Confirmed with Link: Gelinas re-signs for 2 Years

GhostofKenKlee

Moore seems like a player they shouldn't of gotten unless trade is incoming or he's a canidate for the 7th. defenders/bottom pairing off the bat.

GhostofKenKlee

He's going to be a bottom-pairing defenseman... what's the problem with that?

I dunno, would rather seen someone with more experience than him signed in UFA. Oduya and others to alleviate/eat minutes over Moore. Plus Helgelson and a few others are canidates for 5/6/7.

That's my two cents.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I dunno, would rather seen someone with more experience than him signed in UFA. Oduya and others to alleviate/eat minutes over Moore. Plus Helgelson and a few others are canidates for 5/6/7.

That's my two cents.
I'd rather have good competition for those spots. We sign a veteran for that spot and we guarantee a veteran fills it. We sign Moore for it, and everyone's fighting for a spot. Competition is good.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think I'd rather see:

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Severson
Moore - Gelinas

Man, every single one of our defenders is an above average skater (including Larsson).
People are going to be surprised by Moore, he may have an occasional brain fart but man can that guy fly like the wind!

I prefer the following

Greene- Larsson
Moore- Severson
Merrill- Gelinas

I just couldn't stomach Moore and Gelinas on the same line, that would scare the living crap out of me!

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
We'll have a young defense next year... on one hand it's good cause they need to develop, on the other hand I'm affraid next year could be long... again. Splited feelings here.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Next season is going to be tough win loss wise regardless. Might as well be tough while developing youngsters.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Kid has always reminded me of Souray for some reason without the nasty streak. Souray was always considered a defensive liability, but you could not disregard that cannon. Souray never played top pairing, he was usually a #3/4 and used on the PP. Even his best production years he was a significant minus. But that likely was outweighed by his offensive production. Pair him with your solid two-way D Man and see how it works.

maybe not nasty... but he does hit. I can see him throwing down a couple times next year.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
because our forwards are still dreadful

yes, they improved by adding Palmieri, but you have to remember that even as bad as guys like Ryder/Havlat were, we also need someone to replace Bernier and Gomez's production

I know the forwards are still gross, and I'm fully expecting another long offseason next summer (please prove me wrong).

I'm speaking more to the people that are saying how the season will be long and brutal. I, for one, am excited to see how the young D follow up last year, and how the young forwards we have coming up carve their niches.

Plus, Hynes' new system is all about development. He and Shero know what we have and what we don't have. This isn't another Lou/PDB year of plugging in old guys and praying to God we get the eighth seed. This year will be about shaping the young guys, and then re-evaluating what we have and don't have.

That by itself makes this upcoming season more exciting. We have direction.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
oh I am 100% more excited for this year than I was last. if we're going to suck, at least we will seemingly be doing it with the young players growing rather than the old man squad floating around and just cashing paychecks every night.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
We could be much improved and still end up with the same record becuase the Metro is gonna be a beast. But at least we will enjoy it and not have to watch Ryder, Havlat, etc

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We all say we're going to enjoy it now...But when we see kids getting burned night after night, I doubt people will say, "Aw shucks, at least they're learning."

Just look at the patience people have for Merrill.

As long as we're tough to play against, I'll be fine. Parts of last year, I was ashamed of the team for the first time in my life.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
oh I am 100% more excited for this year than I was last. if we're going to suck, at least we will seemingly be doing it with the young players growing rather than the old man squad floating around and just cashing paychecks every night.

This.

Which is also why I don't understand the fans that want to see us trying to sign forwards UFA's. I want to watch the kids play/grow in this system this season. Semin may provide some scoring and could possibly be used as trade bait, but he also takes up another roster spot and has a ****** work ethic & attitude.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think I'd rather see:

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Severson
Moore - Gelinas

I feel more comfortable keeping Severson with Greene then putting him with Merrill. At least at first. Also I want Merrill to have a more steady, responsible partner early on too.

Both pairings will get plenty of minutes. No reason to lean on just one pairing with our defense. It is pretty balanced, especially the top 4.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
There is NOTHING better in sports than watching young players on the team you love grow into their roles and eventually win a championship.

I'm not saying we'll have a cup in the next 5-10 years, but if we do, you'll be able to think back to this time and watch the whole evolution.

Nothing is better.

Techno Devil*

That's my two cents.

I don't think there are a lot of people here that would mind having Oduya on the team. However, the thing with solid #2-#4 defensemen is that they usually pick contenders unless they are grossly overpaid. Im not sure what happened on the open market but I think there are a lot of teams that probably would have given Johnny at least 4.5 million stralmans. we've had guys like that in the past. Think tallinder. Injuries aside, do you think Tallinder in his early thirties would help the devils out? I too would rather see a guy jump off the Albany queue, get 15 points, and learn to play NHL defense at six figures.

Man, every single one of our defenders is an above average skater (including Larsson).
People are going to be surprised by Moore, he may have an occasional brain fart but man can that guy fly like the wind!

I prefer the following

Greene- Larsson
Moore- Severson
Merrill- Gelinas

I just couldn't stomach Moore and Gelinas on the same line, that would scare the living crap out of me!

I agree, but for reasons listed above, we don't have stalwarts on the back end to mitigate an unbalanced pairing. Plus, I think a lot of people over-looked the fact that Zids was probably the worst on-puck defensemen to play for an extended period of time in a devils uniform over the last decade.

I don't think Moore is as ultimately shoddy as proclaimed, and Gelly certainly has all the makings of adequacy. Lets pray some of this development actually comes to fruition.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
There is NOTHING better in sports than watching young players on the team you love grow into their roles and eventually win a championship.

I'm not saying we'll have a cup in the next 5-10 years, but if we do, you'll be able to think back to this time and watch the whole evolution.

Nothing is better.

I'm a '95 baby, so I wasn't around for the 'building' of the foundation for our Cups.

I'm excited for this time around, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad