General Pens Off-Season Whatnot Thread

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Claude Giroux playfully punched Sidney Crosby on the shoulder between drills Tuesday, producing a smile from the Team Canada captain.

Go around Team Canada's dressing room and you'll find a long list of personal rivalries that have been put on hold for the World Cup of Hockey.

Or you might say, the hatred has been temporarily shelved for a month.

"It's pretty easy," Crosby said Tuesday after Day 2 of camp. "That's just the nature of competing and playing against one another. As soon as you put on that jersey, you're on the same team and you're all trying to accomplish the same thing. It's pretty easy. We played world championships last year and had a great experience there. He's a great player so, yeah, it's fun to play with him."

Some events are rather fresh. It was just over two months ago in the Stanley Cup finals between the San Jose Sharks and Pittsburgh Penguins that Logan Couture called Crosby a cheater on faceoffs.

They've buried that hatchet on that one already.

"He said, 'No hard feelings.' He understood what we were fighting for, we were down 2-0" in the series, Couture said, smiling, on Tuesday.

Crosby and Giroux, despite having the same agent, Pat Brisson of CAA Sports, never really crossed paths off the ice before finally playing together at the 2015 world championships, winning gold in Prague. They got to know each other there and there's a clear sense of respect and admiration there.

"We enjoy the challenge of playing against each other but we also enjoying paying together, too," Giroux said in French on Tuesday.

"[Before playing at the worlds], we only knew each other on the ice, and didn't like each other too much," Giroux added with a chuckle. "But it made those games fun when you have a rivalry like that with a player. Obviously, off the ice he's a great guy."

As Crosby noted, he loves the fact that rugby players will share a beer after an intense match. Team Canada's players have had a few bonding nights here together in Ottawa, putting aside those NHL battles for love of country.

"Once you're here, you're all buddies, and then once the month's done, you're enemies again," Thornton said, laughing. "It's kind of funny."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...anada-players-putting-aside-nhl-rivalries-now

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Theres actually hockey on tomorrow boys and girls!
Full exhibition sched:

Thursday, September 8
Team Czech Republic vs. Team Russia - Yubileyny Sports Palace, St. Petersburg
12:30 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Team Sweden vs. Team Finland - Hartwall Arena; Helsinki
Noon ET/7 p.m. local - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Team Europe vs. Team North America - Videotron Centre; Quebec City
8 p.m. ET - ESPN2, SN, TVA Sports

Friday, September 9
Team Canada vs. Team USA - Nationwide Arena; Columbus
7 p.m. ET - ESPNU, SN, TVA Sports

Saturday, September 10
Team Finland vs. Team Sweden - Scandinavium; Gothenburg
Noon ET/6 p.m. local - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Team Russia vs. Team Czech Republic - O2 Arena; Prague
10:30 a.m. ET/4:30 p.m. local - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Team USA vs. Team Canada - Canadian Tire Centre; Ottawa
7 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Sunday, September 11
Team Europe vs. Team North America - Bell Centre; Montreal
6 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Tuesday, September 13
Team Finland vs. Team USA - Verizon Center; Washington, DC
7 p.m. ET - ESPN, SN, TVA Sports

Wednesday, September 14
Team Czech Republic vs. Team North America - CONSOL Energy Center; Pittsburgh
3:30 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Team Canada vs. Team Russia - CONSOL Energy Center, Pittsburgh
7:30 p.m. ET - ESPN2, SN, TVA Sports

Team Sweden vs. Team Europe - Verizon Center; Washington, DC
7 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports 2

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Looks like the player ticket deliveries are happening today.

Really odd that they have the players do this about a week after everyone else got theirs.

But this is one of the nicest things that the organization does to reward the fans. Especially if you have kids, they will remember it for all their lives.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Really odd that they have the players do this about a week after everyone else got theirs.

But this is one of the nicest things that the organization does to reward the fans. Especially if you have kids, they will remember it for all their lives.

It's funny reading comments on Twitter and Facebook of people complaining that no one delivered theirs or worse, they don't have season tix but feel they should meet players because they're real fans.

There's some guy on Twitter making a huge ass of himself wondering why his friend has never had a player come.

I understand there's billions of people in the world but sometimes I wonder how some of them can be so dumb

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Didn't know where to put this so I have it here and in the roster building thread too...

[Tweet]779019775057854464[/MEDIA]

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Didn't know where to put this so I have it here and in the roster building thread too...

[Tweet]779019775057854464[/MEDIA]

I wish I could remember where I saw the picture of him from one of the informal skates. You could physically see the difference in him - all of the chubbiness was gone from his cheeks. Not that I'm saying he was ever out of shape to begin with, but he's obviously been working really hard with Gary Roberts because for there to be such a noticeable transformation in three months is pretty impressive.

Hockeydude002

Sep 7, 2016
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Im not sure he still isnt trade prop anymore? I still think JR will try and deal him for a 4-5th round draft pic in 2017. Just a hunch nothing more or nothing less. Last year of his contract and now he is serious about his profession, working out, nutrition etc...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Im not sure he still isnt trade prop anymore? I still think JR will try and deal him for a 4-5th round draft pic in 2017. Just a hunch nothing more or nothing less.

Yeah, that sounds like a fantastic trade. After "paper mache ligaments" Bennett brought back a 3rd round pick, the Pens would trade a former top-10 pick for a 4th or 5th round pick. Sounds like a solid deal.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, that sounds like a fantastic trade. After "paper mache ligaments" Bennett brought back a 3rd round pick, the Pens would trade a former top-10 pick for a 4th or 5th round pick. Sounds like a solid deal.

I think that was a joke. Or at least I hope it was. That can't be a serious idea, can it?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Agreed. We're looking at DP as being disappointing through the prism of the 8th overall pick, but that doesn't mean he's only worth a 4th round pick in a trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Agreed. We're looking at DP as being disappointing through the prism of the 8th overall pick, but that doesn't mean he's only worth a 4th round pick in a trade.

He's been disappointing so far, but he's apparently in great shape right now and has looked phenomenal to anyone who has seen him play recently. I'm hopeful that he takes the next step, it would be really nice to not have to sign a top-4 defensemen once Daley's contract expires.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
He's been disappointing so far, but he's apparently in great shape right now and has looked phenomenal to anyone who has seen him play recently. I'm hopeful that he takes the next step, it would be really nice to not have to sign a top-4 defensemen once Daley's contract expires.

Yeah, that'd be nice to be able to gently transition from Daley to Pouliot. It's good to hear he's in great shape, let's hope he makes similar progress on the ice.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
not sure where to put this, this seemed appropriate.

Is the team still for sale? I mean there hasn't been even a murmur on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad