WWE: GDT: Wrestlemania 39

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Because he gets you invested. He makes you genuinely want to see him lose everything he has.
It’s the opposite imo, he makes you genuinely want to skip to the end. You’re just sitting there and keep looking at the clock to see if the end is near because you’ve seen the same match from him thousand times already.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It’s the opposite imo, he makes you genuinely want to skip to the end. You’re just sitting there and keep looking at the clock to see if the end is near because you’ve seen the same match from him thousand times already.
I'm not a stickler for matches having to be so different every single time they happen.

Almost all Rock, Austin, classic Hogan, etc matches were the same.

Of course some variation is nice but I watch for the storytelling more than the actual in-ring movesets.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Could you imagine if they decided to swerve and not pull the trigger on shawn and give us "the boyhood dream comes true"?

You only get so many opportunities where right time, right place happens. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like they let an absolute golden slam dunk pass them by. Cody will never be this hot. Sami will never be this hot.

Undefeated Cody winning is far more interesting than this.

Reactions: EverettMike

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I'm not a stickler for matches having to be so different every single time they happen.

Almost all Rock, Austin, classic Hogan, etc matches were the same.

Of course some variation is nice but I watch for the storytelling more than the actual in-ring movesets.
There are better storylines in tv-series, if they’re going to have 45mins of wrestling in between the storytelling at least try to make it less repeative. It’s not a issue just with Reigns but he is the worst offender. I shouldn’t be forced to watch the same match over and over again just to see where the story is going.

Also heavily disagree with the ”Allmost all Rock, Austin etc matches were the same” statement. They all were much better storytellers in the ring, like they actually made you feel the need to watch their matches because they could add to the story in the ring by themselves, that never happens in Reigns matches till the outside interference happens.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Could you imagine if they decided to swerve and not pull the trigger on shawn and give us "the boyhood dream comes true"?

You only get so many opportunities where right time, right place happens. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like they let an absolute golden slam dunk pass them by. Cody will never be this hot. Sami will never be this hot.

Undefeated Cody winning is far more interesting than this.
Who has Cody beat since returning in this feud? Solo?

The guy needs to chase. He hasn’t had the chase yet.

He came back night 1 after however long his layoff was, came in at #30 and tossed a guy who was in the rumble for over an hour out. Great.

Like I said numerous times over the past month. He’s the guy to beat Roman, absolutely. His time isn’t now.

I’m glad they did what they did.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah this feels like a missed opportunity. Like i said, i don't like Cody but you spent the last 6 months building up to this?

Depending on how jaded you are, you could have had 3 opportunities to crown your next guy;

Drew in Cardiff (this was the most obvious finish of the three but the heat was there to make it work if they chose)

Sami in Montreal (red hot storyline but they actually wrapped up his part fairly well so credit where due)

Cody tonight (i don't like him but the crowd is legitimately behind him, everything lined up and they just...didn't pull the trigger)

Triple H has generally been on the money with most of his booking but this is a very polarizing decision that could totally kill Cody's momentum. The momentum that likely would have carried him to the top and cemented him as your guy as Roman winds down.

I definitely don't buy the "lol they buried him because AEW" with H in charge. I just hope whatever ideas he has is worth the gamble. I'm also not at all a fan of Auska not getting her moment. That also feels like a shortsighted decision.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Who has Cody beat since returning in this feud? Solo?

The guy needs to chase. He hasn’t had the chase yet.

He came back night 1 after however long his layoff was, came in at #30 and tossed a guy who was in the rumble for over an hour out. Great.

Like I said numerous times over the past month. He’s the guy to beat Roman, absolutely. His time isn’t now.

I’m glad they did what they did.
This could be an all-time blunder.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nah. He’s going to win it, tonight just wasn’t the time.
I have a problem with this like of thinking.

Wrestlemania is THE time for stories like this. The white hot babyface rides the road of adversity to finally overcome the big bad and cement himself as the man. Happened with Michaels, Austin, Cena, Batista, Roman MULTIPLE TIMES.

If you don't want to pull the trigger on him here, then when? Roman has been champion for eons with the same dusty finishes. If the guy was beating dudes clean earlier in the reign it would actually make sense as this match could have been framed as a paranoid demigod losing his grip on everything and resorts to cheating to maintain it. But nope, same finishes we've gotten for close to 3 years now.

And looking at it short-ish term, there's literally no one left to challenge Roman. He beat Drew. He's beaten Brock...several times. He's beaten Sami, Cody and everyone else associated with the bloodline story not named Solo Sikoa.

Trips has earned a biiiit of leeway but man people are rightfully going to tear this apart and the heat will only ramp up depending how the next chapter unfolds.

Reactions: King 88

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I have a problem with this like of thinking.

Wrestlemania is THE time for stories like this. The white hot babyface rides the road of adversity to finally overcome the big bad and cement himself as the man. Happened with Michaels, Austin, Cena, Batista, Roman MULTIPLE TIMES.

If you don't want to pull the trigger on him here, then when? Roman has been champion for eons with the same dusty finishes. If the guy was beating dudes clean earlier in the reign it would actually make sense as this match could have been framed as a paranoid demigod losing his grip on everything and resorts to cheating to maintain it. But nope, same finishes we've gotten for close to 3 years now.

And looking at it short-ish term, there's literally no one left to challenge Roman. He beat Drew. He's beaten Brock...several times. He's beaten Sami, Cody and everyone else associated with the bloodline story not named Solo Sikoa.

Trips has earned a biiiit of leeway but man people are rightfully going to tear this apart and the heat will only ramp up depending how the next chapter unfolds.
People can absolutely tear this apart. I get it. I can see why people are frustrated. There’s a bigger picture here.

Why should we pull the trigger on a guy who has faced zero adversity, hasn’t had f*** all to do with the bloodline story, has been spoon fed since returning?

Like I said, Cody is the guy, he just needs to have to overcome something.

Cody returned, wrestled Corbin (jobber) and WALTERS lackey in a random match, and Solo. He’s essentially had one credible win since returning. He hasn’t even been beaten up by the bloodline. Not even a sniff of adversity.

He came back, and they piggybacked him on Sami Zayns story.

I think we need to see Cody fight an uphill battle.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
People can absolutely tear this apart. I get it. I can see why people are frustrated. There’s a bigger picture here.

Why should we pull the trigger on a guy who has faced zero adversity, hasn’t had f*** all to do with the bloodline story, has been spoon fed since returning?

Like I said, Cody is the guy, he just needs to have to overcome something.

Cody returned, wrestled Corbin (jobber) and WALTERS lackey in a random match, and Solo. He’s essentially had one credible win since returning. He hasn’t even been beaten up by the bloodline. Not even a sniff of adversity.

He came back, and they piggybacked him on Sami Zayns story.

I think we need to see Cody fight an uphill battle.
I would argue the pec injury was the adversity. He had the sympathy card and fans generally ate it right up.

Wouldn't be the first time they hotshotted a guy coming off an injury into the big one. Did it with Triple H in 2002 (and i'd argue that build was worse because of the Steph aligning with Jericho shit that matter the latter look like a total geek) and Cena to an extent in 2008.

If that isn't enough then it won't ever be enough.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I would argue the pec injury was the adversity. He had the sympathy card and fans generally ate it right up.

Wouldn't be the first time they hotshotted a guy coming off an injury into the big one. Did it with Triple H in 2002 (and i'd argue that build was worse because of the Steph aligning with Jericho shit that matter the latter look like a total geek) and Cena to an extent in 2008.

If that isn't enough then it won't ever be enough.
That pec injury has nothing to do with this feud.

We knew that Cody would be “the guy” to beat Roman since he came to the WWE.

Since coming back, he hasn’t had to do shit. He yelled at Paul Heyman and beat up Baron Corbin. That’s it.

To see Cody win a belt so easily while the likes of Sami/KO/Drew (whoever) had to go to war for months against the bloodline would have been dumb.

Like I said, this manufactured “story” they made up hasn’t even started yet. Let’s see Cody struggle, let’s see him neck deep vs the bloodline.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The worst decision of the night wasn’t Cody losing to Roman, it was Finn losing to Edge.
The booking in general was trash.

I don't see why Edge needs to win that match. He's 49, probably on the outs soon. Judgement day need Ws since i assume this is the part where Rhea starts to drift away do to her own thing. Instead they run that nonsense and once again Demon Finn looks like a dork.

Finn is probably one of the biggest "what ifs" of the last decade or so. I do wonder how different things would look for him if he didn't blow out his shoulder during the Universal title match at Summerslam in 2016. Basically either never recovered or was never trusted again.

Bianca should have lost. Fans are starting to get bored of her being female super cena and once again, Auska changes her gimmick up for basically no reason other than to job,

I'm not sure if i think the triple threat booking was trash persay, but it would have made sense to get the belt off of Gunther and prepare for his ascent to the top of the card and let Drew/Sheamus beat the breaks off of each other for the IC title. This would have worked better in conjunction with Cody going over. This one doesn't make me as mad because there are plenty of avenues you could use to get Gunther moving and that match was a BANGER.

Absolutely tonedeaf especially compared the otherwise rational/logical booking of night one.

Edit: The one theory i saw that i really liked that Finn's f***ups in trying bail Dom out against Rey and losing to Edge leads to a story where he gets his ass booted from the group and Rhea takes over as leader which would be...interesting. Finn is kinda back to being a dork again after this anyway.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I would have had Asuka go over as well, but I can understand keeping the belt on Bianca. The toughest part for Asuka is her selling feuds and title matches.

Literally all we saw from her was playing air guitar with the title and random dancing. I feel like they don’t want her to talk or don’t trust her enough, which sucks.

There just aren’t any real threats to Bianca at this point. That’s what happens when you put all your money into 3-4 women and toss the rest into random tag teams.

I fully expect Natalya’s 56th new tag partner this year to be a zucchini in two weeks.

Reactions: dahrougem2

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Reigns is reaching peak HHH peak reign of terror

This guy has zero need or reason to he double champion now.

Keeping the belts on him at WM39 simply makes now sense

How is the bloodline finished when they hold most of the belts and likely the Uso win the tag titles back

Wasn't Sami trying to dissolve the bloodline seeing how much of a tyrant Reigns is? The bloodline is still strong as ever

Bad booking by HHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad