OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I wonder if they'll just give you new hub(s) instead of having to bother with the bearing replacement? I know you're not the one footing the bill, but when labor is added in the price is about the same. Make sure they check your alignment and CV axle also.

The wife almost killed my Durango by blowing out a wheel bearing not too long ago. Ended up needing a new hub, CV, and messed up one of the tie rod/ball joints. She totally FUBARed it though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I wonder if they'll just give you new hub(s) instead of having to bother with the bearing replacement? I know you're not the one footing the bill, but when labor is added in the price is about the same. Make sure they check your alignment and CV axle also.

The wife almost killed my Durango by blowing out a wheel bearing not too long ago. Ended up needing a new hub, CV, and messed up one of the tie rod/ball joints. She totally FUBARed it though.
This is really early in the failure. Like I said, it really only started showing symptoms just a couple days ago. "Usually" you're good a lot longer than I'll be dealing with to get this fixed... but you just never know.

I've gone through wheel bearings a few other times on other vehicles, and each time it was just a bearing swap... although one of the times, the ABS sensors got damaged and needed replacing as well.

Also, alignment and collateral damage is a pretty standard check for these things. If they don't go over what they checked when the work is complete, I always ask and get confirmation the checks were done.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This is really early in the failure. Like I said, it really only started showing symptoms just a couple days ago. "Usually" you're good a lot longer than I'll be dealing with to get this fixed... but you just never know.

I've gone through wheel bearings a few other times on other vehicles, and each time it was just a bearing swap... although one of the times, the ABS sensors got damaged and needing replacing as well.

Also, alignment and collateral damage is a pretty standard check for these things. If they don't go over what they checked when the work is complete, I always ask and get confirmation the checks were done.

It depends on the shop doing the work, and who they are dealing with, I guess. I've seen some of the results of warranty work where they didn't check or ignored secondary damage, or didn't use new OEM parts.

ABS is a pita on the late 90's-early 00's Dodge models I have.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It depends on the shop doing the work, and who they are dealing with, I guess. I've seen some of the results of warranty work where they didn't check or ignored secondary damage, or didn't use new OEM parts.

ABS is a pita on the late 90's-early 00's Dodge models I have.
So far nothing but great experience with Audi Minneapolis. Luther Hyundai (for the Tiburon I used to have) and Apple Valley Ford (for the Shelby - they have techs specially trained for SVT vehicles) have always done well for me as well.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So far nothing but great experience with Audi Minneapolis. Luther Hyundai (for the Tiburon I used to have) and Apple Valley Ford (for the Shelby - they have techs specially trained for SVT vehicles) have always done well for me as well.

It was bad in Hampton Roads when I was stationed down there. So many young/dumb sailors with money in their pockets and no car knowledge out side of:
-Turn the key and the car starts
-D for forward, R for backing up, P is so you can take the keys out of the ignition.
-Pedal on the left is stop, pedal on the right is go.
-You'd even get those that didn't know how to put gas in their cars (mostly from NJ and OR).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It was bad in Hampton Roads when I was stationed down there. So many young/dumb sailors with money in their pockets and no car knowledge out side of:
-Turn the key and the car starts
-D for forward, R for backing up, P is so you can take the keys out of the ignition.
-Pedal on the left is stop, pedal on the right is go.
-You'd even get those that didn't know how to put gas in their cars (mostly from NJ and OR).
Ugh... auto transmission. I haven't had one of those since '97 and don't ever want one again.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
So my mom had to take her Legacy in to fix her touchscreen dashboard. It was at least 2x the price of a non foreign car company even though they all use the same chips. It's kind of patronizing that when I take my WRX in for any kind of service they give me a free car wash and fill my tank.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So my mom had to take her Legacy in to fix her touchscreen dashboard. It was at least 2x the price of a non foreign car company even though they all use the same chips. It's kind of patronizing that when I take my WRX in for any kind of service they give me a free car wash and fill my tank.
I can tell you for a fact that they aren't all the same chips. I work for a company that makes controllers for touch screens, but we do not supply all automotive companies. We supply a few different ones though (Ford, VW/Audi, Fiat/Chrysler being amongst them), but there is a TON of competition in the touch screen chip market.

Then it all depends on the device board maker on top of that as well, on top of the software that it's designed to run.

The real issue is that Subaru uses exclusively foreign manufacturers and software designers for their chip sets, supporting their own industry in Japan.

Last edited:

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I can tell you for a fact that they aren't all the same chips. I work for a company that makes controllers for touch screens, but we do not supply all automotive companies. We supply a few different ones though (Ford, VW/Audi, Fiat/Chrysler being amongst them), but there is a TON of competition in the touch screen chip market.

Then it all depends on the device board maker on top of that as well, on top of the software that it's designed to run.

The real issue is that Subaru uses exclusively foreign manufacturers and software designers for their chip sets, supporting their own industry in Japan.
It's literally the same console that is in my Colorado down to options and all. I would expect for luxury brands like Mercedes and BMW to have their own line of stuff, but almost every vehicle I've been in has the same setup.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
You'd even get those that didn't know how to put gas in their cars (mostly from NJ and OR).

As someone who has lived most of their adult life in Texas, I was shocked when I learned that it's not the norm across all 50 States to pump your own gas. I thought it was hilarious how Oregonians were reacting to that bill that passed meaning you had to pump your own gas in some parts and how mad they were about it. Like seriously?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
As someone who has lived most of their adult life in Texas, I was shocked when I learned that it's not the norm across all 50 States to pump your own gas. I thought it was hilarious how Oregonians were reacting to that bill that passed meaning you had to pump your own gas in some parts and how mad they were about it. Like seriously?
Huh, had no idea that was even a thing. Not pumping your own that is.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Huh, had no idea that was even a thing. Not pumping your own that is.

In NJ (and OR until this year) it's against the law to pump your own gas. Gas station attendants have to come to your car and do it for you.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I forgot to update my found dog story from last week on here.
-So we found the dog on the 6th (Wednesday). Sunday evening (the 10th) we get a call from someone saying it might be their neighbor's dog; that runs off quite often.
-20 mins later we get a call from a lady yelling at us in broken English and (I guess) Cambodian that we stole her dog.
-We bring the dog to their house; which was about 2 miles from where we found it, in the not nice part of town. Don't get me wrong it's still much nicer than some of the places I've lived. It's not the south central LA from the 80s or anything like that; just the low income/property value area.
-It's their dog, so we give them the leash.
-The wife tells them about basic dog care: get the dog chipped (or at least some tags with their phone number), cut it's hair, get it neutered (so he'd be less likely to run off), take it to the vet for his shots, etc. The dog's owners were pleasant, and (I hope) just ignorant about these things. The getting him fixed was something they've never heard of and asked if that was a real thing for instance.
-Say goodbye, go to leave, and the dog starts following us back to the truck. I pet him and send him back to his owners as the girls walk to the truck.
-The kid is upset; which I get; she thought we had a new dog. She's has already planned on how to stake out the house (she watches way too many cop shows) for when the dog runs off again.
-The wife is pissed. I just don't know if the stabity side or the blow things up side is winning (she's 50% Italian and 40% Irish).
-I'm annoyed because "take care of the animals first" has been ingrained into me, and the dog wasn't being taken care of.
-The car ride home I (try to) explain to the kid that she should feel good that she did the "right" thing. The dog is back home with it's owners. And even if we don't like how it's being taken care of it's their dog and we can't just decide they shouldn't have the dog. It's didn't show signs of abuse or any cruelty, just not being well taken care of. It all totally fell on the deaf ears of a pre-teen who's not getting their way.
-Stopped for icecream on the way home, but even icecream didn't fix this.

No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well trying to find an inexpensive overnight summer camp for the kid is harder than I thought it would be. Anyone know of any good ones?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So the town where my Mom grew up had catastrophic flooding. Houghton Michigan is devastated. Michigan Tech has even shutdown for the time being...

A state of emergency has been declared and the national guard is getting called in for cleanup and repair.

Copper Country Flood Relief

Last edited:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I think we got relatively lucky by comparison. I was up in Cambridge, MN when those rains came through and saw on the weather channel what was happening in UP Michigan. We got some heavy rains for a while but nothing like that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Getting anywhere in Houghton is really tough right now. Main roads are open, but down to a single lane in many areas. Side streets are completely impassable in many locations.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
So the town where my Mom grew up had catastrophic flooding. Houghton Michigan is devastated. Michigan Tech has even shutdown for the time being...

A state of emergency has been declared and the national guard is getting called in for cleanup and repair.

Copper Country Flood Relief

My mother-in-law is from there, so I used to get up there a bunch. And while it's not surprising to see a Taco Bell destroyed by gushing brown water, I never suspected that was a place where flooding was likely. That's some crazy stuff.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
My mother-in-law is from there, so I used to get up there a bunch. And while it's not surprising to see a Taco Bell destroyed by gushing brown water, I never suspected that was a place where flooding was likely. That's some crazy stuff.
I know what you mean. The elevation there has you thinking, ok, no where for what'water to pool, no way it can flood.

Problem is, water still needs to get through storm drains and culverts. If there is more water than those systems can handle, the water backs up and goes over and starts to cause erosion and thus sinkhole formation, road collapse etc. which is what happened there in the extreme!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad