OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) Pt. 3 - Read OP before posting

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Watchers was a favorite book of mine as a kid….movie was average at best, but it did have Corey Haim lol…..and ultra 80’s bad guy Michael Ironsides.

I have always had Golden Retrievers, so Watchers was a favorite. Koontz has a lot of dog characters in his books. Try Fear Nothing and Seize the Night. Two sister books with a character with XP in them.....and a Lab Retriever.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ok....I have a 47 hour road trip coming in a couple of weeks. I need audio books to fill the miles. I have Alex Cross, Jack Reacher and Odd Thomas to start. Who do you recommend?
Terminal List by Jack Carr. Ex Navy Seal turned author. Has a series coming out on Amazon Prime that will have Chris Pratt in the lead role.

Reactions: txpd

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
True story my girlfriend and I entered a beer pong competition last night in Costa Rica and our team name was the Washington Capitals, we went out in the first round smh

I lol'd

Reactions: max21

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
True story my girlfriend and I entered a beer pong competition last night in Costa Rica and our team name was the Washington Capitals, we went out in the first round smh

upload_2021-8-19_14-52-44.gif

Trade her to Winnipeg?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Anyone have a legit gym they've built at home? Squat rack, bumper plates, etc. Since we moved we're about 25 minutes from my gym and I'm going to build a garage gym and am doing my research now but curious if anyone has done it before and has any tips or websites with good deals.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone have a legit gym they've built at home? Squat rack, bumper plates, etc. Since we moved we're about 25 minutes from my gym and I'm going to build a garage gym and am doing my research now but curious if anyone has done it before and has any tips or websites with good deals.

Squat racks and bumper plates…I’ll take “I no longer go heavy in the gym for $1000” Alex….lol.

I’ve had two home gyms, none with super crazy equipment. Flooring is pretty easy/standard. Guess it depends on what you want to work out with and how…

Sorry not much to offer, but the subject intrigues me. I’d like to convert a basement room into my new gym (from the smaller and less convenient basement room it’s currently in).

I’ve determined that I must be able to see the Mancave 86” from at least 2-3 pieces of equipment or stations at all times lol….

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I have some old Krav Maga mats and a universal plus a lot of free weight shit but no rack. Advice from my brother is big into power lifting etc:

If you have the scratch get a Rogue. If you own your home get one that bolts down. Because most garages are not level for drainage reasons getting it right will require some know-how.

RML-390F Flat Foot Monster Lite Rack Weight Training | Rogue Fitness

Less expensive:

power racks - Manufacturer of Gym, Weight, and Fitness Equipment for 40 years

"If price matters, identify the gear you want and then set google/ebay/craigslist push alerts to email you when someone posts it. The trade off is time.

it pays to buy a good rack and you dont need a ton of weight at once. weight costs freight so saving money means picking it up locally off CL."

He also recommends greatmats.com esp if you have someone who is sensitive to typical components.

Debating getting rid of this universal and getting a good self-rack system but at my age just putting it together is probably enough of a workout.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Love me some fish and chips but restaurant business in covid time seems worst than owning a yacht.

Actually yacht sales, specifically live-aboard boats, have skyrocketed as a result of the pandemic. People are desperate to get away from the rat race, so they are selling their houses and buying boats in record numbers and moving on board.

I'm -this- close to following them. In many cases it can actually be a lot cheaper to live on a boat than to live in a house with a mortgage.

Recreational boats are also selling like hotcakes and in some cases 6-10 year old boats are selling now for the same price they paid as new, which is unheard of in boat world where the typically depreciate like crazy. Boat supply and demand has been turned on its head because of Covid.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yep, have some boating buddies...can confirm.

I'd love to see those boat vs mortgage numbers and how they work out. A 400k boat for example (a price I was looking at recently for fun) seems like a lot, but typically isn't a boat you can live on unless you're buying dirt old, then there are exorbitant docking fees and maintenance costs for large vessels.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yep, have some boating buddies...can confirm.

I'd love to see those boat vs mortgage numbers and how they work out. A 400k boat for example (a price I was looking at recently for fun) seems like a lot, but typically isn't a boat you can live on unless you're buying dirt old, then there are exorbitant docking fees and maintenance costs for large vessels.

You can easily live on a nice, reasonably young, $150-200K boat, around 45 feet. The real costs are when you want to really go blue water cruising over long passages, you just need a lot more equipment and redundancy and that drives that $200K boat up to $350K. If one plans to stick to coastal cruising $200K will be plenty.

Liveaboard slips in San Diego, one of the most expensive areas around, are in the range of $25-$35/ft, so again, longer is more expensive but a nice 42' boat can be slipped permanently in a marina for between $1000-$2000, but those are just slip fees. Insurance and maintenance are additional.

Sailing really becomes cheap not when you live in an expensive marina, but when you set sail and drop anchor. Again that $150K boat will need more gear to make this really comfortable, but I've seen some youtubers buy boats for $5K (yes $5,000), fix them up and sail off to the Caribbean and live on $1000/month. I've seen others spend $50K and do the same with a little less sanding.

The boat I'm after costs ~$450K right now fully loaded for cruising, so if I sold my house and moved onto that in San Diego, I'd be about break even overall, maybe save a little. But if I sold my house and moved onto that boat and live on the hook, I'd save a ton of money, while really enjoying a rapidly depreciating asset LOL.

Lots of video about the cost of cruising but this one is good showing modest costs, with the right details and some comparisons. Here's a good one on the very high end also.

Both the 40 year old boat and the brand new million dollar boat in the two examples above, spend a shitton of time fixing things that break, like constantly.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ohhh sailboating…..hard pass. Too much work. Wife would never go for it lol….

Power only for this Captain lol. Hard still at ~40 feet to not feel like an RV for me, no matter the style.

That Beneteau is gorgeous…

This one is prettier…

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad