Waived: Gelinas [Cleared]

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don't think this was about sending a message, I really don't see how it could have been. I mean, what message is there to send with Gelinas? Mitchell, sure, maybe. He's a veteran on the team, someone who's been here a while...maybe that was intended to rattle them a little bit. But Gelinas? He's not been here too long, he's only played 13 games total with the club, and he's been scratched most of the year. I don't think there was any attempt to send a message with Gelinas. What their actual reason was? I don't know.

I feel like we know less about this team now than ever before. Landy's injury is a great example, why the heck they're waiving players for no reason, random call ups and sending them down after they played well... Not a lot of anything makes sense. They're going back to being as air locked as the KGB.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What's the point in waiving him if they don't send him down.

Either two things are going on.

1) Avs don't see Gelinas in their future plans, thus they waived him in the hopes of a team grabbing his contract, giving the Avs more flexibility for the future. This is what Avs did with Johnny Mitchell.

2) Sometimes when you have a trade in the works, the other team requests the player to be put on waivers so they can send him down at any time (without their fear of losing him). This in particular happens quite a bit with borderline NHL players, Avs did this with Kyle Cuminskey when trading him to the Ducks. It also could have happened when Avs traded Parros to Ducks for a 2nd rounder, but my memory is a bit clouded on details.

There is a lot of rumours of Peter Holland being available from the Leafs. He isn't anything breathtaking, but brings a good mixture of size and toughness when having the puck. IMO a trade for him for Gelinas makes too much sense since Toronto are looking for defenders as well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
To me it's a bit different than the Mitchell situation since Gelinas' replacement has already been brought in. And Bednar said Goloubef is going to get a look. Mitchell they'd never actually send down, Gelinas I think they absolutely would make that swap when they are ready to see Goloubef.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gelinas apparently wasn't happy when he was scratched in NJ and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing here. He seems like someone who would be miserable in the AHL and would probably make everyone aware of that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Same as the Mitchell situation. They waived him only to see if a team would bite and take on his salary. It's not about getting them in San Antonio.

That'd be quite a lazy and unprofessional way to do things. Sending an email (or just a call) to the other GM's to ask them if they are interested would be a bit more appropriate.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Kind of disappointing to give up a 3rd round pick for a guy that clear waivers through 29 other teams a year later. Almost like he's not a good player...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't really think healthy scratching will have much of a long term effect on this group of players.

Perhaps sitting EJ/Barrie a period if they keep playing like they are will have desired effect but Colborne/Söderberg/Grigorenko? They are what they are.

I liked G-Bork last night. He's not that good, but he's playing hard and doesn't take bad penalties when forechecking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad