grinders are, which leads me back to, how many f'in grinders do you need playing in any one game? By the way, we aren't only offensively challenged but these grinder types were guys that were added to the lineup to add sandpaper and grit and make it hard for the other team to play against. When is that actually going to happen? The other thing about these guys who are supposedly tough, why do you have to raise your hands multiple times after a fight to get the crowd into it? Oh that's right, you all suck at fighting so be a cheerleader instead. Once again, I bring up the Tootoo point. The guy could change the momentum of a game with a big hit or beating the tar out of an opponent in a fight. Even our grinder/fighter types suck at fighting. If we can't beat a team, can we at least beat them up a little bit? Nope, we don't even do that well. While I applaud Nystrom, Hendricks and Gaustad for their efforts in trying to get this team going, they just aren't very good at it. And for all the complaints about Tootoo, at least he was fun to watch, put up some points here and there and won the majority of his fights. People said he got overpaid by Detroit but look at what we're paying Nystrom, Hendricks and Gaustad and tell me he wouldn't have produced offensively and with the same, if not more, toughness than these guys have shown?

This team has no heart. It was like watching a pickup team play an NHL team tonight. Both teams played last night. We were at home so there was no travel yet Minny came in from the road and schooled us at home without their two best offensive players and made it look easy. All their other guys stepped up. Coyle and Heatley ate us alive and I thought Heatley was done. Their 3rd string goalie shut us down yet our backup and effectively fourth string goalie haven't done squat for us, although most, if not all of the goals tonight Maz didn't have a prayer on, yet again.

If Poile is too busy to take care of his job here because of the Olympic team then he either needs to let Fenton take over in his absence or he just needs to let Fenton or someone else come in and take care of the team. Also, Trotz is done. His line combos are a joke. His emphasis on D and detail to the game are outdated and worthless. The new NHL does not work like it did and it's time he changed his game plan but he's unable to adjust to that level. He doesn't do it on a period by period basis and certainly doesn't have the ability to do it over the long haul. 15 years of mediocrity is enough. I really believe we've lost guys from this team because of it's his way or the highway mentality. I don't think it's fun for the players to play in his system. It's not fun for the fans to watch any more too. I honestly don't even know why I waste my time watching this crap anymore. I really don't. I think I watch because it's like waiting for a train wreck, you just want to see what the pile up is going to look like the next time it happens. It's only going to get worse if something doesn't change but no one upstairs has a clue about what's going on on the ice to know better. Idiots. All of them. Me too I guess for continuing to care.
Most perfect and accurate post I've read. Couldn't agree more.

Bravo

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
If ownership is willing to write this season off there is no point wasting assets to try to to get back to .500. The market for our tradeable assets wont be ripe until after the Olys, and if we havent made some miracle resurgence I think we dump a lot of the dead wood for picks and try to rebuild this summer

I agree. I unfortunately think the season is done.

Maybe it's good Forsberg is in Milwaukee and not experiencing the suckage that is this team........

Maybe after we get rid of some after the Olympics , Beck and Forsberg and Watson or whoever can come up.

Whether it is the team, the team leadership, the coach or the gm, or the horrible systems in place on the ice........we are horrid. The whole team is bad.

THis isn't just a goalie issue.

Something needs to give.

I hear a lot of rumbling from all different kinds of people. I think our season ticket holders are going to drop dramatically for next year.

I've always given Poile and Trotz a lot of leeway. I'm fed up.
And have them take Poiles son with them when they go.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

It's a running joke now for other teams to beat us with the backup goalie this year. Some are do to injury but some are laughably a slap in the face because they are not scared in the least of the Nashville Predators.

I couldn't agree more about the train wreck. That is one of the main reasons I am watching these days.

Sad thing is nothing is going to be done until after the Sochi at the earliest. I doubt anything happens until after the season is over and they sit on their hands for a couple of weeks.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It's a running joke now for other teams to beat us with the backup goalie this year. Some are do to injury but some are laughably a slap in the face because they are not scared in the least of the Nashville Predators.

I couldn't agree more about the train wreck. That is one of the main reasons I am watching these days.

Sad thing is nothing is going to be done until after the Sochi at the earliest. I doubt anything happens until after the season is over and they sit on their hands for a couple of weeks.

I think a few more losses like last night and something is going to happen. Unfortunately, when we get to this point, the team rallies for a few good games and then it's back to the crap again.

sighthndlady

Sep 29, 2006
The only possible positive that might be a result of the better faceoff percentage is our PP: does that fact that we win more faceoffs give us a better shot with the man advantage? It sure as h*** isn't helping at even strength.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I think a few more losses like last night and something is going to happen. Unfortunately, when we get to this point, the team rallies for a few good games and then it's back to the crap again.

I just wonder what would of happened if the Preds would have lost that game at home against Chicago instead of destroying them. Things appeared to be near a breaking point at the time.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
The only possible positive that might be a result of the better faceoff percentage is our PP: does that fact that we win more faceoffs give us a better shot with the man advantage? It sure as h*** isn't helping at even strength.

Winning faceoffs do not really have an effect when you cannot get open, cannot pass, and just flip the puck right back to the other team.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
glenngineer, your comments are extremely spot on. Those of us who have been here from the beginning hang on because of our intense love for Hockey. However, no matter how much you love something there comes a time when enough is enough. This club at one time gave us a little hope, but has now reverted back to mediocrity. The owners of this club must realize by now that Poile and Trotz will never produce a product that Nashville can get excited about. I find it ironic that if you listen to Pete and Terry (which I do more often now that I refuse to go to the games to get disappointed) they are always citing our opponents for the way they use their speed, use their hard work on the boards, use their all men back to defend, use their forechecking, etc. etc, etc. as examples on how to play the game. If you listen to them, every team we play does it right. They are hard pressed to use the Preds as examples. Having the longest tenured coach in the NHL is laughable when you have little to show for it. Just a suggestion, but why interview the coaching staff between periods. All three combined don't add up to one personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad