Waived: Gelinas [Cleared]

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They had to move a core player just to get some depth in this org. That's not a good strategy, every few years we shouldn't be sacrificing that just to make up for the losses that have piled up in the years between. Just gathering assets and hoarding draft picks is the other extreme of the spectrum, we aren't even approaching that. Having one deadline where they get a good pick to add would be on the way to balance.

I get that this is a philosophical debate and people just aren't going to agree but I flat out see this as critical to getting out of this mess.

That is likely what is going to happen this next summer too. Followed by a transition to a 'new' core (the one the 13 rebuild/retool will be judged on). The 09 rebuild failed. There were some good pieces, but that front office rushed the process. The 13 rebuild was likely more of a retool and some holes still haven't been filled. I'd say this version is doing better as a long-term view, but it isn't without fault.

Teams have gotten out of these ruts without hoarding picks. It isn't the only way to build a team. I know I won't change your mind on that though. To me the biggest issue is this team continually takes way too big of risks when filling the most important spots in the lineup without a coherent backup plan... combined with them just not being aggressive enough in getting the young talent they really need, even if it hurts short term.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not asking them to hoard picks. Having one draft where they have an extra pick or one deadline where they add a high pick is not asking for hoarding.

I want the asset base for this team to increase and part of that is picks but I understand it involves other types of moves. Either way the net of these moves better start moving in a positive direction.

To make some of those aggressive moves to fill a need a premium is going to be paid and they need to have things to spend and not completely hit the team in another area to do it. Build up the asset base and they can have a better chance of making it happen.

Last edited:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I honestly never thought he was as bad as people made him out to be. Think he should have been given a little more of a chance here. Realize I am in the minority, or quite possibly a singular group. haha.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Well if nothing else he will put up some points in the A and perhaps garner some interest that way. Or help them down there win some games. Idk trying to find some positives here

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He's bad, it was a bad move. But I'm most disappointed that people will still be discussing this five years from now. :laugh:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Given what guys like Kris Russel, Polak. JML returned at the deadline last year I'm not maz about the 3rd rounder. Value it was a decent deal.

I'm still hoping my gelinas for Holland dream pans out.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Given what guys like Kris Russel, Polak. JML returned at the deadline last year I'm not maz about the 3rd rounder. Value it was a decent deal.

I'm still hoping my gelinas for Holland dream pans out.

We can have the slowest and laziest "power forward" line in the NHL. Can you imagine Colborne-Holland-Iginla out there? They'd dominate the 10 seconds behind the play stat like no one else.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So...wait a minute. They sent down Gourque and Henley and they DIDN'T send down Gelinas even though he cleared!? So is this another stupid Mitchell situation where they're just trying to send a message?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
So...wait a minute. They sent down Gourque and Henley and they DIDN'T send down Gelinas even though he cleared!? So is this another stupid Mitchell situation where they're just trying to send a message?

I don't think this was about sending a message, I really don't see how it could have been. I mean, what message is there to send with Gelinas? Mitchell, sure, maybe. He's a veteran on the team, someone who's been here a while...maybe that was intended to rattle them a little bit. But Gelinas? He's not been here too long, he's only played 13 games total with the club, and he's been scratched most of the year. I don't think there was any attempt to send a message with Gelinas. What their actual reason was? I don't know.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
They've shown plenty of time before that they have no problem waiving a guy in order to give themselves more flexibility with the roster so I don't think the Gelinas stuff should be too surprising.

A trade still isn't out of the question with a team that wants to trade a contract and have a guy they can send down without losing him but I doubt that's the case here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad