General Discussion (All Team/Player News/UFA Talk) - Offseason edition v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Don't know where to put this but there was a funny video from a few years ago with automated voices, it was a Devils fan arguing with a typical rangers fan...I can't find it though. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
I have a strong feeling that Marian Gaborik will be the lone, big FA signing.

One of the D men (likely Volchie, sadly) will be amnestied.

And we will re-sign all our players except Steve Bernier and perhaps also Mark Fayne (depending on how Lou feels about the maturing process of the young D and/or no longer wanting to carry 8 D.)

Think a darkhorse chance Marty comes back accepting the back-up role, but less than 50/50. If not, Kinky gets the shot on a cheap deal.

But Zids, JJ, Carter and Gionta all return on one-year deals. And one of the AHL youngin's holds on to the last forward spot.

So, in that case...

Your 2014/2015 New Jersey Devils:

Gaborik - Zajac - Jagr
Henrique - Elias - Ryder
Zubrus - JJ - Brunner
Clowe - Gionta - Ruutu
Carter - Boucher

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Zidlicky
Gelinas - Salvador
Harrold

Schneider
Kinkaid (*Brodeur*)

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I have a strong feeling that Marian Gaborik will be the lone, big FA signing.

One of the D men (likely Volchie, sadly) will be amnestied.

And we will re-sign all our players except Steve Bernier and perhaps also Mark Fayne (depending on how Lou feels about the maturing process of the young D and/or no longer wanting to carry 8 D.)

Think a darkhorse chance Marty comes back accepting the back-up role, but less than 50/50. If not, Kinky gets the shot on a cheap deal.

But Zids, JJ, Carter and Gionta all return on one-year deals. And one of the AHL youngin's holds on to the last forward spot.

So, in that case...

Your 2014/2015 New Jersey Devils:

Gaborik - Zajac - Jagr
Henrique - Elias - Ryder
Zubrus - JJ - Brunner
Clowe - Gionta - Ruutu
Carter - Boucher

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Zidlicky
Gelinas - Salvador
Harrold

Schneider
Kinkaid (*Brodeur*)

Sal has no business here over anyone, let alone Fayne

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
I am so glad the Devils re-signed Jagr. This shows the Devils will not tank this season. No other way to look at it. I'm looking forward to some UFA signings this summer.
I wouldn't be able to tolerate a meaningless tank season. These last couple playoffs have been bad enough!

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Weren't there rumors that Gaborik wouldn't waive his NTC to come here at the deadline. I don't think he'll be the greatest fit but he's the player that Zajac and Jagr need.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I'd probably rather sign Hemsky than Gaborik

Me too, but I'd prefer to trade off Ryder and/or Brunner if we were to acquire Hemsky. All three are skill players, and the RW spot on line one is already vacated by Jagr. That right side would be awfully soft

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
I can't see them letting Fayne go and starting all three of the kids on D. We all know that will not happen with this regime and Gelinas defensively has made the decision rather easy for them to justify it.

In terms of forwards am I missing something with JJ? I keep seeing him plugged into projected lineups as the 3C.. We are talking about the guy with a whopping 6 points in two years correct?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I can't see them letting Fayne go and starting all three of the kids on D. We all know that will not happen with this regime and Gelinas defensively has made the decision rather easy for them to justify it.

In terms of forwards am I missing something with JJ? I keep seeing him plugged into projected lineups as the 3C.. We are talking about the guy with a whopping 6 points in two years correct?

Josefson is never going to be a huge point producer in the NHL but I don't see why he can't be a consistent bottom 6 center in this league. He is a lot like Marcus Kruger from CHI (whom he used to play with I believe)

he is a great skater and great defensively. he should have a spot on this team.

NC107*

If he's trying to make a splash, *ONLY* getting Gaborik isn't going to be enough.

He needs to get one Other but as ZBC stated earlier, one of the Cement-shoes D-men(Sal, Volch) have got to go first.

At least he sign one of our own UFA before the deadline.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Per Fayne:

As someone pointed out he doesn't put up much by way of points, his +/- is pretty middling, and he's played 70+ games twice in his career. Not to mention that one has to wonder how much of his success is playing with Greene.

He does have a solid postseason on his resume, which helps his case, but I can't see teams opening up the checkbook to get Mark Fayne.

Would be very surprised to see a team offer $4 mil per. And if they did I'd let him walk. I just can't see, given how many defensemen we have in the organization, paying a premium for a player of Fayne's ilk.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I honestly can't believe that anyone could look at Lou's actions in the past 2 years and say he has not adapted and that he is just going to sit idly and ice basically the same team as this year without attempting to improve the areas that need attention.

Look at what he did to Marty, for chrissakes. The guy was our starter, still had a year left on his deal and Lou brought in his heir apparent a year early basically telling him it was over. What makes anyone think he won't send any of these clowns to the glue factory without a second thought?

He has bought out countless players, many of whom have given far more to this franchise than guys like Salvador.

I think all this is much ado about nothing and the Jagr signing is proof that Lou is getting ready to roll this summer.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

So do u give the 23 yr old former 1st rnd pick a chance or do you write him off as a bust? That's where we are. I go the former. Too little by way of young offensive talent on this team not to.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Per Fayne:

As someone pointed out he doesn't put up much by way of points, his +/- is pretty middling, and he's played 70+ games twice in his career. Not to mention that one has to wonder how much of his success is playing with Greene.

He does have a solid postseason on his resume, which helps his case, but I can't see teams opening up the checkbook to get Mark Fayne.

Would be very surprised to see a team offer $4 mil per. And if they did I'd let him walk. I just can't see, given how many defensemen we have in the organization, paying a premium for a player of Fayne's ilk.

He is a mobile top 4 shutdown DMan. those do not grow on trees.

I would bet money on him signing between $3-4 million per year. you don't just let players like that walk.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I honestly can't believe that anyone could look at Lou's actions in the past 2 years and say he has not adapted and that he is just going to sit idly and ice basically the same team as this year without attempting to improve the areas that need attention.

Look at what he did to Marty, for chrissakes. The guy was our starter, still had a year left on his deal and Lou brought in his heir apparent a year early basically telling him it was over. What makes anyone think he won't send any of these clowns to the glue factory without a second thought?

He has bought out countless players, many of whom have given far more to this franchise than guys like Salvador.

I think all this is much ado about nothing and the Jagr signing is proof that Lou is getting ready to roll this summer.

That's not the way it went down at all.

But I do think Lou will make moves. Hope they are not of the Clowe variety.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Josefson is never going to be a huge point producer in the NHL but I don't see why he can't be a consistent bottom 6 center in this league. He is a lot like Marcus Kruger from CHI (whom he used to play with I believe)

he is a great skater and great defensively. he should have a spot on this team.

Josefson needs to do something to stay in the lineup...It's tough being a bottom 6 player when have little physical game.

If Josefeson could score at half the rate of Kruger, which is isn't all that spectacular, he would be in the lineup. Kruger scored 9 goals in his rookie season, Josefson has 7 in his 118 game career...That is borderline ridiculous.

Josefson has a tough road ahead of him...Mostly because any player can give the coaching a reason to be in the lineup over Josefeson.

A player who brings energy, feistiness and physicality like Gionta is going to be a better option for certain situations and guy who can score a bit like Loktionov is going to better a option in other situations...

Even with both of those guys gone there is always going to be someone on the team that is tougher or can score more or both as a better options.

Josefson has to do something to distinguish himself as a useful player. The only way that is going to happen is if he can chip a few in early and gain the confidence of the coaching staff.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He is a mobile top 4 shutdown DMan. those do not grow on trees.

I would bet money on him signing between $3-4 million per year. you don't just let players like that walk.

You can't have all three young defensemen play AND keep Zid/Fayne. I like Fayne but he's not an irreplaceable being, he's a stay at home D that isn't physical, doesn't play a lot of special teams and would be a #4 or #5 on most teams.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
That's not the way it went down at all.

But I do think Lou will make moves. Hope they are not of the Clowe variety.

Actually it is. Lou knew he needed a goalie to replace Marty and went and got him a year early. If that doesn't tell Marty this is it, then nothing does, short of cutting him.

The fact remains that Lou could have waited until this year to find the goalie, but he didn't. He went out and got the guy he wanted, in spite of the fact that we still had Marty. Proving again, that no one player is above the team in Lou's eyes. Not even Marty.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You can't have all three young defensemen play AND keep Zid/Fayne. I like Fayne but he's not an irreplaceable being, he's a stay at home D that isn't physical, doesn't play a lot of special teams and would be a #4 or #5 on most teams.

I would rather keep Fayne than Zidlicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad