General Pens Off-Season Whatnot Thread

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Burgs - how is he playing, though? When he's on, he's doing so much away from the puck that helps his teammates. He was sort-of hindered by that foot injury. Would love to hear how he looks.

I wish I could tell you but I wasn't able to watch either game due to work. Just noticed from the Japan game highlights how much bigger he looks against non-NHLers. But I'll keep an eye on him tomorrow against Latvia.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Burgs - how is he playing, though? When he's on, he's doing so much away from the puck that helps his teammates. He was sort-of hindered by that foot injury. Would love to hear how he looks.

Caught most of the 2nd and 3rd vs Austria and he looked like his normal self. Nothing flashy and sound defensively. Played on a PP unit(screen) and PK as well.

Neither Germany or Latvia have really been tested yet so it'll all come down to the final game here tomorrow.
It's @ 15:30 GMT or 10:30 or 11am ET.
Legal stream here: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/tv/

Sometimes it can get wonky but i've been clearing my cookies/cache and starting it back up and it's worked good.
Others may have more in the main board thread:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1964155&page=15

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Kühnhackl hasn't been noticeable yet but he just got his first assist of the tournament on a Draisaitl PP goal. He's playing LW and is a regular on the PP and PK. Great game so far, fast and with tons of forechecking.
Latvia had the better chances but Germany leads 1-0 after the 1st period.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Hello, come in peace and want to congratulate for the Stanley Cup.
Does anyone remember a video where coach michel therien is talking about how soft penguins played, something about Talbot at the end.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Hello, come in peace and want to congratulate for the Stanley Cup.
Does anyone remember a video where coach michel therien is talking about how soft penguins played, something about Talbot at the end.

Check out the 'Our history is being erased (maybe)' thread. Link is here

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Kuhn scores on the PP! Standing at the right post, taking two whacks at the loose puck and pushing it underneath the goalie's pad into the net. :handclap: He originally drew the penalty, too.

DSC01987.jpg

Could be the game-winner, Germany leads 3-2 with 5 mins left.

Last edited:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Germany survives a late Latvian PP to win 3-2, and thus qualifies for the 2018 Olympics. Kühnhackl with the game-winner and an assist, named Germany's Player of the Game. :)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Kühnhackl hasn't been noticeable yet but he just got his first assist of the tournament on a Draisaitl PP goal. He's playing LW and is a regular on the PP and PK. Great game so far, fast and with tons of forechecking.
Latvia had the better chances but Germany leads 1-0 after the 1st period.

Yea, i caught this whole game and most of the Austria game.
I didn't see anything new in terms of an extra gear in speed or anything. Just safe, sound two-way hockey.

One thing is, when Kunitz moves on *puts praying hands together*, they have another PP screen guy to step right in on a PP unit. He scored all his points in these games(friendlies+tourney), i believe, playing that position. Think he ended up with 2 or 3 G's and 2 or 3 assists total in 5 total games. All or most on the PP.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Kuhnhackl spent a lot of time in front of the net on the power play in WBS as well. He worked a lot with Nasreddine, learning how to establish his position and have his stick free for deflections and rebounds. It didn't really start paying dividends until this year though, last year he was mostly just a screen.

What a year for him. Makes it to the NHL after being left for dead, wins a cup and now scores to send Germany to the Olympics.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
How about icing some damn wingers Canada....:laugh:

For a program that is so steadfast in their belief that left-handed defensemen have to play the left side and right-handed defensemen have to play the right side, regardless of how much deeper their pool of righties is, it always makes me chuckle that Canada's forward roster is always 90% centers.

Wish that Marchand wasn't anywhere near Sid, but he had a good enough year so whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad