OT: General OT Thread #39: Intel Popcorn Processor 39000

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Eh, these gangs are not nearly the type you'd see in some locations. When you spend a lot of time in St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit, you realize pretty quickly Minneapolis gangs are not even remotely close to the level of violence and illegal activity you'd see there.

Not taking anything away from the fact they could make it ugly, but you won't see the body count nor the amount of narcotics being pushed through here as in many other locations.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Eh, these gangs are not nearly the type you'd see in some locations. When you spend a lot of time in St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit, you realize pretty quickly Minneapolis gangs are not even remotely close to the level of violence and illegal activity you'd see there.

Not taking anything away from the fact they could make it ugly, but you won't see the body count nor the amount of narcotics being pushed through here as in many other locations.

I can't speak to the gang situation, but there's an astronomical amount of meth that gets pushed through the cities from Northern Minnesota.

Once you get North of St. Cloud, all the tiny little towns up there? Meth houses all over the place.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I can't speak to the gang situation, but there's an astronomical amount of meth that gets pushed through the cities from Northern Minnesota.

Once you get North of St. Cloud, all the tiny little towns up there? Meth houses all over the place.

Its the same thing in SW corner as well. Lots of land and the homesteads don't sit on the road so its easier to keep the PD out of your affairs. Meth is a major problem going on right now, but once again it isn't nearly as organized (hopefully ever) as you'll see with crack and cocaine supply chains in many of the other cities. Memphis is probably the worst city I've ever been to in the United States (and I've been to Flint!).

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Its the same thing in SW corner as well. Lots of land and the homesteads don't sit on the road so its easier to keep the PD out of your affairs. Meth is a major problem going on right now, but once again it isn't nearly as organized (hopefully ever) as you'll see with crack and cocaine supply chains in many of the other cities. Memphis is probably the worst city I've ever been to in the United States (and I've been to Flint!).

Yeah, Memphis is a **** hole. Though I've never felt as unsafe anywhere as I did in certain parts of Chicago.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
One night in Kansas City, after a Twins game, we went back to the hotel on some side streets because the freeway was JAM packed. That was pretty rough. It was like 10:30, 11:00 at night and there were people just... loitering, EVERYWHERE. It was kind of creepy, didn't want to stay at any stoplights for too long, haha.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Emerson Street Murder Boyz (stupid name, right?) are pretty hardcore where I live in Minneapolis. They mostly hang in NE, but they're all over. Lots and lots of other gangs too. Shame, really.

Same thing for us regarding the color awareness starting in middle school, TaLoN.

The prevalence of gangs in South Minneapolis was why my parents decided to move south of the river when I was 13 yrs old. I know of several people I went to school with since kindergarten, who were killed due to gang violence after I moved to the suburbs.

In fact, just two years after we left, someone was killed as close as a block from our old house... Happened at Diamond Lake Lanes bowling alley...a Cub Foods parking lot now stands there (Cub replaced the old Super Value grocery store that was there...obviously Super Value owns Cub, so they just re-branded when they built the new store).

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
One night in Kansas City, after a Twins game, we went back to the hotel on some side streets because the freeway was JAM packed. That was pretty rough. It was like 10:30, 11:00 at night and there were people just... loitering, EVERYWHERE. It was kind of creepy, didn't want to stay at any stoplights for too long, haha.

Ha. Just a bunch of people standing around doing nothing.. That's how you know it's a dangerous area.

Reminds me of that Dave Chappelle standup- Liquor store, gun store, gun store, liquor store, liquor store, gun store.. Where the **** you takin' me? ...I'm looking for a landmark because I might need to escape on foot, it's 3 o'clock in the morning, I look out the window and there's a ****in' baby standin' on the corner.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Wow. I didn't expect it to be such an... everyday thing. That you had to be aware of gang colors since middle school. Shame, indeed.

Now I feel like I grew up in some bubble. You only needed to mind the thugs and bullies in junior high. You only saw "gangsta" stuff from a bunch of white kids copying the outfits and signs they saw on MTV rap videos, haha.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I've been to the States twice (NYC, Washington D.C. and Cincinnati, OH) and I've never felt unsafe there.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I was thinking you must not be in the cities, since there was no rain or lightning anywhere. Then literally one minute later I heard a loud clap of thunder, and now it's pouring. :laugh:

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I was thinking you must not be in the cities, since there was no rain or lightning anywhere. Then literally one minute later I heard a loud clap of thunder, and now it's pouring. :laugh:

Yeah, for it not being a downpour, it really did sneak in.

I'm sitting 3 feet from an open window, and didn't hear anything until it was full on raining.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Heh, my sister just called me. She goes to school in Winona. Apparently some CEO for the Blackhawks went to St. Mary's (in Winona). Today must be his day with the Cup. She says that people can go there this afternoon to get pictures taken with the Cup.

She said she's going to bail out of class a little early and hitch a ride with her roommate over there to try and get a picture with it :laugh:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Heh, my sister just called me. She goes to school in Winona. Apparently some CEO for the Blackhawks went to St. Mary's (in Winona). Today must be his day with the Cup. She says that people can go there this afternoon to get pictures taken with the Cup.

She said she's going to bail out of class a little early and hitch a ride with her roommate over there to try and get a picture with it :laugh:

Well that's just cruel in Minnesota. :(

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I've been to the States twice (NYC, Washington D.C. and Cincinnati, OH) and I've never felt unsafe there.

It has nothing on some of the other nations I've been to...but Memphis just has an aura about it after midnight that says "don't stop." The only other city I know of that made me feel like that was East Saint Louis.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Why? It's not like the Cup doesn't make frequent trips to Minnesota... there have been a lot of Minnesotans who've won the cup in recent years. Every time, the Cup spends a day in the State.

Because it's the Hawks, who we've lost to three years in a row?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Because it's the Hawks, who we've lost to three years in a row?
Again... nothing to do with the "Day With the Cup" being in this state, as it happens often.

It doesn't hurt that a Minnesota resident with the Hawks brings it home. Props to him for earning it.

It hurt that the Wild keeps losing to the Hawks in the playoffs... by the time they get their day with the cup, I couldn't care less, as I'm focused on next season already.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, just different viewpoints I guess.

To me, it's not a "rub it in anyone's face" type thing. I think of it more in the context of: they get to bring the greatest trophy on earth back home, and share it with the people of their home town.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, just different viewpoints I guess.

To me, it's not a "rub it in anyone's face" type thing. I think of it more in the context of: they get to bring the greatest trophy on earth back home, and share it with the people of their home town.
Agreed. It's a celebration with the people of their hometown. I think that's awesome.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Even I can't be mad about a member of the Hawks bringing the cup to someplace in Minnesota that's important to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad