Confirmed with Link: General Manager Ron Hextall (Asst. GM & Director of Hockey Ops in 2013-14)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It shouldn't be too hard to move Grossmann or Schenn or Coburn or Schultz at the deadline. Teams that think they're in the hunt for a Stanley Cup always try to shore up the position (look at Meszaros last year). It shouldn't be hard to get draft picks for Schultz and Grossmann. As for Schenn I think you'd be looking at another player struggling in return for him. His contract isn't too bad though and I think most teams would be content with that. The big haul would be what Coburn could get the club. I know most on here are very hesitant on dealing Coburn, but at the same time, the Flyers won't be winning anything anytime soon with him in the lineup and there are some good defenders available in free agency this year (I know people seem to think Marc Staal will go to Carolina, but if he hits free agency, I can see Hextall making a very strong push for him, especially if Hextall has significant cap space to work with). If Coburn + extras means getting a guy like Ryan O'Reilly (who I think would sign for cheaper in Philadelphia if it meant playing with Giroux and Voracek), then I think it's something to consider.

I really don't think Del Zotto is going to break the bank. I'm thinking 3.5 to 4 a year for him. If his agent can get him more, then I think the Flyers should qualify him, and then deal his rights.

The good about this is that Hextall actually has options and I like the fact that he's not going to rush things to try to shake things up. I think he sees the product for what it is and what he needs to do to get it fixed going forward.

Schenn has been on the trade block for more than a year now & no one has bit. Hextall was trying to get rid of either one of Schenn or Grossmann earlier in the season again no one bit. We don't know Hextall's intentions with Coburn & Schultz doesn't garner really anything in trade as well does he not open a spot being a depth defensemen under normal circumstances.

I wouldn't give MDZ that type of contract. He was nearly out of the NHL until the Flyers came calling assuming he actually finishes strong which is a huge question mark in it's self (why I'm not opposed to selling high on him) I still don't feel comfortable giving him a long term deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
and having one bad season literally means nothing. works both ways.

Of course. But don't come out here with being 12th in Norris Trophy voting though. Del Zotto got 1 4th place vote and 2 5th place votes. He is a good player who was undervalued, the Flyers shouldn't have even needed to wait for something happen to Timonen to sign him.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Schenn has been on the trade block for more than a year now & no one has bit. Hextall was trying to get rid of either one of Schenn or Grossmann earlier in the season again no one bit. We don't know Hextall's intentions with Coburn & Schultz doesn't garner really anything in trade as well does he not open a spot being a depth defensemen under normal circumstances.
Maybe what Hexy wanted for Schenn, Grossmann, Coburn or Schultz will change. He may have wanted good players or prospects in return. Now it may be that he is looking to clear roster and cap space. At some point Alt, Ghost, Hagg, Morin and Sandheim will need some places on the roster to fill. I don't know if Hextall wants to give Cobunr a long term deal at over $5M per which will be what he wants. Is he interested in paying $3.5M or more for Grossmann or Schenn? Doubtful.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe what Hexy wanted for Schenn, Grossmann, Coburn or Schultz will change. He may have wanted good players or prospects in return. Now it may be that he is looking to clear roster and cap space. At some point Alt, Ghost, Hagg, Morin and Sandheim will need some places on the roster to fill. I don't know if Hextall wants to give Cobunr a long term deal at over $5M per which will be what he wants. Is he interested in paying $3.5M or more for Grossmann or Schenn? Doubtful.

Well you just don't ditch Coburn for whatever someone offers that's just bad asset management, he's a value piece. As I mentioned above Schultz doesn't fetch much regardless as does he not open a spot next year seeing as he's a #7 defensemen without injuries.

He obviously isn't interested in paying them two that kind of money hence why he was trying to unload them earlier in the year. Players set their own market's for the most part only a dumb GM can really alter it which none helped Hextall out. Schenn & Grossmann are tough sell's regardless of what you're trying to get back.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Well you just don't ditch Coburn for whatever someone offers that's just bad asset management, he's a value piece. As I mentioned above Schultz doesn't fetch much regardless as does he not open a spot next year seeing as he's a #7 defensemen without injuries.

He obviously isn't interested in paying them two that kind of money hence why he was trying to unload them earlier in the year. Players set their own market's for the most part only a dumb GM can really alter it which none helped Hextall out. Schenn & Grossmann are tough sell's regardless of what you're trying to get back.
No one said to give any of these guys away. Its the return that Hextall might accept that could change. If the younger defensemen are going to start making the club then there have to be slots for them. AMac is here for a while and so is Streit. If MDZ is the real deal that he is showing now, at his age gee's a keeper. Coburn is a trade out for what he will wants or else he will be a FA. Last year Hexy/Homer might have wanted players for him. Now they might accept draft choices if they had to.
I don't believe that Grossmann or Schenn are that hard to move. It all depends what you want for them or who they are packaged with in a deal. with the attrition rate for defensemen this season, teams will be looking for guys like them over the next three months.
I agree with you on Schultz but someone might give you a 3rd or 4th round DC for him f they were in a pinch.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No one said to give any of these guys away. Its the return that Hextall might accept that could change. If the younger defensemen are going to start making the club then there have to be slots for them. AMac is here for a while and so is Streit. If MDZ is the real deal that he is showing now, at his age gee's a keeper. Coburn is a trade out for what he will wants or else he will be a FA. Last year Hexy/Homer might have wanted players for him. Now they might accept draft choices if they had to.
I don't believe that Grossmann or Schenn are that hard to move. It all depends what you want for them or who they are packaged with in a deal. with the attrition rate for defensemen this season, teams will be looking for guys like them over the next three months.
I agree with you on Schultz but someone might give you a 3rd or 4th round DC for him f they were in a pinch.

If you're trading Coburn you might as well just blow the entire defense up which MDZ should go as well as another value piece. Streit & MacDonald would obviously being staying & hope you can ditch of one Schenn or Grossmann on someone. Schultz is a non factor as is Carlo C.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If you're trading Coburn you might as well just blow the entire defense up which MDZ should go as well as another value piece. Streit & MacDonald would obviously being staying & hope you can ditch of one Schenn or Grossmann on someone. Schultz is a non factor as is Carlo C.
I don't know if it blowing up the defense as much as it is turning it over. We can see that this is coming with all of the quality young defenders in the system.
Personally, I'd like to keep Coburn but with what he could get on the open market, my belief is that the Flyers won't match that unless they trade AMac. That's possible but doubtful. Some people in the system really like him.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Can't have Eberle with what Jake is gonna make

You might not be able to have Coburn for what Jake is going to make. 8+ is looking very possible though I think he would come in at no more than Giroux but if he leads the NHL in scoring this year, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad