Speculation: General Expansion Draft Discussion | Part II

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I would honestly feel better if he is traded and the team trading for him payed a high price for him.

That would make me feel worse, that just means that Dorion could have probably made a similar deal, but was too busy sitting on his hands to make the deal himself...

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
With Vegas picking up both Berube and Pickard, I have to think one is on the move. Hope Dorion is making a play - 28th OA + Hammond for the AHL? Or would a 2nd round pick do it?

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
That would make me feel worse, that just means that Dorion could have probably made a similar deal, but was too busy sitting on his hands to make the deal himself...

No it doesn't. Methot's value is higher today than it was at this time yesterday because there's no threat of him being taken in expansion today and Vegas doesn't have 1/3 of the league's hands tied anymore.

With Vegas picking up both Berube and Pickard, I have to think one is on the move. Hope Dorion is making a play - 28th OA + Hammond for the AHL? Or would a 2nd round pick do it?

Neither of those are worth either of those picks. Mike Condon passed on waivers before we got him for a 5th last year. If we go after a goalie in a trade, it better be Grubauer.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No it doesn't. Methot's value is higher today than it was at this time yesterday because there's no threat of him being taken in expansion today and Vegas doesn't have 1/3 of the league's hands tied anymore.

Neither of those are worth either of those picks. Mike Condon passed on waivers before we got him for a 5th last year. If we go after a goalie in a trade, it better be Grubauer.

I feel this isn't going to stop the unwarranted criticisms.

Actually, I know it will be ignored.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Doesn't even give the hint of a prospect of going UFA or Trade jesus this sucks if he is deadset on solving this internally. We have no senators right now to call our lead defensive penalty killer.

EK65 was the best defensive penalty killer last season. He will be again this season. And one of Claesson or Harpur will emerge as a good complement to Karlsson. Let's remember, Methot was a 3-4 D ... in Columbus ... before getting traded to Ottawa. He misses around 10 games per season, and is 32. If Vegas, or anyone, thinks that Methot is going to turn someone else into another Karlsson, then we all get the last laugh. Without EK, Methot is a serviceable second pair guy who will leave a fan base wanting more offence.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Unfortunately it is.

Man, I remember when I used to think that 29 was "old".

It was right around the same time that I also used to think that my mom should increase my allowance to $5/week despite me never doing my chores, and when I was inexplicably looking forward to finally being old enough to go to High School. :laugh:

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Man, I remember when I used to think that 29 was "old".

It was right around the same time that I also used to think that my mom should increase my allowance to $5/week despite me never doing my chores, and when I was looking forward to going to High School. :laugh:

I'm 29 and I feel old. :laugh: :cry:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The scenario not enough people talk about in the whole Methot mess is just parking assets into things Vegas can't touch, and then reflipping those for NHL talent during the year. Yes we all know a pick can't play for you now. But what nobody on the radio or elsewhere seems to mention is that you can take those picks and flip them for today help. That Dorion didn't do that really puzzles me. The whole "lose 2 D over 1" thing only makes sense in a world where you can't make more trades after.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The scenario not enough people talk about in the whole Methot mess is just parking assets into things Vegas can't touch, and then reflipping those for NHL talent during the year. Yes we all know a pick can't play for you now. But what nobody on the radio or elsewhere seems to mention is that you can take those picks and flip them for today help. That Dorion didn't do that really puzzles me. The whole "lose 2 D over 1" thing only makes sense in a world where you can't make more trades after.

The problem you seem to be neglecting is other teams have to protect Methot as well, and other teams don't want to be blacklisted by Vegas, as they used that tactic.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Eberle is a garbage player.

Oiler fans have been ******** on him for a long time now.

He wasn't worth that much and this trade proved it.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I wouldn't be surprised to see Methot go to Dallas for their late 1st.

Gotta be more than that I think. They're shooting for picks in 2018. Gotta think Dorion at least offered the 28th overall pick for this year's draft to retain methot but wasn't enough for Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad