OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
My family wanted to see Holmes and Watson last week during Christmas break and I unfortunately obliged without reading any reviews prior. Figured it's Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly what can go wrong? A lot did. That movie was absolute trash from start to finish. Maybe 3 good scenes the entire movie and that's even stretching it. Don't waste any money on it. I felt bad for my dad afterwords who paid for the tickets. Should have seen Vice or The Mule instead

I like Will Ferrell a lot but when I saw previews of this movie with him with that accent I knew it would be trash. Sad to be proven right.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I assume you're under 35 and probably lighter than 200lbs. I used to love Taco Bell, too. Not anymore.

Older, bigger people cannot eat that crap with any regularity if they want to be fit and/or avoid dying prematurely.

Although this is true, and while I do enjoy the idea of eating fake food from time to time, I'm less concerned with the long term health consequences of eating Taco Bell, than I am the immediate, sudden, violent, unstoppable screamers that it gives me, every damn time! Its like my inner parts understand what I'm doing to them and immediately just say "oh hell no" in a Will Smith voice!

Reactions: g00n

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
My wife signed up for weight watchers last year to participate in a contest to lose weight with her Mother, Aunt and Cousins. At 30$ a month it was an expensive contest, and my wife didn't win, but thats another story. Because of the mentioned 30$ I started to calculate what I ate on the WW's app she downloaded out of curiosity, but also because I am an overweight sack of ****, I started calculating stuff I ate on a daily basis. When it comes to Taco Bell, because my daughters and I love their soft tacos, I was surprised what I found. Anything with a lot of the cheesewiz type cheese was confirmed to be horribly bad for you but stuff without that cheese had very low points. Just meat and cheese soft tacos are only 6 points. Soft taco with shredded chicken is just 4 points. Burrito supreme without sour cream was only 8. In comparison a McDonald's single cheeseburger is 10 points.

Another vise I had is Mountain Dew. I don't drink coffee so when I needed a pick me up I'd down a Mountain Dew. The large drink size Mountain Dew at Taco Bell is 30 ****ing points. When I saw that my draw dropped. I had given up soda a year or so ago, and I knew Mountain Dew was loaded with all kinds of bad crap, but seeing that made it real. Soda will certainly kill you, even the diet stuff. On the flip side the Crystal Light individual pouches of lemon tea for 20 oz bottles of water is zero points. I highly recommend that when you want to drink something with taste.

Also, while piggybacking off my wife's WW account I dropped over 20 lbs just by researching what I want to eat and making choices not to eat bad shit. Now imagine if I actually committed to exercise? ;)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
My wife signed up for weight watchers last year to participate in a contest to lose weight with her Mother, Aunt and Cousins. At 30$ a month it was an expensive contest, and my wife didn't win, but thats another story. Because of the mentioned 30$ I started to calculate what I ate on the WW's app she downloaded out of curiosity, but also because I am an overweight sack of ****, I started calculating stuff I ate on a daily basis. When it comes to Taco Bell, because my daughters and I love their soft tacos, I was surprised what I found. Anything with a lot of the cheesewiz type cheese was confirmed to be horribly bad for you but stuff without that cheese had very low points. Just meat and cheese soft tacos are only 6 points. Soft taco with shredded chicken is just 4 points. Burrito supreme without sour cream was only 8. In comparison a McDonald's single cheeseburger is 10 points.

Another vise I had is Mountain Dew. I don't drink coffee so when I needed a pick me up I'd down a Mountain Dew. The large drink size Mountain Dew at Taco Bell is 30 ****ing points. When I saw that my draw dropped. I had given up soda a year or so ago, and I knew Mountain Dew was loaded with all kinds of bad crap, but seeing that made it real. Soda will certainly kill you, even the diet stuff. On the flip side the Crystal Light individual pouches of lemon tea for 20 oz bottles of water is zero points. I highly recommend that when you want to drink something with taste.

Also, while piggybacking off my wife's WW account I dropped over 20 lbs just by researching what I want to eat and making choices not to eat bad ****. Now imagine if I actually committed to exercise? ;)

I have used MyFitnessPal for calorie counting for several years now. I was at 220 pounds after hurting my back and am now down to 185 and maintaining after calorie counting. I am currently at almost 1000 days straight of tracking without missing a day or meal. Some would call this obsessive...and so would I. But eh it works for me and the app makes it easy to copy meals I have eaten in the past so I don't have to search the database for every single item unless it's something I've never eaten before.

In concert with MyFitnessPal, I use a food scale. Sometimes the nutritional info on packages can be deceiving, especially on junk food. Only 140 calories for potato chips, that isn't bad! Except 1 serving is like 10 chips when you weigh it on the food scale. It also helps for when you need to track fresh ingredients such as potatoes and meat.

As you mentioned, soda is a killer. Same with sweet tea, which for some reason people think is better for you than soda. If you get a large non-diet soda somewhere, that's instantly 300 calories down the drain. And you are almost certainly getting refills when you eat out somewhere, so that's going to be at least 600 calories. I don't do Crystal Light, but I also need something more than just water sometimes. So I usually go for unsweetened iced tea or when I want carbonation I'll do flavored seltzer water. I stay away from diet sodas because sweeteners give me headaches and they taste weird.

I let myself splurge every now and then. I'll go out to watch football/hockey every now and then and I'll drink some beer and eat some wings. It's not realistic for me to eat healthy every day. Some days I just don't feel like cooking, or some days I just get cravings. But I'll track everything. When I see 3,500 calories consumed today in big red letters at the end of the day it reminds me that yeah, I can't do this every day and it quickly drowns out the cravings that I might otherwise normally have.

I also weigh in at least once a week. I noticed when I started putting on weight I would be too scared to step on the scale. I can't let that happen again.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Also, while piggybacking off my wife's WW account I dropped over 20 lbs just by researching what I want to eat and making choices not to eat bad ****. Now imagine if I actually committed to exercise? ;)

I haven't had a soda in about 3 years. I do drink tea, but baby steps. And like I said, a taco bell taco plain old beef (or chicken), cheese, lettuce is actually not that bad in the grand scheme.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I haven't had a soda in about 3 years. I do drink tea, but baby steps. And like I said, a taco bell taco plain old beef (or chicken), cheese, lettuce is actually not that bad in the grand scheme.

I like drinking water so giving up soda wasn't as bad, or hard, as I thought it would be. The little crystal light pouches are for those times I want something with taste but they aren't an every day thing. The one issue I have with drinking water is all the water bottles I go threw. No environmental nut but I am aware of the issues with plastics but where I live I have well water and it isn't the best tasting stuff even with an expensive water conditioning system attached.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was never a coffee guy. I was a wake up and have a coke guy.

I wish someone could come up with flavor packets for water that taste good and don’t make me feel like I’m ingesting chemical death. I need some flavor.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I have been semi-diligent about counting calories with the LoseIt app for a couple of years now. Never have been much of a soda drinker, though I do occasionally have a Mexican Coke. I have a latte every morning courtesy of my wonderful husband and our awesome espresso maker and then usually wine or something with dinner, but it's water all day in between.

My main issue is that cooking/baking is my favorite hobby. And I'm really good at it. I didn't want to give that up so have switched to eating vegetarian twice a week and bought a lot of smaller baking dishes that allow me to make mini-pies and cakes. It's resulted in a lot less cost and waste. This plus doing yoga and hiking in the woods most days, and I've lost about 15 lbs just being mindful of my calories but not being a nut about it.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I was never a coffee guy. I was a wake up and have a coke guy.

I wish someone could come up with flavor packets for water that taste good and don’t make me feel like I’m ingesting chemical death. I need some flavor.
Definitely chemical death. I'm not a flavored water fan, myself, but a friend of mine swears by this stuff. I haven't really looked into it, but she's pretty picky, so...

https://www.amazon.com/H2wOw-Enhancer-ORGANIC-Natural-Extracts/dp/B00L8HPX6A?th=1

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I have been semi-diligent about counting calories with the LoseIt app for a couple of years now. Never have been much of a soda drinker, though I do occasionally have a Mexican Coke. I have a latte every morning courtesy of my wonderful husband and our awesome espresso maker and then usually wine or something with dinner, but it's water all day in between.

My main issue is that cooking/baking is my favorite hobby. And I'm really good at it. I didn't want to give that up so have switched to eating vegetarian twice a week and bought a lot of smaller baking dishes that allow me to make mini-pies and cakes. It's resulted in a lot less cost and waste. This plus doing yoga and hiking in the woods most days, and I've lost about 15 lbs just being mindful of my calories but not being a nut about it.

I just bought my wife a Nespresso Creatista Uno for her birthday and it's been amazing. I'm more of an Americano guy since I love the taste of coffee and I try to keep my dairy intake to a minimum but the lattes that machine whips up are terrific too.

Also, love the rest of the posts in this thread. You'd be amazed how significantly you can lose weight and get in shape in a short period of time just by making a few simple lifestyle changes.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I just bought my wife a Nespresso Creatista Uno for her birthday and it's been amazing. I'm more of an Americano guy since I love the taste of coffee and I try to keep my dairy intake to a minimum but the lattes that machine whips up are terrific too.

Also, love the rest of the posts in this thread. You'd be amazed how significantly you can lose weight and get in shape in a short period of time just by making a few simple lifestyle changes.
My only beef with Nespresso is all the plastic. I know they recycle them but those little pods have a huge carbon footprint before they ever reach a machine. They do make a really lovely cup of espresso though.

Agreed, though. Simple manageable changes are the way to go.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My only beef with Nespresso is all the plastic. I know they recycle them but those little pods have a huge carbon footprint before they ever reach a machine. They do make a really lovely cup of espresso though.

Agreed, though. Simple manageable changes are the way to go.

Just goes to show how much Starbucks coffee tastes like burnt ass. My wife, whenever we find ourselves in the unfortunate situation of having to get Starbucks, gets something very sweet or uses a ton of cream and sugar to make it palatable. The first time she had a Nespresso Latte she was blown away and said it was the first time she was able to drink coffee without adding sugar or creamer to it.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Just watched Hoosiers with my 11 year old basketball playing daughter. She has never seen it and she watched from start to finish. No small feet considering it’s a 32 year old movie with no fancy CGI. Although her constant remarks about the length of the boys shorts got annoying. She even jumped into my arms in celebration when Jimmy made the winning shot. What a great movie.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just watched Hoosiers with my 11 year old basketball playing daughter. She has never seen it and she watched from start to finish. No small feet considering it’s a 32 year old movie with no fancy CGI. Although her constant remarks about the length of the boys shorts got annoying. She even jumped into my arms in celebration when Jimmy made the winning shot. What a great movie.
Making fun of the short shorts is a worthy and time-honored girls' tradition.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Who wears short shorts?

RIP Bob Einstein aks Super Dave Osborne

The greatest Canadian....stuntman, ever

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Little behind eh? But yeah RIP Super Dave.

Sorry I am late, I got hung up back there. I only found out by following the twitter guy that got invited to a bachelor party on accident.

independence_day___russel_casse_by_heroforpain_d8a274l-fullview.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad