Confirmed with Link: General Manager Ron Hextall (Asst. GM & Director of Hockey Ops in 2013-14)

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I've been saying it for a while but the best thing to do with lecavalier and Umberger is to bite the bullet and find a team willing to take them in exchange for a pick. Something like

Lecavalier + 2nd for a 7th or career ahl player.

Umberger and 3rd for a 7th or career ahl player

It sucks to lose picks but having those two on the team is more damaging than losing those two picks

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe for Vinny. Umberger can be bought out quite cheaply at the end of the season.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I've been saying it for a while but the best thing to do with lecavalier and Umberger is to bite the bullet and find a team willing to take them in exchange for a pick. Something like

Lecavalier + 2nd for a 7th or career ahl player.

Umberger and 3rd for a 7th or career ahl player

It sucks to lose picks but having those two on the team is more damaging than losing those two picks
Rumor over the summer was that teams wanted picks and salary retained from the Flyers. The league knows the Flyers are stuck and nobody is going to do them a favor. It would have to be 1st rd picks to move that dead weight.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
If we kept benching Vinny, do you think it would force him to retire? I would think he wouldn't get his pay anymore though right?

He will be paid whether he plays or not.......he is still being paid by Tampa Bay.....for not playing for them!

(Thank you Holmgren!)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Hextall could have moved Lecavalier over the summer while retaining half of his salary, he should have done it and it was a 2nd mistake on his part. Trading Hartnell for Umberger was mitake #1.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Uncle Ed has emerged from his crypt....:laugh:

I beg to differ BTW about the most shocking thing he has ever seen.....c'mon...what about Bryz and Leighton? Two "things" right there with plenty of shock value

Snider: Poor-performing Flyers need to 'turn it around'

Flyers chairman Ed Snider isn't happy about the team's struggles with secondary scoring.

In fact, he told the Philadelphia Inquirer, he's "never seen anything like it in all the years [he's] been in hockey."

That, Snider said, extends back to the Flyers' first year of existence, 1967-68.

Beyond Claude Giroux (seven goals, 20 assists) and Jakub Voracek (nine goals, 23 assists), the Flyers' offense has all but slowed to a crawl.

"Guys can't go the whole year without scoring," he said. "That would be the most shocking thing I've ever seen."

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...er-poor-performing-flyers-need-turn-it-around

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The last time he spoke about the teams performance in public someone lost their job shortly after it.

The Inquirer version is a bit more detailed...

I think we know what we have with Vinny and Limburger....DEAD WOOD!

Snider said the Flyers can be a playoff team if the other lines wake up. "Guys can't go the whole year without scoring," he said. "That would be the most shocking thing I've ever seen."

Asked to evaluate coach Craig Berube, Snider said "that's not my job, but I just know he did a very good job last year and he's the same guy. It's not that the team isn't playing a good system, it's just a lack of scoring, and Berube can't go out and score for those guys."

If the Flyers don't regroup soon, is it time to go into a rebuilding mode?

"It's premature to even discuss that," Snider said. "We have to know what we have and what we don't have. I haven't given up on this year. We're not the first team to go through a bad situation for a period of time. There's three-quarters of the season left, so ask me that in a couple months."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...Snider_blasts_Flyers.html#gAdbldMbqV3Zx4WD.99

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's still not worth it to give high draft picks to get rid of Lecavalier. I'd still rather buy him out, because the Flyers likely won't be contenders before that full 2/3 of dead cap space would expire. The three years after, it will be just under $900K. We waste numbers like that every year on something, just would be par for the course. Presumably, guys like Ghost and Hagg, Sanheim, and Morin will be up here still on their ELC's and/or second contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad