Confirmed with Link: Gelinas re-signs for 2 Years

NJN225

Jul 22, 2013
New York
No, it doesn't. None of those players (nor any others on the roster) have a skillset similar to Gelinas. Those guys listed are irrelevant.

First of all you cant just say those guys are irrelevant because they don't have the same playing style. Of course they're relevant. Should you elect to move Gelinas, you need a replacement, not a carbon copy of the guy.

Second, his skill set at the moment is basically a big shot. Mozik is by all accounts an offensive defenseman and seems to have a shot that could put up points from the blue line.

I'm not saying to trade him but to just write off everyone else as irrelvant because they aren't the same player is crazy to me.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Good deal for both sides. The Devils get to see if he can put it together over the next two years. If he does, he gets a nice raise on his next contract. If he doesn't, the contract doesn't hurt the team.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Awesome contract for the Devils
It's a look and see if he has it or not. I didn't think he was the offense at the sacrifice of his defense that we should keep. Now let's see if he will work for a Devils contract in 2.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm surprised how good the contract is considering how much of an ass his agent was last year. Either he told his agent to zip it, or his whole side feels better about his playing situation going forward.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I'm surprised how good the contract is considering how much of an ass his agent was last year. Either he told his agent to zip it, or his whole side feels better about his playing situation going forward.

No more negotiating with Lou :sarcasm:

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
I like me some Gelinas, awesome player!!!
He said "it`s a nice little bridge deal" - bridge to what? to see how good he is in 2 years and make a long term contract?

I would like to keep him as well as severson, larsson and merrill in the team long term!

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Kid has always reminded me of Souray for some reason without the nasty streak. Souray was always considered a defensive liability, but you could not disregard that cannon. Souray never played top pairing, he was usually a #3/4 and used on the PP. Even his best production years he was a significant minus. But that likely was outweighed by his offensive production. Pair him with your solid two-way D Man and see how it works.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
First of all you cant just say those guys are irrelevant because they don't have the same playing style. Of course they're relevant. Should you elect to move Gelinas, you need a replacement, not a carbon copy of the guy.

Second, his skill set at the moment is basically a big shot. Mozik is by all accounts an offensive defenseman and seems to have a shot that could put up points from the blue line.

I'm not saying to trade him but to just write off everyone else as irrelvant because they aren't the same player is crazy to me.

Gelinas has a way better shot than both of them. It isn't even close. Watch some tape instead of reading scouting reports.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Really happy with this. I hope he comes through this year. If he is ever able to develop on the defensive side of the ice, he'd be invaluable to the team. That shot is lethal on the PP.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Really happy with this. I hope he comes through this year. If he is ever able to develop on the defensive side of the ice, he'd be invaluable to the team. That shot is lethal on the PP.

One of his larger issues is how he approaches the puck in his defensive zone and it is a result of the poor awareness and angles he takes.

More often than not you'll see him just skate towards the puck without giving a look at what the situation behind him looks like and on top of it, he skates more or less straight to the puck instead of taking an angle which would give him more awareness and options rather than just blindly going in and throwing the puck up one of the boards.

It's a recipe to get stuck in your own end and we've seen it too frequently with him, so hopefully this new staff is able to pick up on and tweak this.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
One of his larger issues is how he approaches the puck in his defensive zone and it is a result of the poor awareness and angles he takes.

More often than not you'll see him just skate towards the puck without giving a look at what the situation behind him looks like and on top of it, he skates more or less straight to the puck instead of taking an angle which would give him more awareness and options rather than just blindly going in and throwing the puck up one of the boards.

It's a recipe to get stuck in your own end and we've seen it too frequently with him, so hopefully this new staff is able to pick up on and tweak this.

Very sound observation, I can recall more than one occasion where he's been abused on the forecheck for taking a bad angle to the puck and it's led directly to a goal.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Very keen observation.

I've seen plays where, if you were to draw a line tangent to the corner, Gelinas' path would be exactly perpendicular to that line. Skating directly to the puck, with his back to his opponents. Of course he'll get abused on a play like that.

Fortunately for us, that is a very fixable issue. I hope the coaches are on him all camp/preseason to get him used to taking smarter angles.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

He really needs to be paired with someone who excels in transition. It's no coincidence that he has looked the best in his career when playing with Larsson and Zidlicky. Mozik seems to be good in this regard, if he makes the team it could mean good things for Gelinas as well.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He really needs to be paired with someone who excels in transition. It's no coincidence that he has looked the best in his career when playing with Larsson and Zidlicky. Mozik seems to be good in this regard, if he makes the team it could mean good things for Gelinas as well.

Greene-Severson
Gelinas-Larsson
Merrill-Moore

Me gusta.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Prior Larsson's second half of the season resurgence, he played some of the better hockey we've seen from him while paired with Gelinas and the same can be said about Gelinas.

Larsson has always been a strong, accurate passer for the most part and the two styles each has can work well together, so we'll see what the coaches think and have in store.

Given that this is going to be a pretty significant trial year, I wouldn't be surprised if we see them back together again at some point.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
swap Gelinas and Merrill and flip Moore to the LD and Gelinas at RD and I'm in.

The thought there was to reunite Gelinas and Larsson, since they both seemed to complement each other well when they played together last year.

Given fan reports of Moore, I wouldn't exactly want him paired with Gelly.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The thought there was to reunite Gelinas and Larsson, since they both seemed to complement each other well when they played together last year.

Given fan reports of Moore, I wouldn't exactly want him paired with Gelly.

Eh, that's true. I've seen a lot of Moore and I don't think he's any worse defensively than Zidlicky though and Gelinas played fairly well with him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad