General Pens Off-Season Whatnot Thread

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
For stuff that's not OT, or cap related, or injury related, doesn't belong in the Around the NHL thread etc. but relates directly to the Pens and doesn't really fit anywhere else. If one already exists and I just missed it, it would be great if one of the mods could merge it.

Sid is getting a street named after him in Halifax.

Also a gritty jabroni is hurt so Phil might get invited to the World Cup after all.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Expecting that Lombardi/Torts would prefer to put Tyler Johnson out on the wing before they'd pick Kessel. I actually hope that's what happens. There's very little good that can come from having a bunch of Penguins in this tournament.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Not to make the thread sad and depressing but someone mentioned that Daley's mom passed away :(

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Expecting that Lombardi/Torts would prefer to put Tyler Johnson out on the wing before they'd pick Kessel. I actually hope that's what happens. There's very little good that can come from having a bunch of Penguins in this tournament.

I hope they invite him and he turns them down.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The people in charge of the U.S.A team want to be "hard to play against". They wont be inviting kessel. Any middle-6 player that hits and scores decently will be picked over Kessel.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Good, hope the world cup goes up in flames and they abandon it. And no way in HELL will the European players not play in the Olympics if pros are alowed. Just ain't gonna happen.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Honestly, I don't want any Penguins playing in that tournament after a long Cup run. It's a 100% meaningless tournament. Nobody gives a ****, including many hockey fans.

The Olympics is a much bigger deal. Our players need rest and need to minimize chances of injury. Playing in this stupid tournament seems like not a great idea for a team that will be preparing to defend a title.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Honestly, I don't want any Penguins playing in that tournament after a long Cup run. It's a 100% meaningless tournament. Nobody gives a ****, including many hockey fans.

The Olympics is a much bigger deal. Our players need rest and need to minimize chances of injury. Playing in this stupid tournament seems like not a great idea for a team that will be preparing to defend a title.
Totally agreed. The Olympics are worth the injury risk because it's THE global sports tournament, period. There's nothing else like it.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I hope Phil tell them its too late now. Hes already booked a flight to some small town in Germany to attend the annual hot-dog eating contest. He will also be living with the Kuhnhackls and dont wanna cancel now.

Last edited:

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I'd like to know when Kessel gets it so I can plan a trip to Toronto around it. I was going to go to the hockey hall of fame this summer but then I realized that there will be no cup because that bum Penguins team will have it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I hope Phil tell them its too late now. Hes already booked a flight to some small town in Germany to attend the annual hot-dog eating contest. He will also be living with the Kuhnhackls and dont wanna cancel now.

Yeah, I'm rooting for Torts to fail in the most hilarious way possible.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Totally agreed. The Olympics are worth the injury risk because it's THE global sports tournament, period. There's nothing else like it.

The IIHF World Championships are like that for Euros as well, almost more so than the Olympics. Cue the mini-Maddens, but really, it is a HUGE deal here. Like people take off work to watch their countries compete. :laugh:

But honestly, if you want to keep attracting the best Euros, you need to keep that option in, regardless.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Damn right.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I need to know when Letang, Flower and Dupuis will have their day with the Cup. I need to go see it :)

If anyone has that info eventually, please share

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Not to make the thread sad and depressing but someone mentioned that Daley's mom passed away :(

Wow that is really sad to hear :(
At least she got to see him lift the Cup, I think she couldnt wish for anything better and couldn't be more proud of her son. I think it's a good feeling for Daley that they could share this moment together.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Kane will win the Hart, sending me into a rage spiral. I think JR wins GM of the Year though and Dupuis has a good shot at the Masterton.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'm hope team USA calls Phil and he tells them "Nah guy, I'm going fishing. Only have to go to Toronto this summer to show off the Cup, right?"

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I'd like to know when Kessel gets it so I can plan a trip to Toronto around it. I was going to go to the hockey hall of fame this summer but then I realized that there will be no cup because that bum Penguins team will have it.

It'll be at the HHOF, if you go this summer. There are three Stanley Cups. The one you'll see at the HHOF is the "display" Stanley Cup. The one that they tour around and haul out onto the ice when a team wins it, is the "presentation" Stanley Cup. The display version is a replica of the presentation version. The "original" Stanley Cup is ancient (brittle and too fragile) and is in a vault at the HHOF, along with the retired engraved bands, if I'm not mistaken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad