Prospect Info: General Discussion of Prospects

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I have a feeling that we will plan to keep Savoie and Benson together, Kulich and Ostlund aren't going anywhere and Rosen will be the odd man out dangled for immediate roster improvement.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I have a feeling that we will plan to keep Savoie and Benson together, Kulich and Ostlund aren't going anywhere and Rosen will be the odd man out dangled for immediate roster improvement.
If that’s a plan I think it’s a dumb one with no logical reasoning behind it. Benson is doing great without him right now

Reactions: Tatanka

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
With Krebs a bust, and Mitts needing a new contract, and potentially Cozens moving to wing long term, Ostlund has moved to my do not trade list.
I doubt their plan is to just randomly insert friends together long term. If they both earn a spot, both as third line wingers sure. Rosen is the logical trade; Kulich scoring is too good to let go for now.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I doubt their plan is to just randomly insert friends together long term. If they both earn a spot, both as third line wingers sure. Rosen is the logical trade; Kulich scoring is too good to let go for now.
It's not just that they're friends, it's that they have a lot of proven chemistry on a line together. Four minutes of one game that Benson wasn't even available to play in isn't remotely close to enough time to start thinking about trading Savoie away by any means. Not when he played excellent AHL hockey at 19 for us, and not when he's scoring buckets of points in the WHL and about to win a Memorial Cup now that he's been traded.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
It's not just that they're friends, it's that they have a lot of proven chemistry on a line together. Four minutes of one game that Benson wasn't even available to play in isn't remotely close to enough time to start thinking about trading Savoie away by any means. Not when he played excellent AHL hockey at 19 for us, and not when he's scoring buckets of points in the WHL and about to win a Memorial Cup now that he's been traded.
I don't think the Savoie/Benson history is a convincing rationale for keeping the former. Benson has a lot of proven chemistry with just about everyone. That's part of what's so special about his game. I've always been skeptical about the Savoie pick (for a variety of reasons), but I'm also not in a he-must-be-traded camp either. That said, Ostlund and Kulich are definitively my top two forward prospects with Savoie/ Rosen being a coin flip as to where they slot.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
That return is insane. Still very high on Savoie.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I don't think the Savoie/Benson history is a convincing rationale for keeping the former. Benson has a lot of proven chemistry with just about everyone. That's part of what's so special about his game. I've always been skeptical about the Savoie pick (for a variety of reasons), but I'm also not in a he-must-be-traded camp either. That said, Ostlund and Kulich are definitively my top two forward prospects with Savoie/ Rosen being a coin flip as to where they slot.
What about Savoie are you not high on? Injuries seem to be an issue.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
What about Savoie are you not high on? Injuries seem to be an issue.
He's redundant in our lineup would be my issue, especially with Benson. I don't think I have a problem with him per se, just he seems the most expendable vs value at this time. He is also definitely not going to be a center in the NHL.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
He's redundant in our lineup would be my issue, especially with Benson. I don't think I have a problem with him per se, just he seems the most expendable vs value at this time. He is also definitely not going to be a center in the NHL.
Not optimistic about any being centers outside of Ostlund

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm not at all saying that Savoie is in the "don't ever trade him under any circumstances ever" category by any means...we have a glut of high quality forward prospects and some of them will be moved to address other areas for sure. I'm definitely saying we haven't begun to see what Savoie can do at the NHL level since he hasn't had any realistic opportunity to show anything yet, and he's shown ample ability to score at every level prior to reaching the NHL (to be very fair...so did Krebs who is slightly more NHL sized).

If a team came along with a fantastic offer involving Savoie, I'd certainly be open to moving him but I think the better and more realistic plan will be a wait and see to try and get him and Benson together on a line and see what they can do in the National.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
I'd like to understand the rationale, would you please elaborate (not snark).
No problem. I'll preface my response with this: I'm not a professional scout and I realize my concerns could be wrong. It's not a position I'm willing to die on so those who have a problem with it, that's perfectly fine.

First, I have concerns about his durability. Prior to the draft it was concussions. Since then it's been a number of other different injuries. Part of that can be attributed to his physical play style (which is to his credit). Part of, despite his strong skating, seems to be a lack of a separation gear that leaves him vulnerable to defensive pressure.

Secondly, with the exception of his pace I don't see a lot of elite traits that, given his size, project him to be top 6. His shot, his hockey IQ, his passing, his compete all grade out as mostly very good, but to my eyes, not good enough to outweigh his size limitations and confidently project him as top 6 winger on a good team.

Anyway, I'm trying to not be too negative about his prospects (or any other Sabre picks).

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Trying to take in a bit of Vaxjo's game today over lunch. Old friend Tobias Rieder and Noah Ostlund against former old friends Remi Elie and Taylor Leier.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nothing on the scoresheet for Ostlund thus far through 2. His PK pair got scored on - not really something I would hang on him, just a well-executed play around the PP unit and Havelid scored from the point (a bit to the goalie's right, there was some traffic).

That said, the usual smart, active play and he's on the PP as the low hub too.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Opens the third with a nice play on the PP - I hope to find the isolation replay from behind the net to show how he goes to the net, presenting as a shot/shot-pass option in strong position and is a distraction to the Linkoping netminder on the third Vaxjo goal. Good stuff.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Feeling old, Rene Corbet's kid plays for Medicine Hat and he just had a spirited, long fight. Krebs' little brother is also in this game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Team Canada always makes dumb decisions

This year particularly. They went Big Brain with several decisions - roster composition, PP, and goaltending all. Goalie was not a position they had any internal competition to judge who might be best, they just pushed Rousseau out in front of absolutely everything. One upside for Ratzlaff though is he has another year of eligibility and is playing well, so maybe he actually gets some minutes in the next U20, circumstances allowing.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
This year particularly. They went Big Brain with several decisions - roster composition, PP, and goaltending all. Goalie was not a position they had any internal competition to judge who might be best, they just pushed Rousseau out in front of absolutely everything. One upside for Ratzlaff though is he has another year of eligibility and is playing well, so maybe he actually gets some minutes in the next U20, circumstances allowing.
Hopefully he does would be a decent boost for him, and would be nice if he turns into a decent goalie for us and we are able to start a pipeline of goalies

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Was thinking over coffee this morning: for all our picks in the last four years and the prospects we have in our stable, have we truly had a "breakout" performer this year?

I guess I was hoping that one of our guys would have looked like a couple round higher pick/grade A, just due to odds and the sheer numbers of guys in our ranks. It happens for other teams all the time.

Since we don't have a mid-season poll, would anyone care to throw out some arrow up/arrow down ratings for prospects they've been following? How would you rate this season for our prospects to this point? I think it's been good but not outstanding. I'm curious if maybe I'm missing someone who is trending towards a breakout season.

Arrow up
Benson (rare to make the show like he has)
Ostlund (is he top 25 in the league now?)
Komarov (he might be my answer)
Neuchev (emerging in 2024?)
Savoie (tied for WHL lead, 2 PPG)
Wahlberg (on his WJC role alone)
Ratzlaff (seeing tons of rubber)

Neutral
Kulich and Rosen (strong starts, slumps in 2024)
Lindgren (better D?)
Richard and Miedema (solid but no breakouts)
Poltapov (KHL is tough, want him here asap)
Novikov (solid, on track)
Costantini (signs of life?)
Marjala

Arrow down
Leinonen (injury and a dud for now)
Kozak (injury and no production)
Weissbach (end of the road in this org?)
Kisakov (long road still)
Nadeau (tough numbers game)
Huglen (plateaued? contract odds?)
The late round Swedes other than WvB (dream seems dead)

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Was thinking over coffee this morning: for all our picks in the last four years and the prospects we have in our stable, have we truly had a "breakout" performer this year?

I guess I was hoping that one of our guys would have looked like a couple round higher pick/grade A, just due to odds and the sheer numbers of guys in our ranks. It happens for other teams all the time.

Since we don't have a mid-season poll, would anyone care to throw out some arrow up/arrow down ratings for prospects they've been following? How would you rate this season for our prospects to this point? I think it's been good but not outstanding. I'm curious if maybe I'm missing someone who is trending towards a breakout season.

Arrow up
Benson (rare to make the show like he has)
Ostlund (is he top 25 in the league now?)
Komarov (he might be my answer)
Neuchev (emerging in 2024?)
Savoie (tied for WHL lead, 2 PPG)
Wahlberg (on his WJC role alone)
Ratzlaff (seeing tons of rubber)

Neutral
Kulich and Rosen (strong starts, slumps in 2024)
Lindgren (better D?)
Richard and Miedema (solid but no breakouts)
Poltapov (KHL is tough, want him here asap)
Novikov (solid, on track)
Costantini (signs of life?)
Marjala

Arrow down

Leinonen (injury and a dud for now)
Kozak (injury and no production)
Weissbach (end of the road in this org?)
Kisakov (long road still)
Nadeau (tough numbers game)
Huglen (plateaued? contract odds?)
The late round Swedes other than WvB (dream seems dead)
I'd put him on trending up category.

Leading scorer of his own team as a (just turned) 21-year-old in Liiga is good. On his way to win the rookie of the year as well. Center with decent size.

Has 1+1 in tonight's game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Strbak facing up to the Nazar-McGroarty tandem tonight. Interesting game thus far, plenty of rivalry intensity as one would expect with Michigan-Michigan State.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad