General Discussion (All Team/Player News/UFA Talk) - Offseason edition v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Kadri? Anyone interested? I feel he's a guy that could be had, and I imagine that Toronto would want defense.

Couple guys scoffed at my Zajac for Kadri thought the other day, and I'l risk it again.

Merrill for Kadri?

I'd rather move Larsson than Merrill at this point. But I would strongly consider this.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
ah yes, blanket statements!

look, Zids has a number of different screw ups a night and he takes a TON of stupid penalties. but we deal with it because he puts up points. He is going to be 38 years old and while I wouldn't mind him back, if we HAVE to pick one of him or Fayne I'd take the guy who is going to help the team longer.

Gelinas puts up points and is only going to improve. Zids is what he is and we aren't going anywhere next year anywyas.

He has been fine defensively for most of the season. Gelinas has been embarrassingly bad. To say Zid is just as bad defensively as him is a joke and anyone who watched the games would know that is not even close to the truth. I don't care about age, what you said about defensive ability has nothing to do with it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Heck sticking Larsson with Greene would prob be great for his development.

I agree.

But I think that means Fayne is the odd man out. Anytime Fayne was not with Greene this season he was lost.

I don't think Fayne is capable of carring a pairing

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd rather move Larsson than Merrill at this point. But I would strongly consider this.

Im just thinking Merrill has more value, and thus a Merrill Kadri deal is more reasonable then a Larsson Kadri deal.

Merrill would be a good boost to Toronto's blue line from day one. He's proven himself pretty solid, and they could certainly use solid d-man.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He has been fine defensively for most of the season. Gelinas has been embarrassingly bad. To say Zid is just as bad defensively as him is a joke and anyone who watched the games would know that is not even close to the truth. I don't care about age, what you said about defensive ability has nothing to do with it.

uhh what? Zids is what he is and is only going to play for 1-2 more years. Gelinas is turning 23 next week and will only get better.

Zidlicky absolutely stinks defensively. He is a pylon and he is a midget. But he puts up points so we put up with it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Midseason I thought trading Zid's and letting Gelinas fill that role made all the sense in the world.

But Zid's played pretty solid d last year, while Gelinas showed more and more warts as the season went on. So letting Zid's walk for nothing right now and letting Gelinas fill his role does not sit the same as the midseason scenario.

And how good can we be next year? That still depends on Lou.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not for moving ANY of the young dmen unless someone knocks our socks off....Which isn't going to happen.

NC107*

I'm not for moving ANY of the young dmen unless someone knocks our socks off....Which isn't going to happen.

I think this way as well, however I am not ready to say that Gellinas belongs this coming season unless there is major defensive improvement shown during training camp. Larsson and Merrill are a given in my opinion to play next season every game for the NJ Devils, not the Albany Devils.

Fayne is a cheap pairing with Greene. Then there is Zidlicky and whomever.

It will work.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
if you don't want to move any of the young DMen you are saying you are happy with the forwards in the organization

I, for one, am not.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
gotta bring back zid on another comparable one year deal to this past season. Also, Im hoping lou pulls off a trade for a younger forward who can play in the top 6. if it means moving a young defenseman, so be it as long as the deal is sensible. i hate the overpaying in free agency, its the biggest crock.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
if you don't want to move any of the young DMen you are saying you are happy with the forwards in the organization

No it doesn't. It says I think breaking up a talent dcorp before knowing what you truly have is shortsighted.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No it doesn't. It says I think breaking up a talent dcorp before knowing what you truly have is shortsighted.

But yet you don't want to play all three younger guys...and we can't send Larsson/Gelly down and Merrill's not going down either. So if we're not trading them and shouldn't play them all what's the solution?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But yet you don't want to play all three younger guys...and we can't send Larsson/Gelly down and Merrill's not going down either. So if we're not trading them and shouldn't play them all what's the solution?
Rotate them in and out of the lineup. Whoever earns it stays in the lineup. I have no problems with anyone of them sitting in the pressbox for half the season if need be. It creates competition and the best players should rise to the occasion.

In the 90's we were rotating Jason Smith, Souray, Bombardier a little McAlpine. Not a big deal.

Last edited:

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
In the Jagr thread, the discussion of Nicklas Jensen has come up, both as a possible acquisition and as the LW on the ZJ line. Would you trade Michael Ryder for him and let him play top6 minutes - as he has been playing with the Sedins?

I'd do the trade in a heartbeat, but Vancouver wouldn't.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rotate them in and out of the lineup. Whoever earns it stays in the lineup. I have no problems with anyone of them sitting in the pressbox for half the season if need be. It creates competition and the best players should rise to the occasion.

In the 90's we were rotating Jason Smith, Souray, Bombardier a little McAlpine. Not a big deal.

I'm pretty sure our 3 youngsters have more potential than that who's who of trash.

Smith, bombardier, and mcalpine were all meh. Souray was
Probably on par with gelinas.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

That is the absolute worst thing that could happen.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
im up for trading Ryder but im pretty meh on Jensen. if thats the offer id rather keep Ryder and hope he bounces back. there was a stretch at this start of this season where he was one of our best offensive players and we were calling him an FA steal. by no means am I advocating keeping him around for certain though, just rather explore different offers

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Okay, I've heard Mason Raymond's name a lot here....

Is he THAT good a player to go after?

and if so, what would it take to get him?

I brought him up last season and most people seemed pretty meh on him. but hes a fast skater and had a pretty good year. I dont think he would cost too much either

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Raymond's basically the celing of what Tedenby could have become...a speed guy that can be a secondary scorer with no other real attributes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm pretty sure our 3 youngsters have more potential than that who's who of trash.

Smith, bombardier, and mcalpine were all meh. Souray was
Probably on par with gelinas.
Smith was an awesome defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad