OT: General OT Thread #35: Generic User Finally Gets A Dynamic Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
True Detective was easily the darkest TV show I've seen. Breaking Bad was intense for sure, but not at the TD level.

TD might have been one of the tightest, most well-done TV shows ever. Granted it was just one standalone season so it was more like a mini-series, but so well done.

The beginning of last year's SOA started off dumb, but ended up intense. I still think the show dragged a bit and got convoluted. Haven't started the new season yet.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
hell yes TD was fantastic. The writing, the casting, the acting, the cinematography-- everything fit the story perfectly. They couldn't have possibly sustained it as long as they did Breaking Bad and I'm glad they didn't say "Hey, this is a hit! Lets forget the original ending and rewrite to keep this thing going!"

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think TD was the best TV show I've ever watched. I really hope season 2 lives up to what season 1 brought to the table, but I can't help but feel it will be tough to top. Harreslon was great, and McConaughey was just brilliant. A few truly memorable moments for me in that series.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Gf and I tried to watch True Detective but were both just bored to oblivion. Finished the first episode and had absolutely no desire to continue.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Gf and I tried to watch True Detective but were both just bored to oblivion. Finished the first episode and had absolutely no desire to continue.

As with any HBO show, I give it 3 episodes before deciding.

HBO shows have remarkable security, compared to shows on other networks, so they know they can take things slowly (see: The Wire)

I'd encourage you to try it again (it took me 3 times to get into The Wire, haha) because I think it was a masterpiece.

But, I SUPPOSE it's possible that some people just don't dig it :)

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
sad for you and your lack of taste :(

;)

Can't speak for her but to me it was just trying to be so realistic it sucked.

I don't watch TV or movies to get super duper realism. I do it to watch amazing stories doing things that are fun to watch.

I want cool stuff happening. Not two guys walking around slowly talking about boring stuff.

Same reason I didn't like The Wire. It was the same thing over and over and was just too boring.

And to Minnesota, I'm not a big fan of dragons either. So they wouldn't have helped True Detective.

Zombies, however, would have been awesome. McConaughey bringing down zombies would have been cool.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
This is one of the most memorable scenes of TV I've ever seen. Wonderful cinematography.

NSFW Language/Content

To do all that in a single take is pretty crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad