OT: General OT Thread #43 - Fugu Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, we have had unusually hot weather, and no rain to speak of for at least a week if not more, yet my local creek's water level has gotten higher, not lower. Can't figure it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So, we have had unusually hot weather, and no rain to speak of for at least a week if not more, yet my local creek's water level has gotten higher, not lower. Can't figure it.
High water table, decent amount of snowmelt up north to drain south through the spring.

It's the kind of start you want to see in summer... no drought condition yet not much rain in the forecast either. Best of both worlds right now. Enjoy it!

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
3a728d9f618660d4d25eccadd6c870f2.png

Gee, thanks HF for reminding me. I knew it's been a while, but damn.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Moving tomorrow and in my new place I needed to switch to spectrum. I thought comcast was awful but Spectrum takes the cake. They called me to give me free spectrum TV for 12 days in addition to my internet I have. I told them I don't want TV since I'm a cord cutter and don't need to pay 20 bucks(which increases after the first month). They wouldn't take no as an answer and told me I needed to cancel the tv on my account instead of just not giving it to me. Don't get me wrong it is 5 mins of an inconvenience but if a customer says no thanks to your service, don't give it to them.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone else getting sick of this air quality? I can't ever remember it being this bad. Feel like I'm living in Mordor.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Anyone else getting sick of this air quality? I can't ever remember it being this bad. Feel like I'm living in Mordor.
Oh please. Mordor’s air is much better.

Half of North America is on fire but don’t worry everything is fine. We just need to drill for more oil.

edit: news says the smoke will be here until Tuesday. With it coming and going for a month

Reactions: 57special

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

I'm not going to lie... This is one of my all time favorite book series. I was a little worried with some of the casting choices and other things that it was not going to do the books justice. However, this looks fantastic and I cannot wait for it.

For those that aren't nerds or just haven't heard of it, The Wheel of Time is an epic high fantasy series along the same line as Game of Thrones, although not as dark. If you've got the time to read 14 massive books I highly recommend them!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Unbelievable hard to hear this news when I woke up. I had friends in the bar at the time and have been there dozens of times. My friends are okay thankfully. I used to live right near there, too.
Good news is, 3 suspects have been identified and arrested. They were at the hospital for treatment from the incident when arrested.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can anyone recommend a portable car battery charger. I want to get something for my wife to use rather than have to depend on a stranger and cables.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
What’s the best way to listen to Wild games on the radio through your phone for a out of market fan? Couple of years ago I knew the iheartradio app had KFAN.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What’s the best way to listen to Wild games on the radio through your phone for a out of market fan? Couple of years ago I knew the iheartradio app had KFAN.

On the NHL.com gamecenter there is a listen clicky and it lets you pick the feed.

For the preseason games I used the KFAN iheartradio thing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Can anyone recommend a portable car battery charger. I want to get something for my wife to use rather than have to depend on a stranger and cables.

There isn't a lot of difference between the portable battery chargers other than amperage. As long as they are checked/charged periodically to keep them full and they have the inherent crank amps needed for the vehicle a Fleet Farm or Harbor Freight store brand will be fine.

I have one of the big DeWalt ones with the bells and whistles. Jump start, tire pump, some USB charging docks, and a couple of 120AC outlets, but I have a need for those things periodically.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
There isn't a lot of difference between the portable battery chargers other than amperage. As long as they are checked/charged periodically to keep them full and they have the inherent crank amps needed for the vehicle a Fleet Farm or Harbor Freight store brand will be fine.

I have one of the big DeWalt ones with the bells and whistles. Jump start, tire pump, some USB charging docks, and a couple of 120AC outlets, but I have a need for those things periodically.
I bought one of the Menards house brand things and returned it. The clamps didn't stay on the thin blade of the terminal like my old cables did, and in any event, the battery was so dead that the portable jumper didn't work, only a jump start from another car. It was more for my wife than anything else.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I bought one of the Menards house brand things and returned it. The clamps didn't stay on the thin blade of the terminal like my old cables did, and in any event, the battery was so dead that the portable jumper didn't work, only a jump start from another car. It was more for my wife than anything else.

If the battery is dead then a car jump or plug in charger are all you can do. I have a base store brand jump kit I put in the kid's car, so if she didn't completely kill the battery she has a chance of not being stuck.

AAA is the must have for us, our insurance has mostly the same things, but AAA is usually faster. When it's -10 I'm more concerned about the least amount of time freezing my butt off.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Several options, at work I'll just go to the KFAN website and click "listen live". I've found it more reliable than game center on the NHL page.

Reactions: Hall of Faber

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I bought a new rifle today: 350 Legend. It's more of a Jr. rifle, but the wife and kid are short so it's more comfortable for them to hold. The big selling point was I can find ammo for it.

I wanted a .243, but there is no ammo (for much of anything) anywhere around me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I bought a new rifle today: 350 Legend. It's more of a Jr. rifle, but the wife and kid are short so it's more comfortable for them to hold. The big selling point was I can find ammo for it.

I wanted a .243, but there is no ammo (for much of anything) anywhere around me.
Ruger American?

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Anything you ever want as far as tools, utility, etc. this guy has probably done a really good comprehensive video about. His channel is weirdly addictive. The videos are no bullshit, test and give you the results. And he won't do sponsored videos. He buys everything he tests with his own money. I've wasted a couple afternoons down that rabbit hole of his channel.

I ended up going with the GooLoo one in the video. The company I work for doesn't appear real interested in changing out the batteries in our vans, so they die regularly if we've got our blinkers on and the laptops charging. So, I got one of these. Have used it twice so far. Works incredibly well. I was impressed enough, I picked up one to keep in my personal truck also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ruger American?

Savage Arms. I've never owned this brand before, so everything about this rifle is new to me. 5 round mag, bolt action. 200 yds is about the max I'd take a shot.

Mostly it looks like a nice starter rifle for the kid. Very little kick and light weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad