OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The fact that this seemingly keeps happening makes me worry that it will/is turning into a self feeding cycle.

Person pulled over worries if police will shoot them due to all the shooting and acts nervous.
Police officer approaching worries does this person want to shoot me because of all the police shootings and is nervous.

Tough to break that cycle.
What Is happening in the Castillo, Damond, Floyd, and Wright case is that they are getting killed without any armed resistance, and little to no physical resistance. It's pretty easy for the cycle to be broken. Stop killing unarmed or unresisting( Castillo was legally carrying, but told the cop that, and did not draw) people.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
The common refrain in all of these cases are officers are fearful. It’s driving reckless, at best, decisions and more logically negligent and criminal actions.

A lot of that could be changed if people cared to give a shit about other people that don’t look like or believe in the same things that they and most of their close family and friends do. Instead, people continue to want to become further isolated and care only of their interests.

Combine that with police forces that are significantly under trained and vetted while also being unjustifiably over funded and armed and its pretty damn easy to see why we are where we are as a country.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I had to go on a road trip for a funeral the past couple days... very truncated event considering the pandemic and all. At least I got to pull one positive thing from such a downer of a situation... the funeral was in St. Ignace MI, located in the upper peninsula... so I decided to stay in nearby Mackinaw City MI, located just across the Mackinac bridge. I had never driven across it before, and only saw it once when I was a kid on a very foggy day, could only even see a single pier that day.

Now I've driven over that monster twice! I must say, driving over such a large bridge so high over very deep waters of lake Michigan... with a side rail lower than the doors on my car... and the road, although 4 lanes, with 2 in each direction, feels pretty narrow, with only a little 4 inch tall median separating each direction's pair of lanes from each other...

I would be absolutely terrified of that bridge on a windy day!

20210416_094221-jpg.423442

5 miles long, center span is 200ft above the water, which is 252 feet deep... and yes, at least 1 car has been blown off the bridge before... in 1989... took 8 days for divers to locate the mangled vehicle, which had sunk to a depth of 152ft (obviously wasn't at the center span, but not much good that does anyone since most of the bridge is still very high over very deep water).

I love driving, so I loved going over the bridge, but at the same time, I'm afraid of heights, so it was still quite a tense experience...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I had to go on a road trip for a funeral the past couple days... very truncated event considering the pandemic and all. At least I got to pull one positive thing from such a downer of a situation... the funeral was in St. Ignace MI, located in the upper peninsula... so I decided to stay in nearby Mackinaw City MI, located just across the Mackinac bridge. I had never driven across it before, and only saw it once when I was a kid on a very foggy day, could only even see a single pier that day.

Now I've driven over that monster twice! I must say, driving over such a large bridge so high over very deep waters of lake Michigan... with a side rail lower than the doors on my car... and the road, although 4 lanes, with 2 in each direction, feels pretty narrow, with only a little 4 inch tall median separating each direction's pair of lanes from each other...

I would be absolutely terrified of that bridge on a windy day!

20210416_094221-jpg.423442

5 miles long, center span is 200ft above the water, which is 252 feet deep... and yes, at least 1 car has been blown off the bridge before... in 1989... took 8 days for divers to locate the mangled vehicle, which had sunk to a depth of 152ft (obviously wasn't at the center span, but not much good that does anyone since most of the bridge is still very high over very deep water).

I love driving, so I loved going over the bridge, but at the same time, I'm afraid of heights, so it was still quite a tense experience...
What's the worst is driving on a bridge like that on a windy day, and finding that you are surrounded by tractor trailers. They have next to no control of the vehicles in the wind, depending on the load, i guess. I've seen them almost completely change lanes when there is a big gust.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What's the worst is driving on a bridge like that on a windy day, and finding that you are surrounded by tractor trailers. They have next to no control of the vehicles in the wind, depending on the load, i guess. I've seen them almost completely change lanes when there is a big gust.
They do have a windy condition speed limit of only 25 mph, which makes sense... but at the same time... that will prolong the trip across the bridge as well, so though it is safer I'm sure, it has to be hell on the nerves...

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Being extremely selfish and whiny here, but can it please be nice out for more than one day per week? I want to be out golfing more :cry:

Reactions: Wild11MN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
agreed, but for different reasons. Would be nice to watch my son's HS BB game without wearing a parka.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Tonight is the first game for the Loons after the Bally switch.

They have an ad displayed over the clock 100% of the time, its terrible.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota

You can now add picture in picture advertisements to the list.

They are doing everything they can to get more ads into the soccer broadcast.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020

They could just use to cover up Gasper and/or Finley and it would be marketed improvement in watching the team.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Mortal Combat was everything I needed in a Mortal Combat movie.

Nobody also one of the better movies I’ve seen in a while.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Mortal Combat was everything I needed in a Mortal Combat movie.

Nobody also one of the better movies I’ve seen in a while.

Didn't know they remade this, just watched it. Takes it self way to serious but when it has fun it's a lot of fun, specifaly the fatalities, just gross. Would be a blast to watch this movie with an audience.

Have found memories of the original, terrible movie but the Highlander was Raiden and the soundtrack kicked ass.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Finally home from work...

I didn't get out until just before 2am, had some stuff that kept me late. Decided to get gas on the way home... while at the gas station, a lady pulls in... completely drunk and completely scared.

She asked me how far she was from Oakdale MN (NOT close!). After letting her know, I asked if she had anyone she could call to pick her up, she didn't have anyone... so I offered to give her a ride home.

She apparently had met up with an old boy friend she hadn't seen in years and as she got more drunk, he started getting more "creepy" and it got to the point where she was apparently scared for her life of him, which is why she bailed in such condition, but she also knew she was in no shape to drive.

I happened to be wearing a Metallica shirt, and that being her favorite band, she decided to ask me for help.

I drove her home and made sure she had the address for the gas station she parked her car at. She said she'll have no problem getting a ride back to pick it up later.

I'm just glad I was able to help her out.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

I didn't get out until just before 2am, had some stuff that kept me late. Decided to get gas on the way home... while at the gas station, a lady pulls in... completely drunk and completely scared.

She asked me how far she was from Oakdale MN (NOT close!). After letting her know, I asked if she had anyone she could call to pick her up, she didn't have anyone... so I offered to give her a ride home.

She apparently had met up with an old boy friend she hadn't seen in years and as she got more drunk, he started getting more "creepy" and it got to the point where she was apparently scared for her life of him, which is why she bailed in such condition, but she also knew she was in no shape to drive.

I happened to be wearing a Metallica shirt, and that being her favorite band, she decided to ask me for help.

I drove her home and made sure she had the address for the gas station she parked her car at. She said she'll have no problem getting a ride back to pick it up later.

Good on you my friend. You easily saved her life, and probably someone else's that night.

Reactions: TaLoN

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

not all super heroes wear capes

Reactions: BigT2002 and TaLoN

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Bally sports app:
Doesn’t let you restart live games
Doesn’t have replays until a day or so later
Puts the result right on the replay page
Starts with the postgame presser

It is made out of a bunch middle fingers that instead of having fingernails, have peeholes. What a shit app.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Anyone ever have gastroenteritis before?

Man, I wouldn't wish this shit on my worst enemy.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Glad that we are getting some actual spring weather the last week or so. Continuing my goal to keep getting out on the golf course as much as possible...was out last Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Crazy how you can tell how little rain we've had by being on the courses though...ground is so hard. I'm guessing they've had to water a lot more than they typically would.

Golf and playoff hockey, that's why April/May is typically my favorite time of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad