General Pens Off-Season Whatnot Thread

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I mentioned in another thread that Simon was in town working out at UPMC66.
Was trying to see who the other guys were/are:

14099895_1485296751496421_1915896901_n.jpg

From left to right i know:
Tyler Kennedy
Right handed shooter: Dea? Bengtsson? Archibald? Krause? Ruhwedel? Prow?
Big tall dude with red pants: Christian Hilbrich?
Max Ivanov
Dominik Simon
Canucks gear: No clue.
Tangradi
Christopher Freakin' Kunitz!
Left shooting all black gear: No clue.
Dallas gear: Stephen Johns.

I see Ivanov is also working out local pros: Gibson, Trochek, JT Miller, Saad:
https://www.instagram.com/max_ivanov68/

When I think of Pittsburgh players with a Vancouver connection, I think of Matt Bartkowski, but I really have no idea what he looks like or what kind of gear he uses. I also don't know if he'd be wearing Canucks stuff when he's a free agent.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
When I think of Pittsburgh players with a Vancouver connection, I think of Matt Bartkowski, but I really have no idea what he looks like or what kind of gear he uses. I also don't know if he'd be wearing Canucks stuff when he's a free agent.

Ah yes, could be him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I see Kuhnackl scored in a Friendly tune up a day ago or so before Olympic Qualifying starts this Thursday.

In a 3-2 lose to Belarus, Tom potted one, assisted by Draisaitl and Goc.
They also had a 4-0 win over France earlier. No points in that one for him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Re-watching Game 6 on NHL network right now. I re-watched a few games, too. Our dominant play is so much fun to watch. We are just owning the Sharks. Early in the 3rd, we held the puck basically for the first 5 minutes. It was insane.

Another thing I noticed is how good Murray is at playing the puck and staying cool. While it's typically an adventure w/ #29, Murray is so calm there in net.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Re-watching Game 6 on NHL network right now. I re-watched a few games, too. Our dominant play is so much fun to watch. We are just owning the Sharks. Early in the 3rd, we held the puck basically for the first 5 minutes. It was insane.

Another thing I noticed is how good Murray is at playing the puck and staying cool. While it's typically an adventure w/ #29, Murray is so calm there in net.

He saw 19 pucks...19.

On the game clinching goal shot blocked and Crosby sends Horny for that clincher.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The absolute dominance, man. It's crazy when you have no nerves watching the game. We completely owned control.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I see Kuhnackl scored in a Friendly tune up a day ago or so before Olympic Qualifying starts this Thursday.

In a 3-2 lose to Belarus, Tom potted one, assisted by Draisaitl and Goc.
They also had a 4-0 win over France earlier. No points in that one for him.

Kühnhackl deflected a Draisaitl pass under the crossbar, on the PP. It was his first ever goal for the senior national team. Only 130 to go until he catches his dad. ;)

Our team at this tournament is - on paper - the best we've had in years, featuring nearly every big name available. Draisaitl, Rieder, Kühnhackl and Goc (C) at forward. Seidenberg, Ehrhoff (A) and Holzer on defense, and Grubauer in goal. The only one to refuse the call was Greiss. Germany should easily beat Japan tomorrow but Austria (with Grabner and Raffl) and Latvia (home advantage) will be real battles.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

All of the games are on YouTube commercial free as well

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's where i've been watching games. Pop it up on one monitor, work on the other.

The one thing that I noticed watching the games again without the pressure of the playoffs, was that the Pens send the puck to an area, often banking it off the wall to get it out of the defensive zone, and let the player that they are 'passing' to out speed, out work, or both the opposing player. Much like a NFL QB puts the ball up to an area and trusts his guy to come down with it. That is their bread and butter.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Kühnhackl deflected a Draisaitl pass under the crossbar, on the PP. It was his first ever goal for the senior national team. Only 130 to go until he catches his dad. ;)

Our team at this tournament is - on paper - the best we've had in years, featuring nearly every big name available. Draisaitl, Rieder, Kühnhackl and Goc (C) at forward. Seidenberg, Ehrhoff (A) and Holzer on defense, and Grubauer in goal. The only one to refuse the call was Greiss. Germany should easily beat Japan tomorrow but Austria (with Grabner and Raffl) and Latvia (home advantage) will be real battles.

Yea, i've been reading around about who's playing and i hope i get to watch some streams starting today. We shall see.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands

Burgs, I think you might know this: is the Wolf guy on the team related to Manfred Wolf?

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009

Wow, that clip is ... inspirational!

It is so easy to knock professional players in virtually any sport. I will remind myself of especially what this team accomplished and try my best to be accordingly respectful. :handclap:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Kuhn picked up a PP goal in a 5-0 win over Japan.
Just caught the highlights on the stream a little while ago.
Looks like he's playing the G screening role on one of their PP units.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
watching the dumo vid just reaffirms for me..

hockey is just the best sport, i play/played, my kids are playing.
Generally the hockey community is just 100x better then any other sport.
and generally most hockey people are just good folks.

The other sports i've been in/kids have been in there are good people to be found but it's just no where near the same level.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I come bearing a gift from the main board.

Legal streams for the Olympic Qualifying tournies:

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/tv/

Denmark is down 1-2 vs Belarus nearing the end of 2 periods.
Lots of good players in this.
Denmark has Hansen, Ehlers, Boedker, Nielson, Bjorkstrand, Frederik Andersen etc.

Germany/Kuhn play Austria tomorrow and Latvia Sunday.

Heres the three groups with rosters:
http://www.iihf.com/

Each group plays a round robin and the best team(via tie breakers if needed) advances to the Olympics.

Last edited:

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I need some help with a parking question. I am a new season ticket holder, and will be coming in on I-579. I live in Smethport, PA and have a long, long drive home. Getting out quickly and getting on I-79 is a big deal for me. Any ideas as to parking lots which avoid traffic? Thanks for your help.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Cool, I trained under him for parts of two seasons

Heh. I once watched Mannix punch out an angry fan (of his own team) who tried grabbing him. Watched David Wolf play as a teenager, too. Much to my surprise he made it to the NHL, even if only for 4 games.

Kuhn picked up a PP goal in a 5-0 win over Japan.
Just caught the highlights on the stream a little while ago.
Looks like he's playing the G screening role on one of their PP units.

Germany simply overran Japan. The shots were 51-13 and that's with us taking the foot off the gas after going up 5-0 in 28 minutes. Kühnhackl played on a line with Felix Schütz (former Sabres prospect, currently in the SEL) and Patrick Hager. He was screening the goalie on the PP, cleaning up a rebound to make it 4-0.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Germany destroyed Austria today, 6-0. Kühnhackl was held pointless, though. Sunday will be the deciding game against hosts Latvia. Winner gets a berth in the 2018 Olympics.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Burgs - how is he playing, though? When he's on, he's doing so much away from the puck that helps his teammates. He was sort-of hindered by that foot injury. Would love to hear how he looks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad