OT: General OT Thread #35: Generic User Finally Gets A Dynamic Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
No, I have three more months on my contract. My plan is to sell my 5, which is in good shape, and buy a 6 outright and go with Virgin Mobile. My wife did that and she's paying $30/month.

Verizon = $200 for the phone + $80/mo. x 24 months = $2,120 ($88/mo.)

Virgin = $650 for the phone + $30/mo. x 24 months = $1,370 ($57/mo.)

No brainer.

What kind of plan does she get from Virgin Mobile?? I did the same thing with T-Mobile for $30 a month get,
Unlimited Texting,
5 GBs of Data,
and 100 Minutes (Rarely talk on phone and use gmail when I need to make calls.).

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
(banking rant)

A few weeks ago, my joint checking account overdrew. I had a bunch of money in my personal account and OD protection, but it hadn't been linked. Bugged the hell out of me, so I went into the bank, they had me apply for a new OD protection, and took care of the OD fees.

Yesterday, I see a LETTER TO MY HOUSE (not an e-mail or text) stating that I had overdrafts on my joint account. I looked up, six of them. Still had tons of money in my personal account. No OD protection account was set up.

Before I went to the bank, I went over to a different bank (Wells Fargo), got a business card and brochure, and had them explain how they handle everything. Sounded good.

Then I walked all that info over to my bank, sat it on the table, and had the banker uncomfortably explain the situation. Apparently they denied the new account, didn't tell me about it, and let me continue to get hit with OD fees. Then I asked if there was any reason I shouldn't close all my accounts and transfer them over to Wells.

He's going to have a manager "look it over" and "get back to me".

I don't understand how they can't just take money from one account that is linked up and move it to the other. Or pick up the phone. Or send an e-mail. Or do anything productive.

Idiots.

Because banks aren't in the business of doing things to benefit their customers. They're in the business of pushing BS fees on people until they can't handle it anymore.

It's why I left the bank I grew up with when they started doing stupid crap and left for a credit union, never looked back. My favorite example of my old bank being stupid was when they put a mandatory hold on my (federally insured) payroll check for 5 days, without telling me, and then tried to charge me overdraft fees when my account didn't have the money it should have. I walked in, asked for a cashiers check for the entirety of the rest of my accounts, and wouldn't tell them why. Once I had the check in my hand, I explained the issues and told them to close the account. The cashier admitted she would've done the same thing I did... And yet they made no attempt to retain my business.

TL;DR: Banks, and bankers, are the scum of the earth. They have no interest in your business, they just know that most of them are too big to have to give a damn. There's always someone new coming in to replace you, and they'll screw them over from scratch.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
General OT Thread #36: Fourth Liner Appreciation Edition
General OT Thread #36: Ten To Valentino
General OT Thread #36: Bigger Than John Scott

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
What is the benefit to credit unions? Assuming that I'm not paying any checking fees and don't have any money in a savings account.

It boils down to customer service, and flexibility, for me.

They're small, so losing a customer is actually meaningful. I've had my credit union make a ton of concessions (some reasonable, some not), just because my wife and I have been with them for a long time.

They've setup multiple accounts, made instant transfers, provided overdraft protection for 4 different accounts (all can draw from any of the other 3 to cover), etc. Little details that make the experience of banking feel mutual. They've got just about all the nice things that a big bank does (an app, ease of transfer, ATM's, etc), with absolutely none of the drawbacks.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
What is the benefit to credit unions? Assuming that I'm not paying any checking fees and don't have any money in a savings account.

I just took out a loan from my credit union. My loan officer either answered her phone or contacted me via e-mail the same day, sometime multiple times a day. When the check was ready she had it delivered to a downtown brach, i work downtown and it was ready 20 min after i hung up the phone. I have seen my wife be on hold for ever only to be disconnected or end up with someone that will get back to her. We now bank at the same credit union.

I talk to a live person within minutes of calling.

If anything is questionable, i have a few shared accounts and if they made the mistake about which one was deducted it is simple as, OK sorry, and its done on the spot.

The loan rates are usually lower.

A ma and pa store that really wants your business vs a major chain that sees only green.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Jarick, look into Wings Financial. Used to be a credit union only for people employed by the airline industry but now they've opened their doors to anyone in the metro. The gal used to be with Wells Fargo before we were married and it's about the last bank I'd suggest to start up a new account...

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Jarick, look into Wings Financial. Used to be a credit union only for people employed by the airline industry but now they've opened their doors to anyone in the metro. The gal used to be with Wells Fargo before we were married and it's about the last bank I'd suggest to start up a new account...

I'm with Ideal CU (used to be Postal CU, same deal). The only CU I'd suggest avoiding is the Building Trades. I have some pretty strong family ties to them, and they've started to think they're a big bank with absolutely no reasoning.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'll look into it. My wife's CU is a huge pain in the ass to deal with. They have two ATM's and super outdated online banking. The CU I am technically a member of because I had a loan through doesn't offer OD protection and has a website that looks straight out of 1998.

My needs are:

- Online check register
- Plentiful ATM's
- Overdraft protection
- Ability to transfer money easily among accounts

I don't have enough money to care about savings account interest rate, and I'm not trying to get a loan of any kind. Just need a place to keep my money and access it easily without having to check the balance daily.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

i'm lazy so i haven't done it, but i keep on thinking about opening an account at a veterans credit union like USAA. i think some of the benefits include waiving all fees at all ATMs you use (not only theirs) and really low interest rates on loans...a guy i served with got a 1% loan on a new car. worth checking out anyway. i'm for sure going to do it as i consider pouring concrete on my driveway.

edit: just saw you weren't interested in a loan but maybe in a few years you could refinance cheaper through a credit union. probably charge less than a regular bank to do it.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I'll look into it. My wife's CU is a huge pain in the ass to deal with. They have two ATM's and super outdated online banking. The CU I am technically a member of because I had a loan through doesn't offer OD protection and has a website that looks straight out of 1998.

My needs are:

- Online check register Mine offers this
- Plentiful ATM's As Ryn mentions below, most CU's worth using will at least reimburse ATM fees if it's out of their network
- Overdraft protection Shouldn't be any trouble
- Ability to transfer money easily among accounts Same here

I don't have enough money to care about savings account interest rate, and I'm not trying to get a loan of any kind. Just need a place to keep my money and access it easily without having to check the balance daily.

i'm lazy so i haven't done it, but i keep on thinking about opening an account at a veterans credit union like USAA. i think some of the benefits include waiving all fees at all ATMs you use (not only theirs) and really low interest rates on loans...a guy i served with got a 1% loan on a new car. worth checking out anyway. i'm for sure going to do it as i consider pouring concrete on my driveway.

edit: just saw you weren't interested in a loan but maybe in a few years you could refinance cheaper through a credit union. probably charge less than a regular bank to do it.

Very common. My CU doesn't have a big network of ATMs, but they've offered to refund fees as long as I bring in a receipt.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I managed to annihilate my 4 months old smart phone. I still have over 200 € of payments left.

giphy.gif

**** you too, universe.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
That's one good reason why I've never had a phone that cost over 150€. In fact, my current smartphone cost 90€, although it is painfully slow.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
That's one good reason why I've never had a phone that cost over 150€. In fact, my current smartphone cost 90€, although it is painfully slow.

I liked that phone alot. Hoping I'll get my insurance to cover the costs, or at least the repair.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Thought about looking into a iPhone 6 but I might just get a 5s instead since they're slashing prices on them in anticipation of the release of 6. Not interested enough in the 6 to pay the extra money.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm going as well. I feel a little bad because I'm not a diehard Replacements fan, but it seemed like a really cool, once in a lifetime thing.

Holy balls that was a great show. Easily in my top two or three ever.

Never seen a second encore before...let alone a crowd boo because they didn't get a third one. 31 ****ing songs. My god they were on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad