OT: General OT Thread #35: Generic User Finally Gets A Dynamic Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I liked that phone alot. Hoping I'll get my insurance to cover the costs, or at least the repair.

My iPad got destroyed a few years ago and insurance got me a brand new one, I think I only had to pay 50e for it.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Was at the Blue Jays game today. Man... what a heartbreaking way too lose. Just so gutting, especially when we are barely clinging onto playoff life by the smallest of threads.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Replacements concert was pretty sweet.

The promoter set up a huge free lot across from the Fairgrounds with free shuttles. Good on them, made life easy.

Never seen such a large, homogenous crowd. 99% white people in their mid-40's.

Hold Steady was good. Last time I saw Craig Finn play was Lifter Puller's last show in 2000 at the Walker (oh, good for you). Great energy, songs aren't as good, but better than most music nowadays. After the set, he tried sneaking through the crowd in a hat and flannel and literally bumped into my wife. Would have been neat to catch up but he's big time now.

Then Mayor Coleman proclaimed Replacements Day, came down and stood next to us dad rocking through the first half of the set. That was pretty funny. Obviously supporting Summit.

Speaking of, $8 per beer. Ouch. Summit EPA was worth it though, tasted great.

Replacements played a great set. They were fairly tight (thanks to Josh Freese who's everywhere and flawless) with just a bit of punk rock sloppiness. For such a weathered voice, Westerberg nails the notes. Very few people can combine grit and tone so well. Cobain was one who could. Anyways, they played tons of punk songs, all their hits, and lots of old rock covers. Jackson 5 cover was impressive to be honest.

There was some stupidity, a couple adult children that I had to yell at (which never happens, but I must have a shorter fuse nowadays), a long wait to get back to the lot, but it was a pretty fun time.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Josh Freese is playing with The Replacements? Weird. :laugh:

He's been Paul's drummer since forever. First time I saw him was with Paul on SNL. Side note, people make a big deal about the Replacements on Fallon after being banned from SNL, but Westerberg played on SNL 20 years ago.

Dude is EVERYWHERE though. On every crappy radio rock band created by a label, on radio rock bands with crappy drummers, and on female pop singers who decide to "go rock". Love him.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I know of Josh Freese from when he toured with NIN a few years ago. Figured he played with a bunch of other bands, too.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I know of Josh Freese from when he toured with NIN a few years ago. Figured he played with a bunch of other bands, too.

Take a look at the guy's credit list. :amazed:

I remember when I saw Nine Inch Nails with Queens of the Stone Age in 2005, NIN's drummer had just overdosed/"got sick" and spent a few weeks (IIRC) in the hospital. Tour had to go on so Trent Reznor called up Josh Freese. He had to learn NIN's whole 120 minute set list in 12 hours and I believe our show in St. Paul was the first with Freese. Would've never been able to tell. The guy is that good. Probably the most versatile drummer out there. Can literally play anything.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Take a look at the guy's credit list. :amazed:

I remember when I saw Nine Inch Nails with Queens of the Stone Age in 2005, NIN's drummer had just overdosed/"got sick" and spent a few weeks (IIRC) in the hospital. Tour had to go on so Trent Reznor called up Josh Freese. He had to learn NIN's whole 120 minute set list in 12 hours and I believe our show in St. Paul was the first with Freese. Would've never been able to tell. The guy is that good. Probably the most versatile drummer out there. Can literally play anything.

Miley Cyrus, Avil Lavigne, Katy Perry... Guy's got chops. :sarcasm:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He is a machine. Not a huge fan of his drum sound though, too much attack, not enough body.

Most people would know him as the drummer from A Perfect Circle.

Same, not a huge fan of him individually. Guy's definitely a chameleon, though. Gotta respect that.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Anyone watching the final season of Sons of Anarchy?

First episode was okay. Interesting, but not terrible.

I didn't think last night's episode was that great either. Kind of all over the place.

It'll be interesting to see how the end the series, but I kind of expected a little hotter start than this.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Replacements played a great set. They were fairly tight (thanks to Josh Freese who's everywhere and flawless) with just a bit of punk rock sloppiness. For such a weathered voice, Westerberg nails the notes. Very few people can combine grit and tone so well. Cobain was one who could. Anyways, they played tons of punk songs, all their hits, and lots of old rock covers. Jackson 5 cover was impressive to be honest.

I think the Jackson 5 cover might have been the tightest, best-rehearsed thing they played all-night. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad