Waived: Gelinas [Cleared]

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Not a Gelinas fan, but the guy does one thing really well and that's his work on the PP. The staff's refusal to at least give him a shot there was weird.

He makes a lot of money, not sure if he'll get claimed.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I said it on our podcast last night but not tough to see it coming with the Goloubef acquisition. I guess the question is this more flexibility and trying to get rid of the contract or would they actually assign him to SA?

I agree that considering the salary he makes its not likely he gets claimed. If a team is interested they probably try to work a trade.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Good thing they wasted a third on him, but it clearly wasn't working here for whatever reason, so I hope he does get picked up so he has a real chance elsewhere.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's never going to be a stud but he's also never been used properly in an Avs uniform. Sad to see this happen but I doubt he gets claimed so it isn't a big deal.

I liked the trade at the time and I still like Gelinas as a bottom pairing D. I know I'm alone with that opinion though. Really wish he would have been given some type of opportunity before it came to this.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Is this the thread where people will ***** and moan about the Avs giving up a 3rd round pick for him, and act like that 3rd round pick would be the difference between this team being good or bad?

I'm a bit surprised that there wasn't any type of trade made with him prior to going on Waivers, but perhaps the Avs are hoping he goes unclaimed, then assigns him to SA (thus reducing his cap hit ~900k) and then trading him while retaining the buriable cap space....

Or he goes unclaimed and nothing happens, like with Mitchell.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Dude was brought in to play on our PP and I cant recall a game he played where he was ever on the PP. Granted, most of the time I didnt think he should have been playing due to his suckage but still in the games he did play they should have given him a look on the PP. Ah well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ah, I was wondering how long until the 3rd round pick .000001% chance of being an NHL player < actual NHL player would come up. Regardless of the fact that the NHL player is overpaid, doesn't have a use and isn't good. Gelinas will help SA though if he gets there.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ah, I was w during how long until the 3rd round pick .000001% chance of being an NHL player < actual NHL player would come up. Regardless of the fact that the NHL player is overpaid, doesn't have a use and isn't good. Gelinas will help SA though if he gets there.

It literally took until post #2 before someone made a (veiled) mention at the pick that was traded for him...but I guess THAT'S okay because draft picks are what really matter?

I wish Gelinas would've gotten some time on the PP, if for anything just because he has a nice slapshot, but it didn't happen and I do find it strange it didn't. We also don't know what Roy's plans would've been for him this year either, so there's that to consider as well.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
He will clear. Hope he doesn't though.

You guys are missing the big picture. This trade could have been a lot worse. He could have got the Holden extension this summer.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
You can't bring a guy in just to play on the PP anymore if he's sooo bad in the rest of his minutes. Gimme a guy who can at least be decent in 17-20 minutes a night even if he doesn't play on the PP over a mess like Gelinas.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Is this the thread where people will ***** and moan about the Avs giving up a 3rd round pick for him, and act like that 3rd round pick would be the difference between this team being good or bad?

According to this logic, combined with the strawman of "are you really going to pretend a third round pick is the difference between this team being good or bad" (which nobody has ever said), you can pretty much justify trading any non-first/second round pick for any player whatsoever, regardless of how stupid the trade was / how the bad the player is.

God forbid anyone complain about a bad trade considering the player in question got 13 games in an Avs uniform before being slapped on waivers. Yes, it is relevant, considering this could potentially be the conclusion of how that deal turned out. But, it's me, and it involves Roy and management, so here you are.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ah, I was w during how long until the 3rd round pick .000001% chance of being an NHL player < actual NHL player would come up. Regardless of the fact that the NHL player is overpaid, doesn't have a use and isn't good. Gelinas will help SA though if he gets there.

I doubt it. Would probably be similar to Redmond/Gormley when they were sent down last year. Gelinas works hard in the offseasons and all but being waived by the worst team in the NHL and being sent to one of the worst teams in the AHL generally isn't a recipe to be motivated for a 25 year old who has almost 200 NHL games under his belt.

Realistically he probably is only a tweener AHL/NHL caliber player right now and he should go down and commit to being better but in most of these cases the player is so frustrated that they generally stop caring.

If he goes unclaimed he will likely try for one last NHL shot next year and if that doesn't work out he'll be off to Europe. If he gets claimed he will get that shot this year and if it fails probably cross the pond after this season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Waste of time and a pick.

Last deadline Avs gave up a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick and a 20 year old defender that has 16 points in 14 AHL games this year. They have nothing to show for it.

It's a waste of resources for a team that has wasted enough of them in the past.

All of this for a 'playoff push' for a team that was on pace for 86 points. Avs messed up. Hopefully Wood become good enough for Sakic to never forget this lesson.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I doubt it. Would probably be similar to Redmond/Gormley when they were sent down last year. Gelinas works hard in the offseasons and all but being waived by the worst team in the NHL and being sent to one of the worst teams in the AHL generally isn't a recipe to be motivated for a 25 year old who has almost 200 NHL games under his belt.

Realistically he probably is only a tweener AHL/NHL caliber player right now and he should go down and commit to being better but in most of these cases the player is so frustrated that they generally stop caring.

If he goes unclaimed he will likely try for one last NHL shot next year and if that doesn't work out he'll be off to Europe. If he gets claimed he will get that shot this year and if it fails probably cross the pond after this season.

His talent level would help but yeah the mindset you'd have to worry about. It's probably best he's involved in a swap one way or another.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
According to this logic, combined with the strawman of "are you really going to pretend a third round pick is the difference between this team being good or bad" (which nobody has ever said), you can pretty much justify trading any non-first/second round pick for any player whatsoever, regardless of how stupid the trade was / how the bad the player is.

God forbid anyone complain about a bad trade considering the player in question got 13 games in an Avs uniform before being slapped on waivers. Yes, it is relevant, considering this could potentially be the conclusion of how that deal turned out. But, it's me, and it involves Roy and management, so here you are.

Yeah, I didn't single you out specifically. There are plenty of people who get all up in arms when a dear, dear, draft pick is included in a trade.

And the ONLY thing I mentioned, with regards to Roy, is we don't know how Gelinas would've played with him this year. I didn't mention anything about Roy and his possible involvement in trading for Gelinas (which if we go off of what's to be believed, Roy didn't have as much say in roster decisions last year--that was Sakic and MacFarland).

This ****ing place lately...

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If a team was interested in swapping for him, wouldn't that have been completed already? Unless that other club wants to send Gelinas to the AHL I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad