Confirmed with Link: Gelinas re-signs for 2 Years

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Great deal. Right amount of $$. Anyone know if he's still a RFA at the end of the deal or will he be a UFA?

EDIT: TG just stated it takes him to 26, to when he'll be a RFA again. One year from UFA.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good now we can focus on Larsson. I know it's RFA compared to UFA but Gelinas is actually getting paid a hair less than Moore.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Eric+Gelinas+2.png

Excited to see some more Gelinukes this year, hopefully in an expanded PP role.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Wow, great deal. The money is good for us AND makes him an attractive trade option for other teams should he be moved.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Great deal. Right amount of $$. Anyone know if he's still a RFA at the end of the deal or will he be a UFA?

I believe he will have one more RFA year. He currently has had his entry level deal plus last year, so that would make 6 years at the end of this new contract, and he will still be 26, not 27.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Good bridge deal for him to show that he can continue to grow and improve. When it's done, he could either take a nice step up or else he's still an RFA for us.

think it sets the bar now for Larsson on something similiar at a slightly higher number. Maybe 2 years, 4 - 4.5 mil. unless he opts to go longer term which case say he gets 5 years and 18 mil.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Good bridge deal for him to show that he can continue to grow and improve. When it's done, he could either take a nice step up or else he's still an RFA for us.

think it sets the bar now for Larsson on something similiar at a slightly higher number. Maybe 2 years, 4 - 4.5 mil. unless he opts to go longer term which case say he gets 5 years and 18 mil.

If Larsson's agent lets him sign for 18 over 5 he should be fired.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Sign and trade?

All depends on what the Devils have in Hrabarenka, Helgeson, & Mozik - if one of them can step up and show they deserve top 6 minutes like Severson did last year, maybe Gelinas becomes expendable. If not, you wait and see how guys like Gelinas, Moore & Merril do under Hynes and re-evaluate in another year when these guys have some more experience at the NHL level (one of them is likely to be the 7th d-man, plus injury call-ups) and potentially Santini is ready to compete for a spot.

I don't think you go looking to deal any of these young defensemen until you have to.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Larsson will get a deal that takes him a year before UFA status, in my opinion.

Devils can pay extra to ensure that right now, and they can prepare for it so it does not affect their cap situation.

GhostofKenKlee

What's going to be interesting is the play of the youngster under Nasserdeine and them fitting in with this motto they are working with. Fun times indeed...

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I really like this deal. 2 year deal to see if Gelinas can take the ball and run with it. This is assuming that he isn't dealt anywhere in the mean time.
I expect big things from Gelinas this season. almost 4 years in the NHL, break out incoming?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
sweet...had this weird feeling this would go to arbitration but thank God it didn't

now go give big Daddy a longterm deal

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really like this deal. 2 year deal to see if Gelinas can take the ball and run with it. This is assuming that he isn't dealt anywhere in the mean time.
I expect big things from Gelinas this season. almost 4 years in the NHL, break out incoming?

Gelinas has almost two years NHL experience, not almost 4 years.

Hopefully they let him play his game, and not try to force him to play more like Colon White.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
All depends on what the Devils have in Hrabarenka, Helgeson, & Mozik - if one of them can step up and show they deserve top 6 minutes like Severson did last year, maybe Gelinas becomes expendable. If not, you wait and see how guys like Gelinas, Moore & Merril do under Hynes and re-evaluate in another year when these guys have some more experience at the NHL level (one of them is likely to be the 7th d-man, plus injury call-ups) and potentially Santini is ready to compete for a spot.

I don't think you go looking to deal any of these young defensemen until you have to.

No, it doesn't. None of those players (nor any others on the roster) have a skillset similar to Gelinas. Those guys listed are irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad