Speculation: General Expansion Draft Discussion | Part II

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim are just so deep with young defensemen though. Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Manson, and Montour are all 26 or younger. That's crazy to be that young on defense at the NHL level, and they still have Jacob Larsson, Andy Welinski, Jaycob Megna, and Keaton Thompson coming up behind them.

They paid a high price to preserve the present because they have luxury of being able to afford to do so. Most Ducks fans don't even think Theodore would have cracked their top-6 next fall. Ottawa isn't in that position - not even close.

Our quality prospect pool is not that deep , we have a reduced number of picks this draft, and because our prospect pool is shallow, we are in greater need of the picks.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

look at those forwards ....:shakehead

The D aren't bad but nothing like the quality we saw exposed

+ Vegas is expected to trade some of these names for prospect/picks

Given the best by far opportunity to ice a quality team thru the expansion draft .,,,

they have some picks

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004

look at those forwards ....:shakehead

The D aren't bad but nothing like the quality we saw exposed

+ Vegas is expected to trade some of these names for prospect/picks

Given the best by far opportunity to ice a quality team thru the expansion draft .,,,

they have some picks

Someone should tell him Nate Schmidt is a defenseman.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Our quality prospect pool is not that deep , we have a reduced number of picks this draft, and because our prospect pool is shallow, we are in greater need of the picks.

Yes, I agree. I posted something similar in one of these expansion threads.

I don't think trading a 1st round pick to protect Methot would have been a prudent decision for the Sens to make. I understand why they didn't do it, but I also think it's self-inflicted to a certain degree:

Not addressing depth issues last summer forced the team to go out mid-season and move out a bunch of prospects and picks to bring in an entire line of NHL forwards. They flipped a relatively high pick to move up one spot in last year's first round. They compensated the Rangers with a 2nd for paying Brassard's bonus. They added a prospect and 2nd rounder to the Phaneuf trade. All this stuff in a short period of time adds up and thins out your system - it's like death by a thousand cuts.

I think they wanted to keep Methot but couldn't justify the cost. If we were deeper in young assets - like my Anaheim example - I think they'd have paid up.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't think trading a 1st round pick to protect Methot would have been a prudent decision for the Sens to make. I understand why they didn't do it, but I also think it's self-inflicted to a certain degree:

Not addressing depth issues last summer forced the team to go out mid-season and move out a bunch of prospects and picks to bring in an entire line of NHL forwards. The flipped a relatively high pick to move up one spot in last year's first round. They compensated the Rangers with a 2nd for paying Brassard's bonus. They added a prospect and 2nd rounder to the Phaneuf trade. All this stuff in a short period of time adds up and thins out your system - it's like death by a thousand cuts.

I think they wanted to keep Methot but couldn't justify the cost. If we were deeper in young assets - like my Anaheim example - I think they'd have paid up.

I agree it would have been easier to let futures go.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Schmidt was a beast in the playoffs someone is getting a good defensemen

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Is there speculation that Schmidt is being flipped? I've heard about Methot and TVR likely being moved.

They have to keep some defensemen, right?

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Is there speculation that Schmidt is being flipped? I've heard about Methot and TVR likely being moved.

They have to keep some defensemen, right?

They have 14 defensemen, a lot of them will need to be moved or will end up being waived. Schmidt could very well be seen as a building block for them, but if he's someone they're open to moving, we should definitely inquire.

Also, only 3 of them are right-handed, those being Deryk Engelland, Colin Miller, and TVR.

Leftys: Emelin, McNabb, Garrison, Reinhart, Schmidt, Merrill, Theodore, Sbisa, Methot, Schlemko, Stoner.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
We caught up with Sens GM Pierre Dorion at the concusion of the NHL Awards in Las Vegas to get his thoughts on the Expansion Draft, Craig Anderson winning the Masterton Trophy and more...

On losing Marc Methot in the Expansion Draft to the Golden Knights:

It's definitely a big loss for our organization but I know we'll still be a very good team next year. Marc is a quality human being, a great character person and someone that helped us a lot during his time in Ottawa. Wherever he plays next year we know he'll do very well.
On talks with Las Vegas leading up to the Expansion Draft:

Throughout the process I think everyone knew that we would have liked to protect four defencemen and George McPhee and I had many discussions but we couldn't seem to come to an agreement for a trade. From that point on, we knew we were going to lose an asset but we didn't want to risk losing two or three or four assets which is the price that we saw other teams pay in order to protect a player. We feel we've got the resources and depth on defence to fill that spot.

Doesn't even give the hint of a prospect of going UFA or Trade jesus this sucks if he is deadset on solving this internally. We have no senators right now to call our lead defensive penalty killer.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Doesn't even give the hint of a prospect of going UFA or Trade jesus this sucks if he is deadset on solving this internally. We have no senators right now to call our lead defensive penalty killer.

Too be fair, he never gave any hints that he was going to trade Zibby for Brassard. All i remember him saying last year is that he liked our team and didn't want to make changes. Then boom, Zibby got traded for Brassard.

I personally have learned that you just don't listen to what gms say anymore.

I will see for myself whether or not he does something in the offseason.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We now have 5M opened up to do something in free agency or via trade.

No excuse for Dorion to do nothing on July 1st. The money is there. Need to add one more defenseman and upgrade on Condon in goal.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Apparently Minnesota needs to trade a Dman, Dorion better be on that whether it's Scandella, Spurgeon, or Brodin they could all fill the need on defence now that Methot is gone.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I'm happy Dorion did not try to negotiate a side deal to protect. Some of these teams paid a steep price. Having said that, in the few years from now when Vegas is spending to the cap and they need to sign a young RFA. I hope we offersheet him as a payback for taking Methot.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I KNOW!!!! OMG!!

You realise we still have our top 3 D in SH TOI/G from this season right?

We called Ceci our lead SH guy last year, but don't let that ruin the false facts being thrown around Methot the past 48 hours.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
1st + Chlapik for Kovalchuk
Sign Thornton/Hanzal

Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Thornton-Dzingel
Kovalchuk-Pageau-Stone
Stalberg-Brassard-Burrows

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
1st + Chlapik for Kovalchuk
Sign Thornton/Hanzal

Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Thornton-Dzingel
Kovalchuk-Pageau-Stone
Stalberg-Brassard-Burrows

You are going to be very, very disappointed with what the team does this summer.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Not addressing depth issues last summer forced the team to go out mid-season and move out a bunch of prospects and picks to bring in an entire line of NHL forwards. The flipped a relatively high pick to move up one spot in last year's first round. They compensated the Rangers with a 2nd for paying Brassard's bonus. They added a prospect and 2nd rounder to the Phaneuf trade. All this stuff in a short period of time adds up and thins out your system - it's like death by a thousand cuts.

Oh Dorions asset management caught up to him immediately you mean? And its actually cost the team one of its best players... Weird. Too bad they didnt have a player like Dahlen to get Vegas to pick someone not named Methot or Claesson?

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
We now have 5M opened up to do something in free agency or via trade.

No excuse for Dorion to do nothing on July 1st. The money is there. Need to add one more defenseman and upgrade on Condon in goal.

I don't see a trade in our future. If the team wanted to spend substantial assets on a defenseman I think they'd have done it to keep Methot.

Seems like the most likely outcome for that 5 million is that it gets eaten up internally by Pageau, Dzingel, Condon and Pyatt. The first three guys on that list all seem primed to double their salaries from last year, and Pyatt will probably get a bump as well. That alone accounts for most of the savings, and we still have 2 depth forward slots open with no real internal options to fill them.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Really.

And where was Methot in PK time this year? 4th. Ceci at 3:01. Phaneuf at 2:27. Karlsson at 2:09 and Methot at 2:04. Methot was also 4th the year before that. And 6th the year before that. 4th the year before that. And 1st the first year he was here.

We still have our three top guys on D there, this is no huge loss on the PK.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
They have 14 defensemen, a lot of them will need to be moved or will end up being waived. Schmidt could very well be seen as a building block for them, but if he's someone they're open to moving, we should definitely inquire.

Also, only 3 of them are right-handed, those being Deryk Engelland, Colin Miller, and TVR.

Leftys: Emelin, McNabb, Garrison, Reinhart, Schmidt, Merrill, Theodore, Sbisa, Methot, Schlemko, Stoner.

And there is exactly why Ceci was protected (along with age). RHD are very hard to come by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad