Confirmed with Link: General Manager Ron Hextall (Asst. GM & Director of Hockey Ops in 2013-14)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Problem is the Flyers lack assets especially moveable ones, and there isn't a lack of Del Zotto's in the league. They just signed another one in Coliacovo after the start of the season. The likelihood Del Zotto is still here when the Flyers are contending isn't very good.

Colaiacovo's ability to make an impact offensively is not on the same planet as Del Zottos..EVEN IF Cola was a regular in the lineup and could magically stay healthy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wonder if LSchenn get's moved soon... it seems like it.

Tiny amount of ice time last night and apparently scratched against the Isles? Not looking good for him unless he's still hurt.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
schenn is just not suited for todays nhl and the goal against him last night is a perfect example. No way should a forward beat you from that far away the goal.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
I feel sorry for Hextall....

This collection of players assembled by that dim-witted buffoon Holmgren has created a Rubic's Cube that Hexy has to solve, and with those long term deals to worthless players like McDonald and Lecavalier is making it seem like Hexy is trying to solve the puzzle with two arthetic hands.
Moves need to be made, on the ice and maybe even behind the bench.
I'm sure that senile old man (Snider) will start making his presence known again, I just wish that he would sell his portion of the team and stay out in California.
The Flyers organisation is a complete mess because of his interference, and giving lifetime jobs to dolts like Holmgren are an indication of his stupidity.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
This collection of players assembled by that dim-witted buffoon Holmgren has created a Rubic's Cube that Hexy has to solve, and with those long term deals to worthless players like McDonald and Lecavalier is making it seem like Hexy is trying to solve the puzzle with two arthetic hands.
Moves need to be made, on the ice and maybe even behind the bench.
I'm sure that senile old man (Snider) will start making his presence known again, I just wish that he would sell his portion of the team and stay out in California.
The Flyers organisation is a complete mess because of his interference, and giving lifetime jobs to dolts like Holmgren are an indication of his stupidity.

Lol, get a grip with your Snider hate bud. I'm sure it's been horrible for the fans to deal with an owner whose company has basically ensured that the Flyers will always be one of wealthiest teams in the league.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Are you referring to Comcast?

I'm referring to Spectacor which originally made the Flyers one of the healthiest franchises in the league. The merger with Comcast was brilliant on Sinder's part, but the Flyers were already in good shape before that.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Don't know if this has been posted yet but doesn't sound too good:
Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 on Monday morning.

On Ron Hextall and the Philadelphia Flyers:

“The tough thing for there is he doesn’t have a lot that other people want. Nobody really wants to take Andrew MacDonald’s contract. Nobody really wants to take Vinnie Lecavalier’s contract. Philly knows if they want to move those guys, they’re probably going to have to eat a chunk.

“I think the thing that other teams are saying about them is there’s a certain expectation of a game when you play against the Flyers, that especially when they’re going poorly, that at least you know that they’re going to try to run over you. That doesn’t appear to be the case with them. They seem a bit – I don’t know if ‘meek’ is the right word, but meeker than normal.

“From what I understand about what Hextall is, you pick a player on the team that somebody might want, whether it’s a Brayden Schenn or a Sean Couturier. I think what he’s trying to do is say, ‘Okay, if you want one of those guys, you have to take one of my contracts I don’t like.’ And I think teams are balking at that. For two reasons: 1) It’s a lot of money, and b) especially during the season where so many teams are tight to the cap, it’s really hard to do. So I think that’s kind of where Philadelphia is right now. They’re in positions where they can’t really make the deals they want to make.”

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/wort...-on-flyers-trade-thoughts-on-schenn-couturier

The Flyers might be stuck with this mess for many seasons to come.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Don't know if this has been posted yet but doesn't sound too good:

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/wort...-on-flyers-trade-thoughts-on-schenn-couturier

The Flyers might be stuck with this mess for many seasons to come.

I think this is the reality that we are in that a few posters have mentioned already.

Vinny is going nowhere. Worst player in the league on a god awful contract.

Umberger is probablly more movable than Vinny

MacDonald is quickly becoming an anchor we may not be able to shake.

I am not envious of the position Hexy is in, and I think he will have to make some hard , unpopular moves because of it.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I mean... how valuable is Vinny even if we retain half the salary? Umberger could be moved probably for a mid or low pick. MacD... not sure what to do with him. The plus about him is that he does not have a NMC or NTC.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
That scenario has been speculated about around here since Hextall took over. You have bloated contracts for bad players in a league where the cap has stagnated. It's a tough sell to git rid of them, or even one.

RJ8812*

No one wants MacDonald. He isn't a very good defenseman, yet we decided to pay him an insane amount of money

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
I'm referring to Spectacor which originally made the Flyers one of the healthiest franchises in the league. The merger with Comcast was brilliant on Sinder's part, but the Flyers were already in good shape before that.

He is a successful businessman, and he has created a franchise that has been a model franchise in the league. What he doesn't seem to understand is how the game is successfully played today.
Hiring people like Paul Holmgren to management positions is an absolute failure on his part. Holmgren has royaly screwed this team, and the way to fix it is damn near impossible due to the horrible contract issues created by Holmgren and approved by Snider.
Snider can talk tough and perpetuate his Broad Street Bully persona, but the truth of the matter is that the game has passed him by.
Yes, this franchise makes tons of money.....yet his fans have been duped into believing that they are a player or two away from being a Cup contender.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I mean... how valuable is Vinny even if we retain half the salary? Umberger could be moved probably for a mid or low pick. MacD... not sure what to do with him. The plus about him is that he does not have a NMC or NTC.

Umberger and Lecavalier are going nowhere. They are not even worth half their salary. MacDonald might be able to be moved with salary retained in a few seasons.

If this is the case, the best decision might be to just blow it up. The Flyers are going to hover in the mediocre zone for a couple of years, it might be better to just bottom out and begin again.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Umberger and Lecavalier are going nowhere. They are not even worth half their salary. MacDonald might be able to be moved with salary retained in a few seasons.

If this is the case, the best decision might be to just blow it up. The Flyers are going to hover in the mediocre zone for a couple of years, it might be better to just bottom out and begin again.

If Vinny was at a league minimum cap hit and salary, I would still not want him. I wouldn't even want him on my AHL affiliate as he would probably hurt some prospects development. He needs to retire.

Umberger at a 13th forward at league minimum would probably be his ideal spot.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
I just wish they would stop floating around mid-standings. I'm hoping they keep losing which is tough for me to say but it might enable us to get rid of some dead weight as well as pick in the top 5 of the draft. I am fed up of 1st round exits and picking 15-20.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
He is a successful businessman, and he has created a franchise that has been a model franchise in the league.
the Flyers are not a model franchise in this league
maybe they were if you're posting from the year 1989

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't even care about paying Lecavalier and Umberger. We have enough good young forwards on ELC's. I just don't want to see them on the ice. Their presence has completely destroyed the teams confidence.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
I just wish they would stop floating around mid-standings. I'm hoping they keep losing which is tough for me to say but it might enable us to get rid of some dead weight as well as pick in the top 5 of the draft. I am fed up of 1st round exits and picking 15-20.

I agree with you Van Buren Boy, however most of the "dead weight" is tied up into long term deals with no trade clauses attached. The dead weight will continue to be the albatross that drags this team down for several more years (thank you Paul Holmgren).
I am happy that Ron Hextall will be making the picks during the draft days.
Remember this, they are still paying off Ilya Bryzgalov and Chris Pronger, just as Tampa Bay is still paying off Vincent Lecavalier.
With the exception of Pronger, these players care more about their contracts than they do about the game. They are making millions of dollars whether they play or not, so they don't even care how poorly they play.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
the Flyers are not a model franchise in this league
maybe they were if you're posting from the year 1989
Yes, they are. They sell millions of dollars in apparel each year, and their away games are usually sell outs (people around the league still love to hate them).
Business wise they couldn't be much better, yet they haven't a clue about how the game is played today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad