General COVID-19 Talk #3 NHL Qualifiers begin August 1 MOD Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
is 2 years considered "temporary"?

i suppose in strict terms, yes

seems like playing with fire if i'm newsom though, i'd almost rather set up a special election if that's an option

interesting topic regardless
Actually, I don't think Newsom has an option. The governor is required to appoint someone, then the state constitution requires the seat to be on the ballot in the next general election.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Gonna be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the next year as people are extremely passionate in response to current events in ways we've never seen before. More civic involvement--particularly in local/state levels--is phenomenal. And it's been a while since I was a teacher but man those high school kids were REALLY into making a difference via voting so here's hoping the general ambivalence towards politics becomes more positive rather than simply angry/reactionary.
while i agree, i fear sometimes the kids have the wrong birds chirping in their ears nowadays though, not exactly a glut of balance or reason being presented in the political sphere, especially towards youth. things are getting a bit wild for my tastes

suppose it's a pendulum swing though, like you say
Actually, I don't think Newsom has an option. The governor is required to appoint someone, then the state constitution requires the seat to be on the ballot in the next general election.
yeah i mean, if the rules dictate appointment, appointment it is. would be hypocritical of me to suggest otherwise given that we just had this argument re: the supreme court appointment

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Curfew again. 10pm - 5am

"California governor announces month-long curfew"

https://twitter.com/i/events/1329559927996571649?s=09

Last edited:

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
McSally in AZ, too. And will likely happen to replace almost any representatives selected for Biden's cabinet. This particular incident is much ado about nothing. Most states have this in their laws.

Now if we want to complain about Newsome being just the latest in the longest string of politicians to suck at leadership by example, I'm all ears
I know what Newsome did isn't appropriate and is even magnified because he is the governor. I get it. There are dumb ones on the left and right. But I'd remind everyone that other republican governors are not even recognizing the recommendations by CDC. Democratic governors are asking their citizens to wear masks. Now take a look at Noem of South Dakota. No mask mandates, no plan, and you can see their states with more covid infections per capita than California. They're telling their citizens to be as dumb as they are.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
The California state constitution allows Governor Newsom to appoint someone to take Harris' seat in the Senate. In the next general election (2022) that Senate seat must be voted on by the people. Whoever wins serves the remainder of the Harris 6-year term. Since Harris was elected in 2016, whoever wins the 2022 senate election will serve a full 6-year term.

This is how John Seymour served as our Senator after Pete Wilson was elected Governor. Wilson appointed his own replacement. Seymour later lost the special election to finish Wilson's term to Dianne Feinstein.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
while i agree, i fear sometimes the kids have the wrong birds chirping in their ears nowadays though, not exactly a glut of balance or reason being presented in the political sphere, especially towards youth. things are getting a bit wild for my tastes

suppose it's a pendulum swing though, like you say

yeah i mean, if the rules dictate appointment, appointment it is. would be hypocritical of me to suggest otherwise given that we just had this argument re: the supreme court appointment

No for sure. Every yahoo on the internet having a voice doesn't help. In my classes we spent a lot of time talking about source reliability. But I generally see/believe them to be more open-minded, at least--very few of them were committed to EITHER party, most were committed to principles. That sure beats blind rah-rah party line cheerleading, the biggest obstacle in this country.

I know what Newsome did isn't appropriate and is even magnified because he is the governor. I get it. There are dumb ones on the left and right. But I'd remind everyone that other republican governors are not even recognizing the recommendations by CDC. Democratic governors are asking their citizens to wear masks. Now take a look at Noem of South Dakota. No mask mandates, no plan, and you can see their states with more covid infections per capita than California. They're telling their citizens to be as dumb as they are.

The Dakotas have the highest per capita IN THE WORLD right now. It's crazy. Lots of stories from medical personnel of people calling Covid a hoax as they get hooked up to a ventilator. It's very scary and a total dereliction of leadership. Handling it differently is one thing, this is entirely another...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
is 2 years considered "temporary"?

i suppose in strict terms, yes

seems like playing with fire if i'm newsom though, i'd almost rather set up a special election if that's an option

interesting topic regardless
When we have U.S. senators, some of whom get elected in their 40's or 50's, and serve for the rest of their lives (Boo!), two years is very temporary.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I know you don't particularly like this and if anything it's a pretty broken concept lately, but imo most states do a pretty good job of pulling back towards the center when they start to lean extreme. IMO Arnold is symbolic of how that works in CA. Your 'Republican' governor isn't likely to be Tea Party right. Laura Kelly in Kansas might be an example of the opposite, at least until Covid.

Of course, neither party will willingly cede a representative seat if they can help it.

Gonna be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the next year as people are extremely passionate in response to current events in ways we've never seen before. More civic involvement--particularly in local/state levels--is phenomenal. And it's been a while since I was a teacher but man those high school kids were REALLY into making a difference via voting so here's hoping the general ambivalence towards politics becomes more positive rather than simply angry/reactionary.
I don't see the pendulum effect in California having any chance of occurring for quite some time. This state lurches further and further left with each passing election. It will have to hit rock bottom before anything changes. As long as this state is propped up by tax revenues from big tech, it can limp along.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I don't see the pendulum effect in California having any chance of occurring for quite some time. This state lurches further and further left with each passing election. It will have to hit rock bottom before anything changes. As long as this state is propped up by tax revenues from big tech, it can limp along.
I lived 3 years in Seattle and that city voted for every tax. Took everyone's car tabs to go up by $400 to rethink taxes and they only thought about them for a NY minute. City Council up there was crazy and they are bonkers now. People are nice but too many idealistic pedestrians in the city who vote for things and pass on the bill to people who drive. That's how they get stuff passed. Gas Taxes, Toll Tax, Car Tabs. that's where people get nailed up there for the transportation department which is a job's program.

With Newsom, I like the controls to keep the pandemic down-we've done that dance already in the past conversations; yet hate and in most circumstances recall for diverting cash from roads for other projects because that to me is a red line because our roads are just shit.

Would just be afraid who would come after post pandemic in a Dem SuperMajority.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Papa Mocha 15

Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
The Dakotas have the highest per capita IN THE WORLD right now. It's crazy. Lots of stories from medical personnel of people calling Covid a hoax as they get hooked up to a ventilator. It's very scary and a total dereliction of leadership. Handling it differently is one thing, this is entirely another...

f***, I've seen that. It's weird to look in someone's eyes who can't breathe and they still call it a hoax. Then they slowly realize they might die in this room and they didn't expect life to end that way for them.

One of my biggest concern now is nurses quitting where the pandemic is really breaking out and drags on. There is no cavalry coming with 45 and nurses make about $30ish bucks an hour in places like SD, Idaho etc which is about $56k/year. That's a small salary to risk your life and your families over by comparison when staff is reusing PPE, hospital admin is doing what they can but still coming up short and at times contrary to what evidence suggests.. Coding a Covid patient is very dangerous for us because we all get exposed....the burn out is real. If you ever see a Respiratory Therapist out there on a Covid unit after all this is done, buy that man/woman dinner sometime. Those guys get more crap on them and make a lot less money. I have so much respect for that crowd.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
@Papa Mocha 15 you are one of my favorite people here.

I am very glad that you gave us your very detailed and intelligent political and nursing takes but I kinda feel like you left us hanging not giving us your feelings /pros and cons on people living with their Mom.

Reactions: Papa Mocha 15

Papa Mocha 15

Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
@Papa Mocha 15 you are one of my favorite people here.

I am very glad that you gave us your very detailed and intelligent political and nursing takes but I kinda feel like you left us hanging not giving us your feelings /pros and cons on people living with their Mom.
Yeah, I'm gonna dodge that conversation :) If you want that colorful commentary, that would 1. need its own thread 2. Little Bunny Foo Foo would need to come weigh in 3. as well as they one guy who barely spoke English that had those crazy ass posts from 2010 to 2012 that you had to be on crack to get to get me to engage on that one ..; Until then, I totally dig @Legionnaire and will refer to his good judgment to live life as he pleases. Full respect to the man who steps in to take care of his Mom, I get to see a lot of shitheads out there leaving their family to die so it's a better alternative to care for someone who cared for you. :) (in my head, why is always death and dying with me?..#ohyeahfcknpandemic )

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, I'm gonna dodge that conversation :) If you want that colorful commentary, that would 1. need its own thread 2. Little Bunny Foo Foo would need to come weigh in 3. as well as they one guy who barely spoke English that had those crazy ass posts from 2010 to 2012 that you had to be on crack to get to get me to engage on that one ..; Until then, I totally dig @Legionnaire and will refer to his good judgment to live life as he pleases. Full respect to the man who steps in to take care of his Mom, I get to see a lot of shitheads out there leaving their family to die so it's a better alternative to care for someone who cared for you. :) (in my head, why is always death and dying with me?..#ohyeahfcknpandemic )
I understood his posts perfectly. I can't believe you guys didn't figure out what he meant when he said, "I wrecked my girlfriend."

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2020-11-20_13-40-39.png

All I can say is
tenor.gif

We had been worrying about 500 cases in a day and 1169 is just ...wow
and 8% positive tests

Hospitalization up 29 from yesterday
ICU up from 83

Rolling 7 day
Fri:3
Thu:7
Wed: 2
Tues:0
Mon:0
Sun:2
Sat:2

a 3 replaced a 2 so the average climbs to 2.28

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
those ICU stats are pretty wild, you were around 50 beginning of the month iirc

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005

This narrative originated in a CNN interview of a travel nurse in South Dakota. It may be another situation similar to that nurse in Chicago back in April who made some wild claims that turned out not be credible.

FACT CHECK: CNN's Viral COVID-19 Nurse Might Have Overembellished A Bit

CNN's South Dakota Nurse's Story Unravels Even Further, and It Just Gets Strange

RedState used to be a legitimate conservative site pre-Trump. Now it's mostly a useless MAGA clickbait site. But it looks like it may have engaged in a random act of journalism here. This type of story is just too good to fact check for CNN and other similar news outlets.

Not suggesting things aren't worse in the Dakotas, but I doubt there are many people whose last words are along the line that COVID is a hoax.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
This narrative originated in a CNN interview of a travel nurse in South Dakota. It may be another situation similar to that nurse in Chicago back in April who made some wild claims that turned out not be credible.

CNN's South Dakota Nurse's Story Unravels Even Further, and It Just Gets Strange

RedState used to be a legitimate conservative site pre-Trump. Now it's mostly a useless MAGA clickbait site. But it looks like it may have engaged in a random act of journalism here. This type of story is just too good to fact check for CNN and other similar news outlets.

Not suggesting things aren't worse in the Dakotas, but I doubt there are many people whose last words are along the line that COVID is a hoax.
I am going to invite HeadInjury to my birthday party this year

Keith Sweaty

Apr 13, 2015

I saw that live on CNN. Definitely seems like there was some exaggeration as I can't imagine someone's last dying breath would be COVID isn't real. The more frustrating part about all of this is the need to fact check every single story no matter which way the particular news outlet leans. Spending 20 minutes combing through different articles about that nurse on Google, the articles that wrote the nurse was lying and it wasn't true were Fox News and other conservative outlets and the ones reposting the story were major news outlets and liberal-leaning sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad