General COVID-19 Talk #3 NHL Qualifiers begin August 1 MOD Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This why I keep hogs...

... freezer is full and they greedy as a pig.

intro-1551985716.jpg

HANG DAI, WU!

a02d3b7720e7658975f18fdf6bf6f1da.jpg

Reactions: Token

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
"If your social life is gonna be impacted by new lockdown restrictions, you're probably the reason we're getting new lockdown restrictions"

We may be bereaved, but we're not stupid!! Is there a Ralph's around here?

The social life thing is starting to really bother me.

"Come hang out. Come over. Let's hook up. etc"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Uh. Covid. I don't want to kill my mother" who is almost 80 with heart issues"

"You p***y. I never thought you were a p***y.

After some initial skepticism due me already having "that flu" in Dec Jan I have been very vigilant.

Soooooo booooooooored.

Reactions: Bandit

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

"No."

"Why not?"

After some initial skepticism due me already having "that flu" in Dec Jan I have been very vigilant.

Soooooo booooooooored.
Yeah it’s definitely not easy. Having hobbies helps but damn I do miss going out and doing shit from time to time.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Token

May 15, 2019
Efficacy vs Effectiveness.

That’s where the rubber meets the road.

Efficacy - in a hyper-controlled environment, how good is the gizmo at doing its thang.

Effectiveness - in the real world where we express free will, how good is the gizmo at doing it’s thang when half of us don’t trust/want/get it, third of us don’t get the second dose, another third of us don’t got access to the gizmo to begin with.

Also of note: both mRNA vaccines we all giddy about wrap the actual mRNA gizmo into Lipoproteins to keep them from falling apart.

I wonder what that Statin I take for my high cholesterol will do the vaccine...

Fun times, Noodle Salad.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014

"No."

"Why not?"

Soooooo booooooooored.
You live with your mom or she live with you?

Sit outside at a distance with masks on?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Not a huge Newsom fan, but not a Newsom hater either. I was pissed when he moved the goalposts again yesterday, but I can't really argue with the results we've gotten here compared to other places. My Disney fanatic friends want to lynch the guy, no joke. But when I point out that we are exponentially higher risk in So. Cal compared to other states and their numbers dwarf ours, they say that's the only thing keeping them from storming the Governor's mansion. I've had annual passes before, but some of those people are completely bonkers. :laugh:

His legacy in California, as well as his re-election chances, completely hinge on the numbers when all this is said and done.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Could you please explain this line to me and as the great philosopher Michael Scott once said

giphy.gif

Vector transmission is all about population density. Orange County has twice the population of the Dakotas combined, which is mind boggling. All Vectors need a host, without them they don't spread. In many places in the Dakotas, you could literally go out all day and maybe see a handful of people. Even if the interactions are more intimate and close up, you have minimal hosts for transmission.

Here's your 5-year old explanation: Imagine you have 100 poke balls. Where could you increase your collection more, in a big field where the Pokemon are really spread out, or in a small area where they are all bunched together?

Most of the people live in the population centers, but the density in those areas is far lower. The area of the Fargo metropolitan area is listed as 2,800 square miles, compared to 950 square miles for Orange County. Now consider that the entire Fargo metropolitan area has a smaller population than Irvine, in an area almost triple in size. Their cities have half the density of what we would call suburbs here. I mean, to have major spreading events where you are among the worst in the world in an area like that takes dedication. Not only do you have to purposely avoid personal safety, you have to take being an asshat to the next level. It also illustrates just how well California is doing compared to states in the midwest, even with the density handicap.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Vector transmission is all about population density. Orange County has twice the population of the Dakotas combined, which is mind boggling. All Vectors need a host, without them they don't spread. In many places in the Dakotas, you could literally go out all day and maybe see a handful of people. Even if the interactions are more intimate and close up, you have minimal hosts for transmission.

Here's your 5-year old explanation: Imagine you have 100 poke balls. Where could you increase your collection more, in a big field where the Pokemon are really spread out, or in a small area where they are all bunched together?

Most of the people live in the population centers, but the density in those areas is far lower. The area of the Fargo metropolitan area is listed as 2,800 square miles, compared to 950 square miles for Orange County. Now consider that the entire Fargo metropolitan area has a smaller population than Irvine, in an area almost triple in size. Their cities have half the density of what we would call suburbs here. I mean, to have major spreading events where you are among the worst in the world in an area like that takes dedication. Not only do you have to purposely avoid personal safety, you have to take being an asshat to the next level.
I agree that SoCal is much higher risk than your example and the Wyomings and Iowas of the world

So wouldn't the East Coast, especially the upper NE be at the highest risk. NYC, Jersey, Philly, etc? A large part of the Eastern Timezone is higher pop density than So Cal. I would also include Chicago.

This is all before factoring in weather. A poster in the Covid forum here is a champion of central Air conditioning / heating/ ventilation systems being a real culprit.
I think the colder weather will push the East Coast and Midwest population centers even closer together

Early on I compared OC to Connecticut. OC's current estimated population is about 3.2 million
These were the numbers as of yesterday for both CT and OC

upload_2020-11-17_10-15-38.png

upload_2020-11-17_10-17-50.png

Note- I am not saying that we aren't in danger or OC's size doesn't put it at risk, I am saying that I don't think we are much further in to the "Danger Zone" than The Upper NE and bigger cities of the Midwest

Reactions: KINGS17

Token

May 15, 2019
Could you please explain this line to me and as the great philosopher Michael Scott once said

giphy.gif
Wait! WAIT!

I got a better one driving with funny ...

... it’s cuz you dirty and don’t wash them hands ...

Pluck I’m bored ....

Reactions: Lt Dan

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Note- I am not saying that we aren't in danger or OC's size doesn't put it at risk, I am saying that I don't think we are much further in to the "Danger Zone" than The Upper NE and bigger cities of the Midwest

The NE is definitely higher risk than So. Cal. One reason it's tilted there is, like you mentioned, HVAC. It's starting to get cold there so any indoor space outside of your home is going to have risk. It's ironic that the big focus early on was how COVID was going to die in the Summer. Well, the weather helped us here in an unanticipated way as we aren't completely reliant on climate control like the hot humid/cold freezing midwest.

One thing that also puts them a step above in my mind and gets lost in the discussion is their transit system. Hopping on a train or public transport with thousands of others is second nature there, where here pretty much everyone drives. That's a huge factor in transmission. Los Angeles and So. Cal is probably the only huge metro area where public transport isn't a 'thing', and while the traffic can suck it's an advantage right now. This kind of thing is fluid because cities do adjust over time, like how well NYC and SF have been doing after they both had pretty terrible peaks. It's just another piece to the puzzle.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The NE is definitely higher risk than So. Cal. One reason it's tilted there is, like you mentioned, HVAC. It's starting to get cold there so any indoor space outside of your home is going to have risk. It's ironic that the big focus early on was how COVID was going to die in the Summer. Well, the weather helped us here in an unanticipated way as we aren't completely reliant on climate control like the hot humid/cold freezing midwest.

One thing that also puts them a step above in my mind and gets lost in the discussion is their transit system. Hopping on a train or public transport with thousands of others is second nature there, where here pretty much everyone drives. That's a huge factor in transmission. Los Angeles and So. Cal is probably the only huge metro area where public transport isn't a 'thing', and while the traffic can suck it's an advantage right now. This kind of thing is fluid because cities do adjust over time, like how well NYC and SF have been doing after they both had pretty terrible peaks. It's just another piece to the puzzle.
I think we are on the same page here

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Both sides suck shit through a garden hose:

View attachment 376519

f*** it Dude, let's go golfing...
What's more appalling is that the chlorox in chief hasn't had a meeting with the task force for several weeks. The number of infection has gone up and all he's interested is his bruised ego. Truly despicable and not a peep from the Repubs... still afraid of a tweet.

Reactions: Maynard

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2020-11-17_13-14-43.png

2 days in a row of no deaths
2 days in a row under 500 cases
LOL, this was my first youtube result. I guess youtube thinks I am full of shit ;)

2.3% positives today. This is one of the highest number of tests reported that I can remember
Big jump in hospitalization it was was 257
ICU with a nice slide down from 85
man-dancing_1f57a.png

Rolling 7 day

Tues:0
Mon:0
Sun:2
Sat:2
Fri: 2
Thu:6
Wed: 2

The average is a solid 2

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Laughing, she’s lived with you for all of your 47 years on this earth. Be honest. It’s commendable though that you take such good care of her.

You know so little it's laughable. You don't even know how old I am.

For as much time you were around me you still know nothing about my life. I think that says it all. It was all about you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad